Votes: 433 81.2%
  • No

Votes: 20 3.8%
  • Not sure

Votes: 80 15.0%

• Total voters

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
That’s not how he said it at all though. I think you are taking it in a context that it was not meant to be taken.
Run pro
What I heard is he is not going to run an offense that doesn't look at all like the NFL .
The the I formation or our current under center old school offense are out.
Imo he will run a run pass option that starts run heavy and over years becomes pass heavy.
Hs specifically said he wants the defense to practice against an offense that mimics or is like the NFL SO HE CAN RECRUIT ELITE DEFENSIVE PLAYERS .

I have heard NFL team names like rams, Pittsburg but I think he is headed to be like the Texans. They have a wildly fun to watch aggressive defense. Also they do run the qb --- some and when they do it's highly effective - usually for first down going out of bounds or sliding..

. The qb will not be a battering ram. We will have to run a lot until he RECRUITS a good passing qb ( knows defenses, sees defenses, makes good reads) who can do way more than roll out and stop and pop.

I think he means we will look like ucf who runs some pretty complicated blocking. and has a good short passing game. I think he will try hard to recruit a qb and a wr in the same class.

I have wanted more buzz at bds and he is a breath of fresh air. He will get the plac Did u hear him recruiting the Prez's wife. ? Could this be the beginning of the team effort with the hill doing way more than not being a drag.? Sounded he is going to keep selling the hill possible.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I am not going to start a new thread but I am curious and the sample size of votes in this pole is pretty large. Was there a name realistically available to GT (including ones that we may not have discussed in the last weeek or so) that you believe would have been significantly higher than the current 81.3% (325 out of 400 votes as I type this)?

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
Run pro
What I heard is he is not going to run an offense that doesn't look at all like the NFL .
Imo he will run a run pass option that starts run heavy and over years becomes pass heavy.
Hs specifically said he wants the defense to practice against an offense that mimics or is like the NFL SO HE CAN RECRUIT ELITE DEFENSIVE PLAYERS .

I have heard NFL team names like rams, Pittsburg but I think he is headed to be like the Texans. They have a wildly fun to watch aggressive defense. Also they do run the qb --- some and when they do it's highly effective - usually for first down going out of bounds or sliding..

. The qb will not be a battering ram. We will have to run a lot until he RECRUITS a good passing qb ( knows defenses, sees defenses, makes good reads) who can do way more than roll out and stop and pop.

I think he means we will look like ucf who runs some pretty complicated blocking. and has a good short passing game. I think he will try hard to recruit a qb and a wr in the same class.

I have wanted more buzz at bds and he is a breath of fresh air. He will get the plac Did u hear him recruiting the Prez's wife. ? Could this be the beginning of the team effort with the hill doing way more than not being a drag.? Sounded he is going to keep selling the hill possible.
Well put. He said he will look at and evaluate what we have on our roster and tailor to that. So there will be some transition and gradation to the scheme until he is able to recruit personnel to a more exact philosophy.

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer
I am not going to start a new thread but I am curious and the sample size of votes in this pole is pretty large. Was there a name realistically available to GT (including ones that we may not have discussed in the last weeek or so) that you believe would have been significantly higher than the current 81.3% (325 out of 400 votes as I type this)?
No, nobody outside Saban would get significantly higher. I think there were better coaching options but I think they would have about the same %.

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer
It seems to me that some of you guys haven’t figured out that CGC was recruiting in his press conference today. Not recruiting fans, not talking schemes, but recruiting players. He wisely sees that his first order of business is changing the perception that playing football at Georgia Tech won’t prepare you for the NFL. The message he tried to communicate today is that at GT players will be prepared for the next phase of their lives in all ways possible, including being coached in a way that gives players a better chance to be in the NFL.

Don’t try to translate what he said tonight into X’s and O’s. He wasn’t talking to you.

This 100%! Most of that press conference was a sales pitch in one form or another. Some of it (like the NFL references) was pointed at recruits, some of it at alumni, and some of it at current players. There really was not much actual data to be gleaned from anything said last night.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer

There are only 15 votes out of 400 who are against the hire. I’m not sure that we could have hired anyone else that would’ve gotten less than 15 “NO” votes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
This hire is goong to depend on dc and oc hires. Honestly hope he keeps woody unless woody ends up if at app. As for OC. Maybe clemsons other co oc and qb coach wouldmlike the sole title

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
There are only 15 votes out of 400 who are against the hire. I’m not sure that we could have hired anyone else that would’ve gotten less than 15 “NO” votes.

Probably true, but the important thing is what the same poll results will be if taken at the end of the year. It's good that most everybody's optimistic for now, though. He starts with a clean slate.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
Stingtalk - ugh. Argue fine points till end of time. I saw on video that GC goes by The Czar at temple.
When I saw that I thought of calling him Buzz Czar and then I had a urge to vomit. That Buzz Czar guy on gt swarm was a heck of a narsisitic axx who lived to argue.
You ruined my day, I had forgot about him!

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
I think it is a great hire. No one else was available that has a better recruiting record at Tech equal to his. Good recruits will attract good coordinators.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
I hope he doesn't talk during his press conference about building the GT program brick by brick;) I'll start having Botch Jones flashbacks:wacky:
I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.

Collins' acumen as a recruiter is going to be helped by what PJ was able to get the last year or two - more staff and some desperately, long overdue upgrades to the locker room and players lounge. Most of us have no idea how bad the players lounge was. It was embarrassing. And that's from Stansbury about a year ago.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Not sure why many are so concerned with keeping Woody. I like him, seems like a great guy. But our defense didn't improve in anything except turnovers. Let CGC pick his DC. The man knows defense.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
Run pro

even though the defense only practices against its own offensive scheme in spring and the first week or two of camp...
In the past, during the season, PJ would have the No 1 go against the No 1 D but that was for short yardage and goal line stuff and only then for about a period a week, out of four practices that were anywhere from 80-90 periods total.
I just think that whole line of reasoning is BS. Because you really don't practice against your own offense, except for maybe most of the 15 spring practices and the first half of August. Other than that, you're seeing someone else's offense week in and week out.
All that does is allow those ****ing morons on sports talk radio and every espn studio show to continue to harp on stuff that just isn't true.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
I think we need to buckle up. Seems like CGC puts a lot of value in having fun. If the players we want think things like gold chains and trash cans are fun...well, don’t be surprised.

I think he/they will choose something appropriate for Tech, just like the other schools have. Mutts have spikes, Canes have gold chains, and the Vols have trash cans. Maybe we can have gold diplomas. [emoji23]

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Chan ran a 1990s nfl offense here. Times have changed.

Look what texans run. Or bears. Or chiefs. Its half ncaa stuff. Heck titans too. Its nfl today. We run that with maybe a touch more ncaa to it we are fine.

I really want him to hire a solid oc with some more experience than some other assts will bring.

Old South Stands

Jolly Good Fellow
I liked the CPJ hire initially but grew to like him considerably, especially after the UGA game in 2008. Tech is a different kind of place in terms of its campus culture (an MIT or Carnegie Mellon with a football tradition, if you will), and I liked the different kind of approach CPJ brought, as well as his persona. It was exciting and made the program stand out. Regardless of how well the team was doing, commentators would always talk about the challenges of stopping his offense. We'll never have tough, gritty QBs again quite like a Josh Nesbitt, or JT5 or even Tevin Washington... or an offense where even the WRs are blocking on plays every down. This was an exciting period of Tech football to watch, unlike any I've seen under previous coaches. I'll miss all the Xs and Os and the football "nerdiness" CPJ brought.

With that said, I'm still a fan of Tech football and will be rooting for them regardless of who's at the helm. Right now I'm cautiously excited. Just missing something I've gotten used to over the past 11 years!