Am I being too negative ? Help !!

Spread offenses depend on 1 position to basically win games. The Quarterback. We are playing a true freshman without a spring practice and a unique fall practice behind a still retooling offensive line. Collins is “All In” on riding Sims through this practice season in hopes that the practice mistakes Sims is making in games go away in upcoming seasons. Personally, I think that’s the right move. We’ve all seen the talent Sims has which we haven’t seen from a QB in a long time. Right now his mind is slow on the option reads which causes his body to be a beat slow. Same with his reading of defenses. It also didn’t help that BC and Clemson were eating our OLines lunch before the reads could even be made. But, Sims has shown me enough of the upside that he’ll be a flat out stat machine for his remaining 4 years. Nothing I’ve seen indicates he is “bust” material. I see GT’s scoring ability will take off with Sims at QB and the WR, TE, and RB’s that Collins is getting committed and on campus. Like the Joe Ham days that will make up for a lot of defensive issues.
to reach the level of the Joe Hamilton days we will need to entirely change the offensive scheme. CRF offense was nothing like what we currently run. His base play was.....the Triple Option.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Let’s take 2015 FSU game for example. I didn’t go to that game thinking we had no chance. Huge numbers of highly impactful injuries & playing against a good team loaded with talent. Going into the game I thought if we block well enough, grind out 1st downs and gradually wear them down, make a couple stops and perhaps a turnover or 2 and control the clock maybe we shorten the game and have a chance. They get nervous and have a lot to lose, we play loose, controlled, etc. Out-smart them.

Now I find myself just hoping we won’t get crushed. Last night from the local HS game I got random co-workers texting me “hey it’s like we’re playing GT”. It’s so bad this last month we’re getting the kind of attention that’s not good for the program. Time for a good game to restore some dignity to the program.

2015 was an interesting season. We were very unfortunate, but we weren't a bad team. Our record in one score games was abysmal. There really weren't any of those games we couldn't win.

Cam

Helluva Engineer
That is exactly what I am thinking at this point. Perhaps 7 years was too long of a contract.......no sense of urgency ? Maybe 5 would have been better, but that's history now. So far , it seems CGC and staff need extra time to prepare in order to play a more complete game. We seem to ride too long with what's not working in the first half, and have to wait until halftime to fix it. In other words, we don't have option B , if option A is not working during play. The BC game was particularly telling. We were playing against a team who was also coming off a bad loss. They came out on fire , like I was hoping we would. Remember , BC had just hired Hafley in December 2019. He was the past co-defensive coordinator at Ohio State. Is CGC in over his head in the ACC ? It's a pretty good coaches league now , with Swinney, Brown , Mendenhall, Cutcliffe, etc.

This article expected us to be significantly improved on the DEFENSIVE side of the ball after our first year, due to CGC........smh
For what it's worth, two of your examples of good coaches in this league are currently 1-4 (Mendenhall) and 1-5 (Cutcliffe). You've also got Pitt under 6th year Narduzzi that are on a 4 game losing streak. Satterfield follows up a strong year 1 by going 2-4 with wins over Western Kentucky and FSU. We're doing alright compared to "better coached" teams.

We're playing a ton of freshman and our practices are limited due to COVID, so mistakes are going to be made. Everyone in the league looks sloppy save 2-4 teams. Considering we're in year 2, I'd say we're actually ahead of schedule a bit. Our offense has taken a major leap from 127th in yards/game last year to 49th this year, and yards per play increased from 119th last year to 47th this year. Defense has actually gotten worse in those stats, but we weren't really lighting it up on defense in the decade prior and I know CGC hasn't been able to coach the defense as much due to COVID restrictions. That'll get better with time, development, and personnel. With some solid transfers (OL, DT, LB, etc.), we should have enough experience built up from this year's games (+ bowl practices) to be more competitive next year. Just need to take the necessary lumps now in a free year.

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
For what it's worth, two of your examples of good coaches in this league are currently 1-4 (Mendenhall) and 1-5 (Cutcliffe). You've also got Pitt under 6th year Narduzzi that are on a 4 game losing streak. Satterfield follows up a strong year 1 by going 2-4 with wins over Western Kentucky and FSU. We're doing alright compared to "better coached" teams.
The Louisville win wasn't that long ago but definitely feels like it. This certainly is the business of "what have you done for me lately"? I understand why as well, getting deleted by Clemson and dominated by BC can wash away any good will pretty durn quickly. But a win against ND could gain it back real quick. Here's to hoping.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I just see a lot of youth in this team. There are players with experience, but the depth of the team is mainly Freshmen and Sophomores. Young teams make a lot of the mistakes that we keep seeing and mainly 4 of the 5 that you mentioned. Then like other posters stated, add COVID on top of that and it's just a weird year. The main thing I have seen with this team is inconsistency and again that should be expected with a young team.

I don't believe that every issue with the team is on the coaches. There are plenty of issues with people and things aside from coaches. However, there are some things going on that are clearly on the coaches. (late getting play calls in on offense and defense, questionable clock management, etc.) Those things were not good last year, and are not good this year. I don't put all blame for everything on the coaches, but I think those posters who are unwilling to put any blame on the coaches are just as wrong as posters who put all the blame on the coaches. (Not saying you said the coaches had no blame.) There are a lot of things to fix. If only some part of that is worked on, the team won't get appreciably better.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
I just see a lot of youth in this team. There are players with experience, but the depth of the team is mainly Freshmen and Sophomores. Young teams make a lot of the mistakes that we keep seeing and mainly 4 of the 5 that you mentioned. Then like other posters stated, add COVID on top of that and it's just a weird year. The main thing I have seen with this team is inconsistency and again that should be expected with a young team.
I SINCERELY hope you are right. I want CGC to succeed ! He is a GREAT recruiter and salesman of the program. He's from Atlanta, and understands what he was getting himself into. I feel at times that they are just using this year to "experiment" and test players under game conditions, knowing they won't lose a year of eligibilty. Like I stated previously, I don't think coming into the game dialed in and playing with "your hair on fire" is too much to ask of ANY player, no matter their year of eligibilty. We just look timid and confused way too much. The ONLY expectation I had coming into this year was that we would have noticeable improvement as the season went on. To my untrained eyes,
I am not seeing it. Maybe it is just that we need more time. We will see about that, won't we ?

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
I don't believe that every issue with the team is on the coaches. There are plenty of issues with people and things aside from coaches. However, there are some things going on that are clearly on the coaches. (late getting play calls in on offense and defense, questionable clock management, etc.) Those things were not good last year, and are not good this year. I don't put all blame for everything on the coaches, but I think those posters who are unwilling to put any blame on the coaches are just as wrong as posters who put all the blame on the coaches. (Not saying you said the coaches had no blame.) There are a lot of things to fix. If only some part of that is worked on, the team won't get appreciably better.
++++++

Deleted member 2897

Yep... He just couldn't beat the big boys.. Or win the big games. Seems superficial. To me... I would be very happy with a coach that won 10 games almost every year.

Georgia doubled down to win a National Championship - 10 wins who cares. They’re now spending almost $50 million a year (I think we’re barely at $20m). They’ve had 6-year graduation rates as low as 40%. They’ve had about 50 players arrested in the last several years. They’ve completely sold their soul as a university to win more football games..........................and they got worse. LOL

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
to reach the level of the Joe Hamilton days we will need to entirely change the offensive scheme. CRF offense was nothing like what we currently run. His base play was.....the Triple Option.

Yes but with TE's, traditional RB's, and an overall attractiveness that didn't look like what some HS's run. CRF was certainly imaginative that Obrien couldn't replicate.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
I look at the tackling issue as a young player thing. They approach fast and don’t slow down enough to break down and form tackle. They grab at what flashes rather than watching the hips. It does drive me crazy And there is one that does it consistently.

False start Penalties at the beginning are a hearing (they don’t hear the call in the huddle or can’t hear it during the call) or concentration issue. Other penalties I don’t know.

the place kicking thing I really think is coaching. I don’t think every kick is to low, I think some players stances are to wide and too even. There balance is aligned sideways rather than front to back and they are getting pushed over literally at the snap. Go back and watch the Fla St kicks. I saw one player, I won’t name, twice on blocked kicks, literally pushed backwards at the snap on his butt. the defensive guy, who made the block just pushed him backwards and stepped over him. The player is 6’3, I think about 245 so he isn’t little. He’s balanced wrong.

since this is a free year I’d also kick in kicking situations, no matter the problems. If we keep coaching standards on 4th and 7 with 2 mins left in a blow out and we punt, then actual in game place kicking could help the line and the kickers Learn balance points and kicking height.

Last edited:
I look at the tackling issue as a young player thing. They approach fast and don’t slow down enough to break down and form tackle. They grab at what flashes rather than watching the hips. It does drive me crazy And there is one that does it consistently.

False start Penalties at the beginning are a hearing (they don’t hear the call in the huddle or can’t hear it during the call) or concentration issue. Other penalties I don’t know.

the place kicking thing I really think is coaching. I don’t think every kick is to low, I think some players stances are to wide and too even. There balance is aligned sideways rather than front to back and they are getting pushed over literally at the snap. Go back and watch the Fla St kicks. I saw one player, I won’t name, twice on blocked kicks, literally pushed backwards at the snap on his butt. the defensive guy, who made the block just pushed him backwards and stepped over him. The player is 6’3, I think about 245 so he isn’t little. He’s balanced wrong.

since this is a free year I’d also kick in kicking situations, no matter the problems. If we keep coaching standards on 4th and 7 with 2 mins left in a blow out and we punt, then actual in game place kicking could help the line and the kickers Learn balance points and kicking height.
The tackling issue has existed for years, even pre-Roof. So it's not just a young player thing. We apparently get kids who just aren't mean or aggressive enough, and the coaches have not been teaching them how to perform better.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
The tackling issue has existed for years, even pre-Roof. So it's not just a young player thing. We apparently get kids who just aren't mean or aggressive enough, and the coaches have not been teaching them how to perform better.

yeah I tried not to get too deep in it, one of the most consistent high tacklers we have is a veteran player but I do think the young ones are to fast for their own good from a form tackling perspective, they grab high and dive early. Everyone of them are subject to it especially in the open field.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Unfortunately, this team ( for whatever reason :unsure: ) has 5 very glaring weaknesses :
1) Waaaaay too many penalties
2) Waaaaay too many turnovers
3) Waaaaay too many missed tackles
4) Waaaaay too many missed XP and FG
5) Waaaaay too unprepared to start a game
Since we have quite a few experienced players at many positions - obviously not QB though - I am struggling to find a reason other than coaching to explain these
weaknesses. A lack of talent may be a partial factor. But penalties, sloppy tackling ? That's just poor effort and focus, IMHO.
Sorry for being so negative , but these things should not be happening in the 2nd year. I know the players know they are not playing well. How could they not ?
That is also obviously affecting their confidence.
But the frustrating thing is that they seem clueless on how to fix this. They seem to just be waiting for their LUCK to change.
Am I missing something ??
Look at the ATL on defense and look at how young we are at DE and DT. Look how little depth we have at LB.

On offense, we are starting a true FR at tackle--not something you really want to ever do--and he is responsible for a lot of false start penalties.

We are starting a true FR QB who is responsible for a lot of turnovers.

New kickers. Our best one (apparently) is a true FR.

We've had a lot of bad luck. Adams death, injuries where we can't afford them (Chimedza, Younjouen, Clayton).

We've had poor recruiting for several years prior to 2020. That's the answer to most of your questions. You don't win in big boy football with young players. People need to study the ATL and not the final score, unless they just want to complain. Most of the bitching on this board has ignorance as the root cause.