Arrests coming due to college bball kickbacks

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
The wheels of justice move so slowly that it may take 2 to 3 years to even sniff going to court. K would be 75 or 76 by then and could retire prior to any outcome. All that depends on whether it is settled first which is more likely. With the NCAA just deny deny deny. They have no legal power thus the reason to not let it get to a courtroom.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
His legal team says the contract was not valid since she is not a registered sports agent in NC. She claims he was a legal resident of SC when he signed. She has a lot to tell about impermissible benefits while at Duke. I would expect a settlement to keep it out of court. She claims to have some info on extra benefits.

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
His legal team says the contract was not valid since she is not a registered sports agent in NC. She claims he was a legal resident of SC when he signed. She has a lot to tell about impermissible benefits while at Duke. I would expect a settlement to keep it out of court. She claims to have some info on extra benefits.

I can tell you about a couple but it would be hearsay.

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
Wow (regarding Zion's parents' home after he committed to Duke)!
What is interesting to me is how such a thing could be kept secret at the time. How could this garish malfeasance be missed by a Carolina or NCSt insider who would love to see Duke burn? Wouldn't there be even ONE Carolina fan who is in law enforcement or public office that could do a little sniffing around? Is EVERY insider complicit???

What is interesting is how the public opinion machine is perfectly fine with ignoring this kind of blatant cheating, but then, for capricious reasons, is then so apt to assume a position of outrage.

What is the mechanism of crossing this threshold from willing to ignore cheating in plain site on this scale and transition from blind eye to public outrage? Where are the whistle blowers and what is the force inhibiting the clean people with eyes in their head from blowing their whistle???

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Wow (regarding Zion's parents' home after he committed to Duke)!
What is interesting to me is how such a thing could be kept secret at the time. How could this garish malfeasance be missed by a Carolina or NCSt insider who would love to see Duke burn? Wouldn't there be even ONE Carolina fan who is in law enforcement or public office that could do a little sniffing around? Is EVERY insider complicit???

What is interesting is how the public opinion machine is perfectly fine with ignoring this kind of blatant cheating, but then, for capricious reasons, is then so apt to assume a position of outrage.

What is the mechanism of crossing this threshold from willing to ignore cheating in plain site on this scale and transition from blind eye to public outrage? Where are the whistle blowers and what is the force inhibiting the clean people with eyes in their head from blowing their whistle???

It hasn't been a secret for a long time. If you search these threads, we joked about the Durham home while Zion was STILL playing for Duke. Duke players' parents living in affluent neighborhoods while the players were at Duke has been an open secret for years and it's well documented and joked about on the internet.

Why doesn't UNC tattle? Because UNC would basically telling on themselves. Same with NC State.

What's the NCAA going to do? Shutdown all of their cash cows? I'm not sure there's a clean program inside the top 10. Instead, they will just make an example of a few programs...sacrificial lambs to appease the public until the next NCAA tournament starts.

I think we understand it's all a f$cking sham at this point.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
It hasn't been a secret for a long time. If you search these threads, we joked about the Durham home while Zion was STILL playing for Duke. Duke players' parents living in affluent neighborhoods while the players were at Duke has been an open secret for years and it's well documented and joked about on the internet.

Why doesn't UNC tattle? Because UNC would basically telling on themselves. Same with NC State.

What's the NCAA going to do? Shutdown all of their cash cows? I'm not sure there's a clean program inside the top 10. Instead, they will just make an example of a few programs...sacrificial lambs to appease the public until the next NCAA tournament starts.

I think we understand it's all a f$cking sham at this point.

Very well-stated, especially the last bit.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Did we ever figure out if Zion's parents moved in to the same house that Wendell Carter's parents allegedly lived in?

You know the one that allegedly brought them to the decision to allegedly rat out DLaB so the NCAA would get off their trail?

Allegedly.

giphy.gif

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Did we ever figure out if Zion's parents moved in to the same house that Wendell Carter's parents allegedly lived in?

You know the one that allegedly brought them to the decision to allegedly rat out DLaB so the NCAA would get off their trail?

Allegedly.

giphy.gif

I hear the Zion and his family doesn't like living in places that was ever infested with rats...allegedly...

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
[QUOTE

I think we understand it's all a f$cking sham at this point.[/QUOTE]

I get that, but the question is who cares and when do they begin to care?
For instance, the cat (whoever Not Jerry Tipton is) who published on social media the "Before n' after" comparison of the houses. Did that person not know about the graft before now? If it was common knowledge and no one cares, then why publish the stuff now? Did he not care before but now he does?

What is the decision node between this being acceptable and mundane graft that is shrug-worthy and, on the other hand, it being newsworthy corruption worthy of outrage?
Put more simply, do we, as college sports fans, care about this or do we not?

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
I get that, but the question is who cares and when do they begin to care?
For instance, the cat (whoever Not Jerry Tipton is) who published on social media the "Before n' after" comparison of the houses. Did that person not know about the graft before now? If it was common knowledge and no one cares, then why publish the stuff now? Did he not care before but now he does?

What is the decision node between this being acceptable and mundane graft that is shrug-worthy and, on the other hand, it being newsworthy corruption worthy of outrage?
Put more simply, do we, as college sports fans, care about this or do we not?

I suspect most college basketball fans care more about exposing the hypocrisy of the NCAA/media around Duke/Coach K than any underlying story involving the Zion lawsuit or his parents getting paid.

And, as an FYI, "Not Jerry Tipton" is a parody account of local Kentucky sports newspaper writer Jerry Tipton. Some regular pretty funny stuff from that guy.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Former Duke player/coach, goes off to a school that's notoriously hard to recruit to, and all of a sudden has the #3 class in the nation. Things that make you go hmmm...

The question is, which swanky Chicago neighborhood are the players parents living in? I kid...kinda...

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
FWIW, NW certainly won't have a Top 3 class when it is all done, that is just due to getting early commits.
Also, if you have ever been to Evanston, ILL - Northwestern is surrounded by a swanky suburb. It is a really nice area and the school sits right on Lake Michigan with its own beaches. It's quite nice.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
FWIW, NW certainly won't have a Top 3 class when it is all done, that is just due to getting early commits.
Also, if you have ever been to Evanston, ILL - Northwestern is surrounded by a swanky suburb. It is a really nice area and the school sits right on Lake Michigan with its own beaches. It's quite nice.

So you're saying the players' parents will have plenty of options?

I kid...kinda...

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
3 miles from my house. The arena and the football field are border on the north by Wilmette, where my kids go to school.