Am I being too negative ? Help !!

zzzboy25

Georgia Tech Fan
What is really getting to me is that we know we have no chance to win this Saturday. Most knew we would lose last Saturday, just not as bad. This is the first time in a long time that we have been in this position. I really question what the coaches are doing. Example, Jerry Howard, BJS, and Tobias Oliver. Last year they said Oliver was an elite athlete. And yet he hardly plays. Is Howard a LB or a running back. BJS was playing well at line backer. I fear that many of the comments about coaching and not knowing what they are doing are right.
Exactly.....it's coaching, what are they thinking about when choosing talent.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
how the heck do we get to that forum ? Im sure given this election someone on here is talking about it but I’ve opted in and still don’t see any political forum, is it hidden ?
If you opted in for the Political Topics forum you will find it in the Swarm Lounge. There's an election thread there.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
This preseason has been cut short in the most part for everyone..No team is excluded, so that can't be an excuse!
So let’s say you and I are both students at GT and you’re a senior and I’m a freshman. You’ve been taking major classes for years and I’ve just arrived on campus and suddenly we are both asked to present some information next Monday to a large group and it is the info you’ve been studying for years. Both of us have the same restriction on prep time. One week. Should I be able to do as good a job as you since we’ve both had equal notice? Or should you be more prepared for this short turnaround on presenting because you’ve been studying the material for years and I haven’t?

That’s the way I look at “the same” circumstances.

Deleted member 2897

So let’s say you and I are both students at GT and you’re a senior and I’m a freshman. You’ve been taking major classes for years and I’ve just arrived on campus and suddenly we are both asked to present some information next Monday to a large group and it is the info you’ve been studying for years. Both of us have the same restriction on prep time. One week. Should I be able to do as good a job as you since we’ve both had equal notice? Or should you be more prepared for this short turnaround on presenting because you’ve been studying the material for years and I haven’t?

That’s the way I look at “the same” circumstances.

For example, here are Notre Dame's starters from last weekend:
QB: 5th year senior
RB: Sophomore
WR: Graduate Student
WR: 5th year senior
WR: Senior
TE: Senior
LT: Graduate Student
LG: Senior
C: Junior
RG: Graduate Student
RT: Senior

And its even actually more pronounced on defense. They don't have a single Freshman starting on either side of the ball, and only 2 Sophomores total on either side. 8 starters on defense are seniors or graduate students.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
For example, here are Notre Dame's starters from last weekend:
QB: 5th year senior
RB: Sophomore
WR: Graduate Student
WR: 5th year senior
WR: Senior
TE: Senior
LT: Graduate Student
LG: Senior
C: Junior
RG: Graduate Student
RT: Senior

And its even actually more pronounced on defense. They don't have a single Freshman starting on either side of the ball, and only 2 Sophomores total on either side. 8 starters on defense are seniors or graduate students.

ND is a great example of playing "older" guys, but the difference is still pretty moot overall. On offense, we have FR/SO starters at 4/11 positions, 5 when mason is out at RB. On Defense we have been rotating about 20 guys in. FR/SO account for about 8 of those, and to my knowledge, no True Freshman have been starting or even compiling serious game time yet. Other schools, Like UNC, are playing similar levels of underclassmen on their teams with different results.

IMO, total underclassmen is not the problem. COVID interrupted practice affected everyone, so I don't buy that logic whatsoever. I firmly believe that the simplest answer is the most likely, and that is this is year two of a substantial rebuild, and we are placing the offense in the hands of a true freshman QB. There will be growing pains, but the upside is huge.

The problem is that the offense, which is being rebuilt, is showing signs of improvement, while the defense, which didn't need total scheme rebuilding, is clearly regressing. I confess I have no clue as to why we are worse in year two on defense under the tutelage of former thrice nominated Broyles Award defensive coach, but that's where we are.

Let's just hope recruiting improves even more and we turn this ship around faster than expected.

Deleted member 2897

ND is a great example of playing "older" guys, but the difference is still pretty moot overall. On offense, we have FR/SO starters at 4/11 positions, 5 when mason is out at RB. On Defense we have been rotating about 20 guys in. FR/SO account for about 8 of those, and to my knowledge, no True Freshman have been starting or even compiling serious game time yet. Other schools, Like UNC, are playing similar levels of underclassmen on their teams with different results.

I just went and looked. In the last game, North Carolina started 0 Freshmen on defense and 3 Sophomores. 2 of those 3 were highly rated top 10 position people nationally as recruits. In our last game, we started 1 Freshman (Mike Lockhart), and 3 Sophomores (Chico, Ryans, Zamari). Also keep in mind this list on our side includes 2 walk-ons. We've taken 3 defensive guys total in the last 65 recruits who were rated 4-stars. I share your frustration with our defense for sure. North Carolina hasn't exactly lit up the world on defense though. They haven't played Clemson yet. If you look at points per game given up against everyone except Clemson, North Carolina gives up 27.6 points a game, while Georgia Tech gives up 31.2 points per game. Neither one is especially wonderful. In fact, if you remove defensive scores, I bet we're within 1 point per game of each other.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I just went and looked. In the last game, North Carolina started 0 Freshmen on defense and 3 Sophomores. 2 of those 3 were highly rated top 10 position people nationally as recruits. In our last game, we started 1 Freshman (Mike Lockhart), and 3 Sophomores (Chico, Ryans, Zamari). Also keep in mind this list on our side includes 2 walk-ons. We've taken 3 defensive guys total in the last 65 recruits who were rated 4-stars. I share your frustration with our defense for sure. North Carolina hasn't exactly lit up the world on defense though. They haven't played Clemson yet. If you look at points per game given up against everyone except Clemson, North Carolina gives up 27.6 points a game, while Georgia Tech gives up 31.2 points per game. Neither one is especially wonderful. In fact, if you remove defensive scores, I bet we're within 1 point per game of each other.
The ACC thinks our defensive PPG average is 39.7. We are ranked 15th on defense and 13th on offense (21.4 PPG) in the ACC.

BTW, UNC at 27.6 PPG is ranked #7 on defense.

Deleted member 2897

The ACC thinks our defensive PPG average is 39.7. We are ranked 15th on defense and 13th on offense (21.4 PPG) in the ACC.

BTW, UNC at 27.6 PPG is ranked #7 on defense.

As I said above, the numbers I posted are for ACC play, minus Clemson (North Carolina hasn't played and doesn't play Clemson this year). As such, we are only 3.5 points per game different than them on defense, and I bet its within 1 point or so if you exclude the other team's defensive scores.

Of note, North Carolina gave up 31 to Florida State, 44 to Virginia, and 45 to Virginia Tech. When you start comparing that to 31 against Notre Dame, 37 against Syracuse, and 48 against Boston College and keep in mind it includes some defensive scores, there's not much difference.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

No one said UNC was world beaters, but they are starting a decent bit of underclassmen and they have a winning record. They did manage to beat BC and Syracuse, which was beyond us, and their QB is a Sophomore. As I said, there are other teams out there starting a lot of younger players, not all are as bad as we are right now. It has next to nothing to do with COVID stoppages, and more to do with scheme transition on offense and unexplained defensive regression. In other words, growing pains.

Also, while they aren't "starting" any FR on defense, there are 7 FR and 4 SOs in their 2deep getting PT right now.

Deleted member 2897

No one said UNC was world beaters, but they are starting a decent bit of underclassmen and they have a winning record. They did manage to beat BC and Syracuse, which was beyond us, and their QB is a Sophomore. As I said, there are other teams out there starting a lot of younger players, not all are as bad as we are right now. It has next to nothing to do with COVID stoppages, and more to do with scheme transition on offense and unexplained defensive regression. In other words, growing pains.

Also, while they aren't "starting" any FR on defense, there are 7 FR and 4 SOs in their 2deep getting PT right now.

They have 11 underclassmen in their 2-deep getting PT right now. We have roughly 16. They have 3 underclassmen starting and we have 4. They are giving up 3 points per game less than us. That's really inconsequential when you consider thats how many points we lose per game from kicking problems :D. North Carolina is winning games because in large part they are scoring 41 points per game compared to our 20.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
They have 11 underclassmen in their 2-deep getting PT right now. We have roughly 16. They have 3 underclassmen starting and we have 4. They are giving up 3 points per game less than us. That's really inconsequential when you consider thats how many points we lose per game from kicking problems :D. North Carolina is winning games because in large part they are scoring 41 points per game compared to our 20.
They have a very good quarterback.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

IMO, total underclassmen is not the problem. COVID interrupted practice affected everyone, so I don't buy that logic whatsoever. I firmly believe that the simplest answer is the most likely, and that is this is year two of a substantial rebuild, and we are placing the offense in the hands of a true freshman QB. There will be growing pains, but the upside is huge.

The problem is that the offense, which is being rebuilt, is showing signs of improvement, while the defense, which didn't need total scheme rebuilding, is clearly regressing. I confess I have no clue as to why we are worse in year two on defense under the tutelage of former thrice nominated Broyles Award defensive coach, but that's where we are.

Let's just hope recruiting improves even more and we turn this ship around faster than expected.

Don't forget special teams. No rebuilding there.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Touche. We poured kerosene on that unit and lobbed molotov cocktails at it...

In fairness I was lumping all ST stuff together to make a point.

Here's how I would look at ST at a more granular level.

Punting - Excellent
Punt coverage - Good
KO - Good to excellent
KO coverage - Good to excellent
KO returns - Bad for not fair catching more. Average start well inside 25.
Punt returns - indeterminate given small sample size but we haven't fumbled any fair catches so good
Place kicking snapping - good
Place kicking holding - good
Place kicking blocking - dismal
Place kicking by kicker - dismal

It's the last two which remind me of the saying "put a thimbleful of **** in a barrel of wine and you have a barrel full of ****."

gtstinger776

Ramblin' Wreck
I think we need to pony up the money to get better assistant coaching. Many of us were skeptical when Collins essentially rolled over most of his Temple staff. Part of that was due to budgeting.

A proper ST coordinator and new DC would be a nice start.

Sam Pittman made Ark bust open the check book for quality / proven coordinators - and that investment is proving to be very good.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
In fairness I was lumping all ST stuff together to make a point.

Here's how I would look at ST at a more granular level.

Punting - Excellent
Punt coverage - Good
KO - Good to excellent
KO coverage - Good to excellent
KO returns - Bad for not fair catching more. Average start well inside 25.
Punt returns - indeterminate given small sample size but we haven't fumbled any fair catches so good
Place kicking snapping - good
Place kicking holding - good
Place kicking blocking - dismal
Place kicking by kicker - dismal

It's the last two which remind me of the saying "put a thimbleful of **** in a barrel of wine and you have a barrel full of ****."

Fair points.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
I think we need to pony up the money to get better assistant coaching. Many of us were skeptical when Collins essentially rolled over most of his Temple staff. Part of that was due to budgeting.

A proper ST coordinator and new DC would be a nice start.

Sam Pittman made Ark bust open the check book for quality / proven coordinators - and that investment is proving to be very good.
We had a DC who had a far better track record that should have been kept to have some consistency on at least half the team. Just yet another example of poor decision making from the head coach. The DC needed 2-3 years. We would have been there now and could have made a decision if he was as good as his previous track record.

It is really sad how over his head CGC is and the price Tech is paying and will continue to pay because of it.