Am I being too negative ? Help !!

Cc10221022

Georgia Tech Fan
But............. We are terrible in all phases of the game except punting! Did Collins really say everyone is terrified of what we are going to be? Does anyone really buy into that?

THWG

Helluva Engineer
But............. We are terrible in all phases of the game except punting! Did Collins really say everyone is terrified of what we are going to be? Does anyone really buy into that?
A lot of the talking heads have been saying this. There have been multiple articles written that Tech is a sleeping giant. I believe we can get there, it's just going to take time. I want to see 2 more wins this year and a bowl next year. If we do that, we're on schedule.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I’m sure the transition Paul had wasn’t as drastic as this one , he had nfl caliber people on D & an amazing rb , with that being said I thought we’d see more improvement than what we have under collins &
I’m sick of excuses

I’m not trying to be a jerk but what more can Collins do while he is flipping the roster? We can only sign 25 a year. I’m sure he would have loved to sign 50 but he can’t. All he can do is bring in bigger bodies thru recruiting and the portal, hand them off to Lew and then wait a season or two until they are ready. He did not inherit a Derrick Morgan or a Morgan Burnett. Of our 22 starters the only one not recruited by Collins who may make an NFL roster is Mason. This is going to take time unless they change the system and we can start trading players and amassing draft picks. Look at UGA right now. NFL players all over the field and they are still a mess. This season is only consequential for 3 teams - Clemson, Bama, and Ohio State.

NorthAvenueNation

Jolly Good Fellow
I hope you’re right , but what have you seen so far that makes you believe that ?
I’m confused... what haven’t you seen? We have a super young team and a lot of players left from a different offense playing different positions. I’ve seen branding of our school better then it’s been in 15 years; I’ve seen a few recruits this year that give me a lot of hope; I’ve seen an up-tick of positive talk from ESPN and writers from around the country and that’s just to name a few.

I honestly think the real problem is false hope; the idea that we would go from 3 wins to 7 wins in one year; or better yet, since we beat FSU early, go 11-1.

The three stars we are building the program around are an average age of 18.5 (Sims, Gibbs, Brown)... we played against a ND team today that has 90% of its offense as Jr or Sr.

Id only sound the alarm after 4 straight years of this... not after 1.5 with COVID mixed in.

NorthAvenueNation

Jolly Good Fellow
Contrary to what some say here, we ALL want you to be right about this. I just haven’t seen much to get excited about aside from Gibbs.
Gibbs is going to be great... so is Sims when he has an OL... he is 18. Give it time. Tech fans want the cake and want to eat it too. If that’s the case, pony up, and give a bunch to the athletic department so we can be on par with our competition. Until then, buckle up and live in the process. Or, go be a bandwagon fan. Not trying to be harsh, but I’m absolutely tired of “fans” trashing this team and coaching staff under baseless arguments.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
I think some of you guys are so happy to hear ESPN and the establishment talk about us that you blindly accept the narrative while forgetting that ESPN has hyped up plenty of coaches and programs before that ended up falling flat on their face. I want some evidence this is actually going to work before I buy in completely. That’s not being a hater. That’s just using common sense.

I was very positive after FSU because I thought we got a lot of evidence. Six weeks later and we now know FSU is a dumpster fire and we seem to have regressed. Give me some sort of results.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Even if you believe that you inherited the biggest coaching mess in history, leadership in any endeavor is never about blame placing and excuse making.

I love the new emphasis on the ATL, the branding, the hype, making it fun for players and recruiting the metro area. Lots to love here.

But I have about had it with TV announcers who have bought the party line that EVERYTHING we see wrong with this team is attributable to CPJ. I really want to give our new direction a chance to work but the campaign against a previous coach is not something I ever heard any other Tech coach do in the past. No matter what they inherited or followed.

It is such a turnoff for me that I may not watch any more games until this transition is over and Tech finally wins a few more games. Maybe then the excuses will stop.

It’s bad enough to lose badly but to also leave a bad taste in your mouth by rehashing controversies from previous coaching regimes makes it feel like we are losing multiple seasons in the same year. This is not fun.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
I’m pulling hard for the future. Whenever that may be. But, it’s tough looking up at Liberty, Indiana, and Coastal to name a few. I feel we have a lot more built in advantages than a lot of the programs that are in the top 30.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I’m pulling hard for the future. Whenever that may be. But, it’s tough looking up at Liberty, Indiana, and Coastal to name a few. I feel we have a lot more built in advantages than a lot of the programs that are in the top 30.
Coastal is a good school but this is an example of a very poorly run GTAA. We had the worst facilities in D1 I’m 1980. No Strategic Plan for athletics, no fundraising initiatives (until recently), hiring coaches, firing them and paying enormous settlements.

And what has changed? 40 years later, we are right back in it.

Never has a school with so much achieved so little (in athletics). Bad management and a history of the Hill disengaged from results.

Deleted member 2897

yeah I tried not to get too deep in it, one of the most consistent high tacklers we have is a veteran player but I do think the young ones are to fast for their own good from a form tackling perspective, they grab high and dive early. Everyone of them are subject to it especially in the open field.

One of the guys most maligned on this page on defense has been posting provocative political stuff the last couple days - content that could easily inflame tensions with most of the team. Will be interesting to see how that plays out.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Just a heads up to the community. It's a very fine line here but the political viewpoints of GT football players and staff and discussions of same should be taken to our political forums. I am sure that in a group of 100 or so there are political views across the entire spectrum of thought.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
Unfortunately, this team ( for whatever reason :unsure: ) has 5 very glaring weaknesses :
1) Waaaaay too many penalties
2) Waaaaay too many turnovers
3) Waaaaay too many missed tackles
4) Waaaaay too many missed XP and FG
5) Waaaaay too unprepared to start a game
Since we have quite a few experienced players at many positions - obviously not QB though - I am struggling to find a reason other than coaching to explain these
weaknesses. A lack of talent may be a partial factor. But penalties, sloppy tackling ? That's just poor effort and focus, IMHO.
Sorry for being so negative , but these things should not be happening in the 2nd year. I know the players know they are not playing well. How could they not ?
That is also obviously affecting their confidence.
But the frustrating thing is that they seem clueless on how to fix this. They seem to just be waiting for their LUCK to change.
Am I missing something ??
Your doing a better job than a lot of us. You still actually care. Once you realize that the ONLY plan the head coach has is to recruit and that we may get to 7 wins a year with our better athletes and lost at the wheel coaching in maybe 2-3 more years. Great times on the flats

"The 404! Creating fan apathy by the thousands"

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
One of the guys most maligned on this page on defense has been posting provocative political stuff the last couple days - content that could easily inflame tensions with most of the team. Will be interesting to see how that plays out.
How dare anyone have an independent mind and maybe think differently. Tolerance gets preached a lot. Needs to be practiced more.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
Coastal is a good school but this is an example of a very poorly run GTAA. We had the worst facilities in D1 I’m 1980. No Strategic Plan for athletics, no fundraising initiatives (until recently), hiring coaches, firing them and paying enormous settlements.

And what has changed? 40 years later, we are right back in it.

Never has a school with so much achieved so little (in athletics). Bad management and a history of the Hill disengaged from results.

We can’t just keep blaming the GTAA. We have the help with more funding.

It’s why a friend and I started GTFAM, to bring more people into the fold and get them contributing, and show those people some love and recognition regardless of the amount.

Unfortunately, like many other things, C19 squashed the momentum we had going (we didn’t feel it was in good taste to keep pushing with what was going on).

We do want to start back up. If everyone on this board would contribute, even if only at $50 per month, we could make a very meaningful contribution and difference to what our program could do.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
Yeah I don’t know what he has been posting but narratives are created and enforced, we see it everywhere these days. The ability to see past those narratives is based in a willingness to engage in independent thought which is also discouraged. The fact that this team is so entrenched in “love” for one another and support probably helps to absorb differing opinions. I don’t know what the narrative behind the scenes is, aside from the public one which encouraged unity and voting. It seems the message now, post election is forgiveness ( with some notable exceptions ) so I would think that would be the behind the scene message to the team as well.

navigating political atmosphere in today’s world is like walking through a mine field, encouraging respect and free thinking often finds conflict If you are perceived as supporting a counter narrative Or being vocal in your counter opinion. Provocative statements use to be used to challenge the mind, today not so much. Either way bucking a narrative has draw backs in today’s society as perception often outweighs facts.

his political thoughts shouldn’t have any bearing on his place on the team, regardless of what they are. My thoughts on him are based on his play, I hope that’s what we are all basing it on since most of us don’t know him Personally, I just wish he would fill the correct gap.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
Just a heads up to the community. It's a very fine line here but the political viewpoints of GT football players and staff and discussions of same should be taken to our political forums. I am sure that in a group of 100 or so there are political views across the entire spectrum of thought.

how the heck do we get to that forum ? Im sure given this election someone on here is talking about it but I’ve opted in and still don’t see any political forum, is it hidden ?

Deleted member 2897

It’s not the diversity of opinion or even what the subject is that is the important part. It’s the tone and sharp stick in the eye that caught my attention. Will be interesting to see how that plays out.

zzzboy25

Georgia Tech Fan
@Sheboygan

Yep.

The preseason was cut short by Covid.

Players are practicing in entirely new ways and also have it in the back of their minds that there is a virus floating around them at all times.

2020 has been crazy for everyone involved.
This preseason has been cut short in the most part for everyone..No team is excluded, so that can't be an excuse!