Am I being too negative ? Help !!

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I look at the tackling issue as a young player thing. They approach fast and don’t slow down enough to break down and form tackle.

I'm beginning to think high schools don't teach tackling much an more.
I wonder if the younger posters even know what "form tackling" is? Seems like that disappeared about the time Sports center started highlighting the big, above the waist hits. The beautiful thing about a form tackle is that the runner stops immediately when hit and/or is driven back. No more getting yards after contact. It's beautiful but like so many other things it has completely disappeared. I suspect if it is any one thing, the big shoulder bumps that pass as tackles now aren't likely to risk head or neck injuries. Perahps that is why the coaches have switched to teaching that????

GTFLETCH

Banned
What is really getting to me is that we know we have no chance to win this Saturday. Most knew we would lose last Saturday, just not as bad. This is the first time in a long time that we have been in this position. I really question what the coaches are doing. Example, Jerry Howard, BJS, and Tobias Oliver. Last year they said Oliver was an elite athlete. And yet he hardly plays. Is Howard a LB or a running back. BJS was playing well at line backer. I fear that many of the comments about coaching and not knowing what they are doing are right.
Agree...Super worried myself

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I just don’t understand all the angst. We’ve been inconsistent for years and have had a lot of questions on the coaching side. Say what you want about the current whining about Collins game day coaching and decision making, but it’s not like Johnson and Gailey were game day geniuses. Under Johnson once we got behind by a couple scores we had no chance in coming back since we had no hurry up or shotgun. The worse loss GT has had in the last 30 years was the 9-6 game. I mean seriously that coaching makes Collins look like a genius. The bottom line is Collins is installing a system that current high school players want to play in and it’s a system that can put up points and come from behind. We are really in year 1 since we had no QB last year. Our offense is going to put up a lot of points soon which will continue to draw recruits. The days of begging defensive backs to play QB at GT are over. And if the light never comes on with Sims we’ll have Peery and others ready to take over. We simply don’t have a real alternative on the roster right now. And the right call is to stick with Sims.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I just don’t understand all the angst. We’ve been inconsistent for years and have had a lot of questions on the coaching side. Say what you want about the current whining about Collins game day coaching and decision making, but it’s not like Johnson and Gailey were game day geniuses. Under Johnson once we got behind by a couple scores we had no chance in coming back since we had no hurry up or shotgun. The worse loss GT has had in the last 30 years was the 9-6 game. I mean seriously that coaching makes Collins look like a genius. The bottom line is Collins is installing a system that current high school players want to play in and it’s a system that can put up points and come from behind. We are really in year 1 since we had no QB last year. Our offense is going to put up a lot of points soon which will continue to draw recruits. The days of begging defensive backs to play QB at GT are over. And if the light never comes on with Sims we’ll have Peery and others ready to take over. We simply don’t have a real alternative on the roster right now. And the right call is to stick with Sims.

Some people didn't like Gailey being very conservative. Some people didn't like the offense under Johnson. However, I don't recall ever calling a timeout with 15:00 left in the third quarter with either of those coaches. I don't recall ever seeing that happen with any other team that I have ever watched, NCAA, NFL, high school (12:00), or even pee wee. Sure many people are exaggerating and going over the top, but there have been clock issues, late play calling issues, etc.

I am not against the coaches. I haven't fully bought into CGC, but I am not anti-CGC. Johnson and Gailey weren't perfect, but you can't honestly claim that the current staff hasn't had many more coaching and coordination issues than at least the past three GT head coaches.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Under Johnson once we got behind by a couple scores we had no chance in coming back since we had no hurry up or shotgun.

uga in 2016 had us down by 13 halfway through the 4th quarter. We won that one. I also recall beating UNC after being down big in the first half under Johnson. Wasn't a STH during the Gailey years so my memory fails me there. Biggest point is few teams, hurry up offense or no, come back after big deficits. Unless they are playing the Falcons...

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
uga in 2016 had us down by 13 halfway through the 4th quarter. We won that one. I also recall beating UNC after being down big in the first half under Johnson. Wasn't a STH during the Gailey years so my memory fails me there. Biggest point is few teams, hurry up offense or no, come back after big deficits. Unless they are playing the Falcons...

Adding to this. UGA 2008 as well. We were down 2 scores at half.

The key is that yes, it is harder to come back the more you get down, but When you burn clock you can keep games closer even if you aren't stopping people which means a mistake is more costly either direction.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I wonder if the younger posters even know what "form tackling" is? Seems like that disappeared about the time Sports center started highlighting the big, above the waist hits. The beautiful thing about a form tackle is that the runner stops immediately when hit and/or is driven back. No more getting yards after contact. It's beautiful but like so many other things it has completely disappeared. I suspect if it is any one thing, the big shoulder bumps that pass as tackles now aren't likely to risk head or neck injuries. Perahps that is why the coaches have switched to teaching that????
First time I went out to a rugby practice in Atlanta I learned all about it.
I was a 250# crush dem bones and make my bread kinda flanker who got my clock cleaned by a kid who, MAYBE, was 185.

I remember seeing him square up during a live scrimmage drill, I remember laughing as I barreled down at him, I remember stepping in, intentionally to the contact to meet him violently on my own terms, then remember being flat on my back - surrounded by the team during the tackle drill and seeing the little bastard flat on his feet plucking the ball from my hands.

After that I spent all my time outside of practice learning from the backs.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
to reach the level of the Joe Hamilton days we will need to entirely change the offensive scheme. CRF offense was nothing like what we currently run. His base play was.....the Triple Option.

This is pure revisionist history. We ran some option with Joe, but it wasn’t the triple, and it sure as hell wasn’t the base play.
Ralph ran a multiple offense, mostly out of the I, but in ace and shotgun as well. We ran big TEs like Andrewjetki (may be spelled wrong, we called him Alphabetski), we ran Joe Frank up the gut 100X more often than we ever ran option. We had the best fullback in the nation in Big Ed Wilder.
As far away as we are from the option now is how far away RF offense is from Paul’s offense.

Funny enough, I think a team that committed to an I form offense could really cause trouble for modern defenses. It’s all zone read spread reaction that causes teams to move away from the standard 4-3/3/4 to a nickel dominant set, and linebackers/safeties being coveted for speed and cover ability over strength. But it would take a line that could probably run any other offense it wanted.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer

Two of our wins we got in Athens under CPJ were won by overcoming second half double digit deficits. No one likes to play from behind. I’d bet our record in the CPJ era down in the second half isn’t much different than anyone else’s during the same span. CPJ only had one season as bad as last year and there was plenty of angst. That said, that year (2015) was one year removed from a top 10 finish. In fact his three losing seasons came after two 11 win teams and a 9 win team, so it arguably never got this angsty because there was recent success and very recent highs during the lows to keep confidence that better days would be ahead.

Gailey had 7 straight winning seasons. That 9-6 abomination was in a conference championship game. As horrible as that game was, you can’t really compare it to anything from the current era. We haven’t even won two games in a row, let alone competed for a championship. I mean, one coach has a disaster in a championship game. The other coach has a disaster against an FCS opponent. It’s not comparable.

Coach Collins doesn’t have any kind of recent success to help cool his seat during his struggles. Right now, he doesn’t have a whole lot of highlights from his time with us. Obviously he needs time to rebuild, but it seems pretty understandable that a fanbase that hasn’t missed a bowl two straight years in almost 30 years is frustrated at a 5-13 streak through 1.5 seasons. That might not be fair, but it is what it is.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Two of our wins we got in Athens under CPJ were won by overcoming second half double digit deficits. No one likes to play from behind. I’d bet our record in the CPJ era down in the second half isn’t much different than anyone else’s during the same span. CPJ only had one season as bad as last year and there was plenty of angst. That said, that year (2015) was one year removed from a top 10 finish. In fact his three losing seasons came after two 11 win teams and a 9 win team, so it arguably never got this angsty because there was recent success and very recent highs during the lows to keep confidence that better days would be ahead.

Gailey had 7 straight winning seasons. That 9-6 abomination was in a conference championship game. As horrible as that game was, you can’t really compare it to anything from the current era. We haven’t even won two games in a row, let alone competed for a championship. I mean, one coach has a disaster in a championship game. The other coach has a disaster against an FCS opponent. It’s not comparable.

Coach Collins doesn’t have any kind of recent success to help cool his seat during his struggles. Right now, he doesn’t have a whole lot of highlights from his time with us. Obviously he needs time to rebuild, but it seems pretty understandable that a fanbase that hasn’t missed a bowl two straight years in almost 30 years is frustrated at a 5-13 streak through 1.5 seasons. That might not be fair, but it is what it is.

Neither Gailey or Johnson had to make wholesale changes like Collins has. And they didn’t get nit picked to death in games their first few seasons. Johnson inherited a roster with several NFL players and a QB who was about perfect for his system. My point is it’s just way too early to dogpile Collins. Next year have at if we lose games by 30 plus then have at him. And I’ll point out again that Johnson won 3 games in year 8. Yes, injuries killed us just like lack of recruiting in 2016, 2017, and 2018 has killed the Collins era so far. As for Gailey, I’d say his misuse of Calvin in the biggest game of the year was way worse than ill advised timeouts. I guarantee if Collins gets to the ACCCG in a few years that Gibbs better sleep well the night before because he’ll touch the ball as much as our center.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
Neither Gailey or Johnson had to make wholesale changes like Collins has. And they didn’t get nit picked to death in games their first few seasons. Johnson inherited a roster with several NFL players and a QB who was about perfect for his system. My point is it’s just way too early to dogpile Collins. Next year have at if we lose games by 30 plus then have at him. And I’ll point out again that Johnson won 3 games in year 8. Yes, injuries killed us just like lack of recruiting in 2016, 2017, and 2018 has killed the Collins era so far. As for Gailey, I’d say his misuse of Calvin in the biggest game of the year was way worse than ill advised timeouts. I guarantee if Collins gets to the ACCCG in a few years that Gibbs better sleep well the night before because he’ll touch the ball as much as our center.

Again, as I already said in my last post “ That might not be fair, but it is what it is”. You wanted to know why people are angsty. I told you. I never said the reason why was fair.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Johnson had to convert people to play tackle and rely on some walkons on the offensive line. The change was as drastic as the one the other direction.

THWG16

Ramblin' Wreck
Johnson had to convert people to play tackle and rely on some walkons on the offensive line. The change was as drastic as the one the other direction.
I’m sure the transition Paul had wasn’t as drastic as this one , he had nfl caliber people on D & an amazing rb , with that being said I thought we’d see more improvement than what we have under collins &
I’m sick of excuses

NorthAvenueNation

Jolly Good Fellow

You’re correct when you say it is what it is. We went all in in the 3O with CPJ. I’m glad we did and I’m thankful for that era. We can’t be 3O forever. Good time for a change... buckle up and continue to support CGC. Can’t WAIT to look back and see 95% of these posts in 2 years.

THWG16

Ramblin' Wreck
You’re correct when you say it is what it is. We went all in in the 3O with CPJ. I’m glad we did and I’m thankful for that era. We can’t be 3O forever. Good time for a change... buckle up and continue to support CGC. Can’t WAIT to look back and see 95% of these posts in 2 years.
I hope you’re right , but what have you seen so far that makes you believe that ?

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
Contrary to what some say here, we ALL want you to be right about this. I just haven’t seen much to get excited about aside from Gibbs.