Arrests coming due to college bball kickbacks

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Has this already been posted? (apologies if it has)

NCAA doing what they do best...Kansas, LSU, and Arizona doing bad stuff? Throw the book at.....UMass. Over $252. For a phone jack. That the two athletes involved never used and did not even know they had. Or needed (cell phones don't use phone jacks in the wall).

Somebody should just cancel tjhe NCAA and put them out of their pain and misery.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer

NCAA doing what they do best...Kansas, LSU, and Arizona doing bad stuff? Throw the book at.....UMass. Over $252. For a phone jack. That the two athletes involved never used and did not even know they had. Or needed (cell phones don't use phone jacks in the wall).

Somebody should just cancel tjhe NCAA and put them out of their pain and misery.
Just when you start to think that the NCAA cannot get any stupider -- if that was not a word it is now -- and incoherent, it does. There obviously is no low to the NCAA. The P5 conferences ought to pack up and walk off, though I doubt they would improve things, At least they would start over. With GT it was about the same amount in clothing, clothing that was returned as I recall. That is the inverted equivalent of the Rays pulling a lights out pitcher because he was coming up on the third time through the batting order. Against three batters he had whiffed a total of six times already, and one of those was a batter who could not hit a lefthander with a tennis racket. In short, so stupid it can't happen. Except.

slugboy

Staff member
Just when you start to think that the NCAA cannot get any stupider -- if that was not a word it is now -- and incoherent, it does. There obviously is no low to the NCAA. The P5 conferences ought to pack up and walk off, though I doubt they would improve things, At least they would start over. With GT it was about the same amount in clothing, clothing that was returned as I recall. That is the inverted equivalent of the Rays pulling a lights out pitcher because he was coming up on the third time through the batting order. Against three batters he had whiffed a total of six times already, and one of those was a batter who could not hit a lefthander with a tennis racket. In short, so stupid it can't happen. Except.
It’s not a smart/stupid thing. The NCAA is a predator, and they eat the prey they can take down. Arizona is an elephant, and UMass is a baby gazelle. It’s lunchtime.

GTHomer

Ramblin' Wreck
It’s not a smart/stupid thing. The NCAA is a predator, and they eat the prey they can take down. Arizona is an elephant, and UMass is a baby gazelle. It’s lunchtime.
Decisions like this will cause schools to think about whether they should self report minor infractions. Why penalize the student-athletes for a university clerical error that did not impact the field of competition? Common sense obviously is not a consideration for the NCAA.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
But it appears that in this case they did self report a clerical error and still received the maximum penalty available for that violation. Unintentional didn't matter. Self reporting didn't matter.
I agree. As I recall, we self-reported too, both the Ron Bell and the Coach Labarrie infractions. And we also imposed penalties, suspending players and a coach. And then a year or more later, the NCAA “investigated”, said “look what we found!”, and penalized us for what WE told THEM had happened. So yeah, self-reporting doesn’t help you at all.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I agree. As I recall, we self-reported too, both the Ron Bell and the Coach Labarrie infractions. And we also imposed penalties, suspending players and a coach. And then a year or more later, the NCAA “investigated”, said “look what we found!”, and penalized us for what WE told THEM had happened. So yeah, self-reporting doesn’t help you at all.
Slug Boy is right. The toothless by demand NCAA trails the herd and picks off the stragglers, making sure it gets its membership dues from the institutions and strangles its only asset, the athletes who pack paying customers in.

slugboy

Staff member
Not sure how self reporting helped UMass and it certainly did not help us. Penalties for nickle and dime administrative errors is the worst thing the NCAA could do while ignoring (or not promptly penalizing) Kansas and LSU.

The NCAA changed up their documentation, but our penalties got escalated even though we self-reported. We did not get "institutional lack of control", but we got moved up a penalty level--it seems mainly because LaBarrie covered up at first.

(edit to add: largely agree. The NCAA said they took the cooperation into account and hammered us anyway.)

The new categories don't seem to have the same escalation path--https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/infractions/d1/glnc_grphcs/D1INF_InfractionsViolationLevels.pdf

Last edited:

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
There just isn't any consistency in the NCAA. They are all over the place with enforcement and penalties plus who can tell whether a player can transfer with immediate eligibility. This player likeness change to allow payment is probably an admission they can't control impermissible benefits and are just giving up.

Deleted member 2897

I really hate UNCheat for many reasons. But I do have to admit they solved the NCAA riddle. When approached by the NCAA, they just told them to go pound sand. That appears to be the route that ends up with the best outcome.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I really hate UNCheat for many reasons. But I do have to admit they solved the NCAA riddle. When approached by the NCAA, they just told them to go pound sand. That appears to be the route that ends up with the best outcome.
They spent $18M in legal fees, forced out the President, and made the AD retire. Several staff in the AD academic advisory office were forced to retire or leave. The AFAM professor and secretary retired. I do agree the NCAA should have enforced penalties. It went on there for 18 years. They also got some penalties in football over impermissible benefits and ousted Butch Davis. That is how the AFAM scandal was found to begin with.

Deleted member 2897

They spent $18M in legal fees, forced out the President, and made the AD retire. Several staff in the AD academic advisory office were forced to retire or leave. The AFAM professor and secretary retired. I do agree the NCAA should have enforced penalties. It went on there for 18 years. They also got some penalties in football over impermissible benefits and ousted Butch Davis. That is how the AFAM scandal was found to begin with.

And they re-hired a new football coach who was, wait for it, wait for it, the original architect of the fake classes in the first place.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer

The moral of the story continues to be "don't comply with the NCAA". All of the teams who just go along seems to get completely railroaded. The LSU/Kansas types just ignore and pay lawyers to keep the NCAA away.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
NCAA needs to go to a regional review panel made up of 3 former court judges. Disciplinary action for a school can not be heard in the same region that the school is located. For example: LSU disciplinary actions can not be heard in the Southeast and would have to be done in another region. That way it prevents any regional biases.

Of course, there's probably a good reason why the NCAA wouldn't do that. Can't have judges applying the rules evenly to their cashcows when you can make Cleveland State pay with blood.