Arrests coming due to college bball kickbacks

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
The only answer and obvious answer is NO. Other schools like Duke and North Carolina have seen their academic prestige and brand diluted and tarnished. If we lose our brand at Georgia Tech, we've lost everything.

It's helped Clemson.

Deleted member 2897

It's helped Clemson.

Life isn't fair. But when you're handing out PEDs, paying athletes, and giving them majors like Parks & Recreation, you run the risk of being a punchline. Maybe it will eventually catch up to them, maybe it won't. I hope we don't take that chance.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
It doesn't matter. All student athletes should be treated equally by the schools, thus not have to sacrifice scholarship money.

A scholarship is the baseline. It's the compensatio beyond the scholarship that the free market determines and the school doesn't pay.
You are essentially creating an entire new division. Of course that's basically what we have now just without taxes being collected.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
The problem is it isn't a "free" market. As soon as you allow outside income every major state school will line up their alumni groups and major athletic donors to facilitate payments to athletes. Billy Bobb's Chevy dealer will co-ordinate with the Alabama FB team to rotate every player through for an autograph event and pay him for it. Recruiting will devolve into which alumni group/booster group does a better job of greasing recruits palms with staged (not free market) events. The star player signing on with a national brand will be the exception. It will be how every booster club drives their particular version of a Mack Truck through the loophole created to allow that.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
This discussion illustrates that there is no easy answer. The easiest answer is competition in the form of other options like what's happening in baseball and soccer. There are viable alternatives to college in baseball and soccer in the form of minor league systems. Kids can elect to go pro right out of HS (and in some instances in Soccer, DURING HS) utilizing the minor league systems or academy systems. In baseball, if you get drafted and decide not to go pro, you can take the college route and try to increase your value. In soccer, you can play professionally either in the lower leagues or with Major League Soccer...or you can go overseas.

There's really nothing like that for basketball or football, though basketball is getting an alternative pretty soon and some have opted to go overseas to play for a year. I think if there are viable options, schools and the NCAA can always tell kids: Hey, if you think you're more valuable than an athletic scholarship and an education, then go ahead and take the other route. It's pretty much what's going on with baseball.

I really like the NCAA baseball model: If you decide to play, you have certain windows to go pro. If you don't, you know you have to wait.

The NBA and NFL have ZERO motivation to create an alternative because the NCAA is essentially footing the bill to develop the talent for those leagues.

I think something that could work is a "franchise" model for schools. Each school plays under a "franchise" model wherein every member has the same salary cap and how you choose to allocate the cap money for each player is up to you. Cap space is dictated by Conference/League TV contracts/sponsorship, etc...much like what occurs in the NBA and NFL. Let the players make money from "vetted" sources, and not just Uncle 'Bama Fan who wants to slip Johnny QB hundos at the bar. Schools and the NCAA should get a portion of fees or contracts players sign because the schools and NCAA do take on a role in helping these players become marketable.

Like I said, no easy answer, but there are definitely more equitable alternatives to what's currently going on.

Last edited:

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
This discussion illustrates that there is no easy answer. The easiest answer is competition in the form of other options like what's happening in baseball and soccer. There are viable alternatives to college in baseball and soccer in the form of minor league systems. Kids can elect to go pro right out of HS (and in some instances in Soccer, DURING HS) utilizing the minor league systems or academy systems. In baseball, if you get drafted and decide not to go pro, you can take the college route and try to increase your value. In soccer, you can play professionally either in the lower leagues or with Major League Soccer...or you can go overseas.

There's really nothing like that for basketball or football, though basketball is getting an alternative pretty soon and some have opted to go overseas to play for a year. I think if there are viable options, schools and the NCAA can always tell kids: Hey, if you think you're more valuable than an athletic scholarship and an education, then go ahead and take the other route. It's pretty much what's going on with baseball.

I really like the NCAA baseball model: If you decide to play, you have certain windows to go pro. If you don't, you know you have to wait.

The NBA and NFL have ZERO motivation to create an alternative because the NCAA is essentially footing the bill to develop the talent for those leagues.

I think something that could work is a "franchise" model for schools. Each school plays under a "franchise" model wherein every member has the same salary cap and how you choose to allocate the cap money for each player is up to you. Cap space is dictated by Conference/League TV contracts/sponsorship, etc...much like what occurs in the NBA and NFL. Let the players make money from "vetted" sources, and not just Uncle 'Bama Fan who wants to slip Johnny QB hundos at the bar. Schools and the NCAA should get a portion of fees or contracts players sign because the schools and NCAA do take on a role in helping these players become marketable.

Like I said, no easy answer, but there are definitely more equitable alternatives to what's currently going on.
Nobody watches NCAA soccer or baseball. The only draw as a top recruit to playing college football and basketball is the fact that there is money there. Money being media exposure, higher level coaching, etc...

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
You are essentially creating an entire new division. Of course that's basically what we have now just without taxes being collected.

I think this is a very fair point, but if we make it transparent, you at least tell everyone to make your choice and decide at what level you will compete. You know what you're up against, so what do you want to do?

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Another article on the Wade situation at LSU.

Basically demands that he be given his Constitutional rights and be allowed to coach his team. Of course, the obscures the facts that you don't have Constitutional rights at work - you have whatever is in your work contract (for example - you have no 1st Amendment rights at work. They only apply to interactions with government).

https://www.si.com/college-basketba...ent-lsu-suspension-ncaa-investigation-wiretap

Basically saying he is going to refuse to talk to LSU until after the trial in April all but forces LSU to place him on suspension.

https://sports.yahoo.com/why-will-wades-tonedeaf-statement-makes-him-look-even-worse-155213116.html

The eye-roll-inducing 321-word statement Will Wade released on Thursday morning was most noteworthy for what it didn’t include.

Nowhere does the suspended LSU coach bother to actually say he didn’t do it.

He doesn’t deny that it’s him caught on a federal wiretap describing the “strong-*** offer” he made to try to land guard Javonte Smart. He doesn’t attempt to portray that conversation as being about anything other than paying a promising recruit under the table to come to LSU. He doesn’t claim innocence, nor does he insist he has not violated NCAA rules.

Wade, of course, has good reason not to explain himself until he has no choice but to take the stand at a federal trial later this spring. By not talking, it buys him time to see what federal investigators actually have on him and allows him to keep cashing checks from LSU for a couple more months.

But LSU also has good reason to suspend an employee who has been caught on tape cheating, doesn’t deny the allegations and refuses to explain himself. Tom Skinner, the school’s general counsel, emphatically made that point in an interview with SI.com on Thursday.

“In everything that’s been said by Will and his folks in the past week, not once have they denied any wrongdoing,” Skinner said. “As a university and employer, we need to hear our employee say, ‘I didn’t do anything wrong,’ or explain the circumstances or admit he did do something wrong. We’ve been unable to get to that point.”

In the end, Wade did nothing to help himself from a public relations standpoint on Thursday with the tone-deaf statement he made.

Last edited:

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer

And that's really the key point. Reality might suck, but it is better to have it out in the open and at least get the transparency and taxes from it than what we have today.

tsrich

Ramblin' Wreck
And that's really the key point. Reality might suck, but it is better to have it out in the open and at least get the transparency and taxes from it than what we have today.

Maybe it would be better. I could give up on hoping everything comes together in a season for Tech and just forego college sports entirely and reclaim hours of free time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smathis30

Ramblin' Wreck
Rumor mill: According to a Brandon Lang (website being his name, it looks like a Perez Hilton version of ESPN)
Bill self to potentially be out at Kansas at the end of the year to head back to Illinois (lol) but to coach the Bulls. NBC also reported it (saying it was reported on dude in questions radio show)
Wouldn’t be too surprised if it’s true and he pulled a Pete Carroll

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Could he be doing this to avoid putting out damaging info about Auburn in court?
I think this is possible, but more likely his lawyers have told him he will lose in court and he can avoid much larger legal bills by changing his plea and taking whatever punishment the court decides. The other assistants got 24 months in prison IIRC. To fold your hand with prison in your future means you don't really have a chance to win.