Am I being too negative ? Help !!

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
Unfortunately, this team ( for whatever reason :unsure: ) has 5 very glaring weaknesses :
1) Waaaaay too many penalties
2) Waaaaay too many turnovers
3) Waaaaay too many missed tackles
4) Waaaaay too many missed XP and FG
5) Waaaaay too unprepared to start a game
Since we have quite a few experienced players at many positions - obviously not QB though - I am struggling to find a reason other than coaching to explain these
weaknesses. A lack of talent may be a partial factor. But penalties, sloppy tackling ? That's just poor effort and focus, IMHO.
Sorry for being so negative , but these things should not be happening in the 2nd year. I know the players know they are not playing well. How could they not ?
That is also obviously affecting their confidence.
But the frustrating thing is that they seem clueless on how to fix this. They seem to just be waiting for their LUCK to change.
Am I missing something ??

Jmonty71

Banned
Unfortunately, this team ( for whatever reason :unsure: ) has 5 very glaring weaknesses :
Since we have quite a few experienced players at many positions - obviously not QB though - I am struggling to find a reason other than coaching to explain these
weaknesses. A lack of talent may be a partial factor. But penalties, sloppy tackling ? That's just poor effort and focus, IMHO.
Sorry for being so negative , but these things should not be happening in the 2nd year. I know the players know they are not playing well. How could they not ?
But the frustrating thing is that they seem clueless on how to fix this. They seem to just be waiting for their LUCK to change.
I don't calling facts out, as being negative. There are people that are just realists. The reality is, we make too many errors. The reality is, we look unprepared, too often. The reality is, Collins can recruit, but has yet to show any on field coaching abilities. To me, Collins is an exact model of what Mark Ritch was. A good recruiter that could never get the full potential of the players. So far, that I all I have seen. Now, I would gladly take the 9-10 win seasons that Ritch brought. I don't think Collins is the answer. I think he talks a good game, but really cannot back it up. So, how is that for negativity? We will hear the "greatest change over in college football history" as an excuse for the next 3-4 years.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

Eh, your negativity is probably right on average. If anything, you're not complaining enough about blue uniforms and how we lack juice on the sidelines.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
There is nothing wrong with this team that winning a few ball games would not cure. Unfortunately, they don't seem quite ready to take the next step. We will see if this is a major crisis of confidence or just growing pains continuing from last year.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
I don't calling facts out, as being negative. There are people that are just realists. The reality is, we make too many errors. The reality is, we look unprepared, too often. The reality is, Collins can recruit, but has yet to show any on field coaching abilities. To me, Collins is an exact model of what Mark Ritch was. A good recruiter that could never get the full potential of the players. So far, that I all I have seen. Now, I would gladly take the 9-10 win seasons that Ritch brought. I don't think Collins is the answer. I think he talks a good game, but really cannot back it up. So, how is that for negativity? We will hear the "greatest change over in college football history" as an excuse for the next 3-4 years.
That is exactly what I am thinking at this point. Perhaps 7 years was too long of a contract.......no sense of urgency ? Maybe 5 would have been better, but that's history now. So far , it seems CGC and staff need extra time to prepare in order to play a more complete game. We seem to ride too long with what's not working in the first half, and have to wait until halftime to fix it. In other words, we don't have option B , if option A is not working during play. The BC game was particularly telling. We were playing against a team who was also coming off a bad loss. They came out on fire , like I was hoping we would. Remember , BC had just hired Hafley in December 2019. He was the past co-defensive coordinator at Ohio State. Is CGC in over his head in the ACC ? It's a pretty good coaches league now , with Swinney, Brown , Mendenhall, Cutcliffe, etc.

This article expected us to be significantly improved on the DEFENSIVE side of the ball after our first year, due to CGC........smh

What is really getting to me is that we know we have no chance to win this Saturday. Most knew we would lose last Saturday, just not as bad. This is the first time in a long time that we have been in this position. I really question what the coaches are doing. Example, Jerry Howard, BJS, and Tobias Oliver. Last year they said Oliver was an elite athlete. And yet he hardly plays. Is Howard a LB or a running back. BJS was playing well at line backer. I fear that many of the comments about coaching and not knowing what they are doing are right.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
The preseason was cut short by Covid.

Players are practicing in entirely new ways and also have it in the back of their minds that there is a virus floating around them at all times.

This would make more sense if the better teams were also experiencing the same problems. As it is, it seems GT is one of the few teams that the lack of preseason and ever present worry of viral infections is causing to turn the ball over constantly, make stupid penalties, and miss tackles.

Sarcasm aside, I do believe that the lack of a spring practice does impact us slightly more due to our starting a true freshman at QB, but the rest of it is mainly us just being a bad team right now.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Its kind of like the election, just have to learn to tune it out. After you voted of course.

This too shall pass.

You missed inept place kicking and KO returns from the list. We aren't a real football team if we can't reliably place kick (including blocking for the kick). Yes that is related to poor coaching imho.

Nemo951

Georgia Tech Fan
This would make more sense if the better teams were also experiencing the same problems. As it is, it seems GT is one of the few teams that the lack of preseason and ever present worry of viral infections is causing to turn the ball over constantly, make stupid penalties, and miss tackles.

Sarcasm aside, I do believe that the lack of a spring practice does impact us slightly more due to our starting a true freshman at QB, but the rest of it is mainly us just being a bad team right now.
Other teams are having this problem. Look at LSU and oklahoma. There problems are worse than your typical high senior turn over year would produce. Every team is suffering.

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
Youth and inexperience too. No one seems to want to acknowledge this. We've also had more than our fair share of injuries

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
As some coach once said...you're never as good...or as bad...as you look.

Maybe we're simply not as far away as us sideline fans think we are....

Milwaukee

Banned
That is exactly what I am thinking at this point. Perhaps 7 years was too long of a contract.......no sense of urgency ? Maybe 5 would have been better, but that's history now. So far , it seems CGC and staff need extra time to prepare in order to play a more complete game. We seem to ride too long with what's not working in the first half, and have to wait until halftime to fix it. In other words, we don't have option B , if option A is not working during play. The BC game was particularly telling. We were playing against a team who was also coming off a bad loss. They came out on fire , like I was hoping we would. Remember , BC had just hired Hafley in December 2019. He was the past co-defensive coordinator at Ohio State. Is CGC in over his head in the ACC ? It's a pretty good coaches league now , with Swinney, Brown , Mendenhall, Cutcliffe, etc.

This article expected us to be significantly improved on the DEFENSIVE side of the ball after our first year, due to CGC........smh
Jesus Christ

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
Its kind of like the election, just have to learn to tune it out. After you voted of course.

This too shall pass.

You missed inept place kicking and KO returns from the list. We aren't a real football team if we can't reliably place kick (including blocking for the kick). Yes that is related to poor coaching imho.
I thought that might be piling on a bit. But, you are absolutely right about the coaching ....SO FAR. I am hoping TStan did not make a huge mistake. I certainly NEVER expected us to win many games this year. But overall improvement has been ALMOST ( offense noticeably better when we are way behind- playing 2nd, 3rd string) nonexistent, IMHO.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
We are very young and not very deep. I think the lack of spring hurt us more than most. I expect to see us playing a lot crisper at the end of the year.
I am NOT holding my breath at this point. I would love for them to change my mind. Every team had the same issues this spring. AND they should ALL be playing better at the year's end.