Film Room apcarrick's Georgia Tech Offense Videos Cut by Play

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
I think some of yall may be fluffing our success passing at the end of the year. It had a lot of room for improvement, even in the last 5 games of the season.

Smelter going down didn't help. Our offense was much more effective later in the season - passing too. Our worst passing game in the last five games was against FSU -- and we tossed it around pretty good against them at the end of the 4th quarter.

MSU tried to do some of the same things VPISU did. They weren't nearly as effective.

/

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
m
Well, yeah, one was an ACC team and the other was a wanna be ACC team.
If any of those guys read this board you just hurt their feelings. Maybe it was just me but I was looking and expecting a lot more speed overall and more quickness on the D line. I need to stop reading that nonsense. Somewhere along the way Johnson expressed no surprise at what MSU tried and said six other teams now try to play Tech the way VT does. Two words: Bud Foster. It should be fun for a neutral fan to watch Foster and Johnson match moves. Against MSU was like bobbing for apples with a backhoe.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think the team is more prepared for the blitzing LB and the blitzing CB.

The ABs do a lot more switching of assignments with WRs than in years past.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
I think the team is more prepared for the blitzing LB and the blitzing CB.

The ABs do a lot more switching of assignments with WRs than in years past.
It's that AB/WR switching that concerns me with all the new starters. I think we have enough veteran guys scattered around the depth charts to help keep things running smoothly, then we have the trump card of Smooov making reads and running wild behind a solid line. I see good things ahead.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
It's that AB/WR switching that concerns me with all the new starters. I think we have enough veteran guys scattered around the depth charts to help keep things running smoothly, then we have the trump card of Smooov making reads and running wild behind a solid line. I see good things ahead.
That's why having a couple of tune ups before ND is a very good thing. We may be up big and still have our starters in just getting them work fine tuning and getting on the same page.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer

These may have already been posted/viewed. However, if you have not watched these its a series of about 4 videos by Alex Carrick. It shows every offensive play we ran in the game. Its really good for those that are scholars of the offense and love to dissect our offensive scheme. It portrays the reality that CPJ has several wrinkles/adjustments he can add to his offense.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Leonard Floyd and the outside linebackers were constantly in the backfield. Have to clean that up some way.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Interesting point.. I remember back a few months ago people were trying to decide if the offense has gotten more or less complex. My oppinion is these videos show how many more adjustments CPJ is making now, and also their impact. Really cool look at the film.

Thanks @apcarrick

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Hindsight, hindsight, hindsight.

Two plays before JTs "fumble" the call was zone dive which was stuffed for the first time, it seems, since the first quarter. Have not tried to slow down the play and carefully analyze each defender but it looks like an inside veer would have worked on that play. Is so, kept drive alive and moved Tech in for clinching touchdown as the clock runs out. But all that is to say CPJ has spoiled me in that I almost expect every single call to be the right one.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
And sometimes we need to give credit to the other team's players for making a good play. That's obviously more difficult when they are but sniffers. That I concede.
You're probably right. And far more gracious than I.
On that particular play uga had 3 down linemen with fairly wide splits and playing about a yard off the line. The linebackers were playing far enough back to be able to move around any blockers who fired into the second level. But they were squeezed in between the tackles, almost playing the guards straight up and everyone seemed to be focused on the middle. Nobody looked even remotely interested in a wide play. I'm saying they were guessing and guessed right. But I am just talking. For the heck of it. It's late.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
It's hard being gracious to the mutts. As great as the kick and pick were....I might rather have ended that game with a TD instead of the fumble on this drive. Too many idiot mutts think the better team lost due to bad luck. Imbeciles. (How's that for gracious?:ROFLMAO:)

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Watched these again. Ever notice, with our offense, how plays that look like we gained nothing end up being 2 or 3 yard gains? Additionally, plays that look like minimal gains end up being 4+. It is almost like an optical illusion sometimes. What is up with that? I guess a lot of it has to do with how conditioned we have become, in today's game of CFB, to see plays developing in the backfield, while, in contrast, we are right on on the LOS hitting things pretty quickly.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
I don't think the UGAg game was JeT's best game. He did adapt to the D throughout the game though. He kept the ball on several option plays where the pitch key was playing soft. Later in the game he started making the pitch key commit to him followed by a very late pitch.

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
Watched these again. Ever notice, with our offense, how plays that look like we gained nothing end up being 2 or 3 yard gains? Additionally, plays that look like minimal gains end up being 4+. It is almost like an optical illusion sometimes. What is up with that? I guess a lot of it has to do with how conditioned we have become, in today's game of CFB, to see plays developing in the backfield, while, in contrast, we are right on on the LOS hitting things pretty quickly.

It's an optical illusion because we're conditioned to the line of scrimmage being where it started, not two yards downfield.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
I think part of it has to do with the way a lot of teams tried playing us later in the year, where they backed their DTs a full yard off the ball, hoping that would give them space to avoid a cut, diagnose the play, and disrupt JTs reads. In fact that just gave Shaq, Freddie, and Trey room to get a head of steam and knock them back and re-establish a new LOS a couple yards downfield. When the whole line can get a surge like that, we are damn near unstoppable.