Arrests coming due to college bball kickbacks

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
College sports (football and men's basketball, anyway) haven't been amateur for many, mnany years now....when so much TV $$$ sloshed into the game, the amateurism went the way of the Sewanee football team.....

There's so much money at stake, wouldn't it be better if it was all transparent and, as a result, taxed as income?

Let a kid get what he can get. Let the kid have to break something off for his handlers. Let them evaluate opportunities and make a decision. Let both of them pay taxes on it.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
There's so much money at stake, wouldn't it be better if it was all transparent and, as a result, taxed as income?

Let a kid get what he can get. Let the kid have to break something off for his handlers. Let them evaluate opportunities and make a decision. Let both of them pay taxes on it.

The reality is, schools and NCAA can make MORE money if they let kids benefit from marketing/product opportunities.

Have every recruit sign a school/NCAA "partnership" agreement along with the LOI. Kids can use the school logo and name, provided whatever opportunity gets vetted for appropriateness by the school and NCAA, but the school and NCAA get a cut. Say the kid gets 50%, and the NCAA and school split the other 50%.

Obviously there's a lot of fine details that would need to be fleshed out, but I think the gist of that "partnership" could potentially be a mutually beneficial for the SA, the school, and the NCAA. Let's be honest, money talks, if schools and the NCAA stand to make MORE money, they should be receptive to it.

Deleted member 2897

This begs the "Devil's Deal" question: If GT could make 2 Final Fours in 5 seasons, and make the NCAA tourney the other 3 seasons, but GT would get those wins vacated and GT would lose 2 scholarships for 4 years and a postseason ban for 1 year due to "cheating" do you take that deal?

The only answer and obvious answer is NO. Other schools like Duke and North Carolina have seen their academic prestige and brand diluted and tarnished. If we lose our brand at Georgia Tech, we've lost everything.

Deleted member 2897

Watching Louisville play last night in the ACC Tournament, I am reminded that they got caught paying Brian Bowen six figures. Brian had to transfer away, and the NCAA ruled he could never play college basketball, Louisville's coach was also fired. But yet there they all are on the court, playing a game as if none of that ever happened.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The only answer and obvious answer is NO. Other schools like Duke and North Carolina have seen their academic prestige and brand diluted and tarnished. If we lose our brand at Georgia Tech, we've lost everything.

That's fine, but how do you feel about changing the rules in a way that kids across all sports can earn compensation in a transparent manner?

I have no problem maintaining a moral high ground within the rules, but within the current set of rules, that moral high ground will leave us a bottom tier team in the ACC. Changing them, in the manner I suggest, may also leave us there, but at least we can make the decision on how much we're willing to put up a fight.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
The problem is that it will become an open bidding war. You'll see the alum and boosters going all out to secure players for their school. Yes, to an extent this happens currently, but you want to see an all out arms race, make it above board and legal. It will definitely become a situation where the rich schools will be loaded for bear and the not-so-rich schools will be sucking hind tit.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Duke and UNC may have lost ground with branding within a narrow group of sports fans, but not with kids trying to get accepted to colleges. Or with academic people in NC. UNC had >40K applications and enrolled 11% of them. The AFAM scandal has not hurt them in any measurable way. At least not in NC. And they are required by law to not enroll more 18% of their incoming freshman from out of state applicants.

Deleted member 2897

Duke and UNC may have lost ground with branding within a narrow group of sports fans, but not with kids trying to get accepted to colleges. Or with academic people in NC. UNC had >40K applications and enrolled 11% of them. The AFAM scandal has not hurt them in any measurable way. At least not in NC. And they are required by law to not enroll more 18% of their incoming freshman from out of state applicants.

Well, I didn't say it hurt them with applications, I said it hurt their brand. All the UNC grads I know are embarrassed about it. I know some folks who say they'll never interview a UNC grad for any jobs ever again (that's a bit extreme). I don't see any reason to cheat or break the rules to try and win a sports game.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
It will become an open bidding war. You'll see the alum and boosters going all out to secure players for their school. Yes, to an extent this happens currently, but you want to see an all out arms race, make it above board and legal. It will definitely become a situation where the rich schools will be loaded for bear and the not-so-rich schools will be sucking hind tit.

I made one slight edit.

On a GT message board and at other schools, we'll call it a problem, because from the biggest booster to the common fan, we're unlikely to give until it hurts.

That's fine, but be willing to accept our place in the pecking order as a bottom tier ACC program that's beneath some mid majors. Be Ok with being Rutgers or DePaul or Washington State.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
First, that article on Martin Fox is well worth the read.

Second, I agree about the Olympic Model. As long as the school isn't paying (which is shouldn't) then I have no issue with the S-A getting compensated by those willing to pay.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Well, I didn't say it hurt them with applications, I said it hurt their brand. All the UNC grads I know are embarrassed about it. I know some folks who say they'll never interview a UNC grad for any jobs ever again (that's a bit extreme). I don't see any reason to cheat or break the rules to try and win a sports game.
I agree with your last sentence 100%, but you must not know many UNC grads. Living in NC, I see and talk to a lot of UNC people every day. To a person, they were embarrassed by the AFAM scandal, but they are very proud of their UNC degrees. And, they are not having trouble getting jobs because of what happened.

I think it's important that we, as fans, bifurcate our college sports fanaticism from the real world that colleges and students and faculty deal with beyond their athletic departments. My wife was a college prof and she just shrugs her shoulders when the UNC scandal enters a conversation. There is a lot of cheating that goes on at every college.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I have no problem with them getting paid but I think if they are getting paid elsewhere, they don't need to be on an athletic scholarship. They can get paid and be on an academic scholarship no problem. If they can get $100k+/year to play at Duke, they can pay the $60k/year to go there. Win-win. Pretty much puts you on par with what the G League plays and you get the exposure of playing in the NCAA.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I have no problem with them getting paid but I think if they are getting paid elsewhere, they don't need to be on an athletic scholarship. They can get paid and be on an academic scholarship no problem. If they can get $100k+/year to play at Duke, they can pay the $60k/year to go there. Win-win. Pretty much puts you on par with what the G League plays and you get the exposure of playing in the NCAA.
100% agree.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Unfortunately, this concept only works if you limit it to college hoops.

What happens when you widen your scope? Mizuno will pay each GTWVB team member $5,000 to use their likeness. They can get paid, but have to come off of athletic scholarship under your scenario. Your retort will probably be that they get the lifetime benefit of a free education, but why should they have to forego a few extra bucks in their pocket today?

All student athletes should get the same scholarship, room & board, etc. from the school.

All student athletes should be allowed to earn what the free market beyond the schools will offer.

jeffgt14

Unfortunately, this concept only works if you limit it to college hoops.

What happens when you widen your scope? Mizuno will pay each GTWVB team member $5,000 to use their likeness. They can get paid, but have to come off of athletic scholarship under your scenario. Your retort will probably be that they get the lifetime benefit of a free education, but why should they have to forego a few extra bucks in their pocket today?

All student athletes should get the same scholarship, room & board, etc. from the school.

All student athletes should be allowed to earn what the free market beyond the schools will offer.
IDK maybe put a dollar limit on what you can earn while on before you are kicked off an athletic scholarship.

jeffgt14

If you have to do that, you just open up the system to revert to cheating. You end up solving nothing.
How many players in a sport besides Men's football and basketball are going to get paid over $10k? It'd be pretty damn risky for a 5 star McDonald's All-American attending Duke to say he's on an athletic scholarship and only getting paid $10k/year when someone else is getting paid $100k.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
How many players in a sport besides Men's football and basketball are going to get paid over $10k? It'd be pretty damn risky for a 5 star McDonald's All-American attending Duke to say he's on an athletic scholarship and only getting paid $10k/year when someone else is getting paid $100k.

It doesn't matter. All student athletes should be treated equally by the schools, thus not have to sacrifice scholarship money.

A scholarship is the baseline. It's the compensatio beyond the scholarship that the free market determines and the school doesn't pay.