Film Room apcarrick's Georgia Tech Offense Videos Cut by Play

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Was at the orange bowl. Did not realize how many times jet went back to pass and tucked the ball and ran with great success. They can't stop him folks was pure speed.

bigsands

Jolly Good Fellow
Wow. Great resource.

I would like to know what opposing defensive coordinators think about as they enter the week against GT. I imagine more than one told his staff that the scheme is not complicated and that all they have to do is execute and they will be fine. Then GT runs the toss to the A-back for eight yards on first down and then the coordinator gets the cold sweats.

The offense is obviously well designed. I don't know how you scheme against it. It you have a DL that can blow up plays or a LB that can really run then you have a chance, but those are physical advantages. Having to be strong up the middle, protect against runs to the outside, and constantly anticipate the 3-4 times GT throws 40 yards down the field is a pretty tall order - and if you do all of that, JT might just improvise and burn you anyway.

DC Bee

Ramblin' Wreck
The offense is obviously well designed. I don't know how you scheme against it. It you have a DL that can blow up plays or a LB that can really run then you have a chance, but those are physical advantages. Having to be strong up the middle, protect against runs to the outside, and constantly anticipate the 3-4 times GT throws 40 yards down the field is a pretty tall order - and if you do all of that, JT might just improvise and burn you anyway.

And there it is. Our offense suffered at times in the early CPJ years. He had to make do with what he had. Now that he has his players for his system, results last year, and a strong 2015 incoming class, the physical advantages opposing teams had may be a thing of the past. I don't see any more Vad Lee type QB experiments happening in the future either.

If GT can also field a strong defense this year and use it for recruiting, that pipeline may start flowing as well.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Wow. That is a cool concept. So, you ask me if they have the descriptors right. You may find this surprising, but I don't really have that good of an option football vocabulary. I know what some of the plays are called, but many others, I simply don't. I watch a lot of DVR recordings and I can tell you what we are doing on certain plays, but I have no idea about the terminology. Sorry. I would say most are right. I think he did a good job identifying zone dives from TO dive plays. I enjoyed the product a lot. On the down side, the plays are happening so fast, one after another at game speed, that I have a hard time digesting what just happened before the next play starts. When I watch DVR film it is slowed down and I watch every play multiple times until I see what is going on with pretty much every guy. That same opportunity really doesn't exist here. However, this site offers a great opportunity to watch an entire games worth of plays without investing a ton of time. Thanks so much.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Wow. Great resource.

I would like to know what opposing defensive coordinators think about as they enter the week against GT. I imagine more than one told his staff that the scheme is not complicated and that all they have to do is execute and they will be fine. Then GT runs the toss to the A-back for eight yards on first down and then the coordinator gets the cold sweats.

You are right on about
And there it is. Our offense suffered at times in the early CPJ years. He had to make do with what he had. Now that he has his players for his system, results last year, and a strong 2015 incoming class, the physical advantages opposing teams had may be a thing of the past. I don't see any more Vad Lee type QB experiments happening in the future either.

If GT can also field a strong defense this year and use it for recruiting, that pipeline may start flowing as well.

At end we played 4 really talented defenses but only one experienced dc .
That dc was at clemson and Imo he had the best DL and a couple of good lb.
We played them we.
The others were very talented across the field but they each had young dc.
We beat them physically ( Uga IMO was kept close by the refs) for sure, but some of it could come due to lack of dc experience. I am glad we are to the point that a defense must be talented accross the field and have a good dc in order to slow us down.

Your point about the defense being a future bright spot is right on target.
We could not just win by out scoring- we could be dominant. Sounds wierd on a gt blog.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
A great find. Thanks. With the plays lined up like that one really gets an idea of how quick, slick and fast Thomas is in running the offense. And running away from tacklers. A couple of times I was laughing out loud like a moron in front of the computer. He really is a treasure, one we should really appreciate for the next two years because there might never be a better one. Oh, and how good Smelter was. How really fine.

apcarrick

Georgia Tech Fan
Hey guys, I'm actually the author of these videos. I'm a HS football coach in WI who fell in love with this offense last year. I did these videos in reverse order, so the UGA one is probably the most accurate in terms of identifying plays. My hope is to continue these once the season starts.

As for the comment about how fast the plays run, due to the offense many of them cut in right as the motion starts when they come back from commercial. I'll keep it in mind for the future.

In general the way you stop the triple option is to have the handoff key be strong in the hole and make the qb 's read difficult. The wonder of the offense is once a defense tries that, PJ will have the tackle or the B back block the handoff key and go straight to the pitch phase

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
Hey guys, I'm actually the author of these videos. I'm a HS football coach in WI who fell in love with this offense last year. I did these videos in reverse order, so the UGA one is probably the most accurate in terms of identifying plays. My hope is to continue these once the season starts.

As for the comment about how fast the plays run, due to the offense many of them cut in right as the motion starts when they come back from commercial. I'll keep it in mind for the future.

In general the way you stop the triple option is to have the handoff key be strong in the hole and make the qb 's read difficult. The wonder of the offense is once a defense tries that, PJ will have the tackle or the B back block the handoff key and go straight to the pitch phase

Welcome to the swarm! Have you ever attended one of CPJ's coaching clinics?

apcarrick

Georgia Tech Fan
Haven't yet, but it's on the to do list. I've read some of other people's CPJ clinic notes as well as past play books

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
I like that. Good work.

I could watch the "Can't stop it Folks" run all day. The acceleration is sooo satisfying...2nd only to Snoddy in the Pitt game.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
The only problem I saw with the UGa game is you cut out the OT touchdown and didn't show "The Pick." You can't show "The Kick" without following it with "The Pick."

Otherwise, kudos! I enjoyed them all.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Great find. Haven't had a chance to review much tape except for highlights. Having watched them all I'll say we actually have a lot of room for improvement in the passing game. Pass pro left a lot to be desired. JT had a lot of pressure coming his way more often than not. Escaped a lot of it, but made some bad decisions while doing so more than I remembered. Got happy feet in the pocket when he didn't roll out to avoid the rush also...not that I can blame him much there.

Overall we were absolutely dominant running the ball. But more mediocre passing than I remembered vs UGA FSU n MSU. And I know JT did not play well vs Puke also. This makes me worry even more about losing Smelter. He excelled at coming back to open spots when the plays broke down to give JT an emergency outlet.

If we can maintain our rush O, and take the next step forward in the passing game, we might not need a defense this year. That may be tougher to do than I'd like.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

welcome. Here's a post I made earlier about a playbook similar to ours.

https://gtswarm.com/threads/flexbone-offense-playbook-online.3049/

It may help. Tifwiw.