ACC Tournament

THWG16

Ramblin' Wreck
No, I've been watching too much GT Basketball....especially tournament basketball. Has Pastner won even a single game there yet? And I can't recall the last time we won our first two games.....
This is sad , we’re getting used to this , that’s what’s bad . Don’t know who to blame but I’m sick of this , I grew up in the years when it was pretty much automatic for us to go to tourney

THWG16

Ramblin' Wreck
Disappointed with the loss, but love the effort in the second half. Wright has been unreal the last couple of weeks. I never thought he was capable of playing like that. I honestly believe that we have a tournament team next year. A starting five of Alvarado, Devoe, Moore, Wright, and Banks looks pretty damn good. Then add in Usher as the 6th man, Haywood as the 3rd guard, and a rotation of Cole/Sjolund as the backup bigs and we have something. The most important recruits that we have are the ones on the roster. These guys need to improve their games and gel better over the summer.
I’m tired of hearing “great effort coming back “, we shouldn’t have been down by that much to a sucky team in first place

Deleted member 2897

Yet another game where we outshot the other team, but lost. Its amazing how many times that seems to happen with us. We made 2 free throws today compared to 16 for Notre Dame. Sad.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
It's official, only the baseball team has a chance to make the NCAAs for this school season in football, men's basketball and baseball. Are the Women's basket ball team out of it too?

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Didn't see the game--work is the scourge of the drinking class.

I am always suspect when I see a game like this one--one team shoots 23 FT and the other team shoots 7. Was the disparity due to a comeback effort, or bad officiating?

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
Yet another game where we outshot the other team, but lost. Its amazing how many times that seems to happen with us. We made 2 free throws today compared to 16 for Notre Dame. Sad.
That disparity is flat-out sickening. Equalize those numbers and we win the game.

jbix80

Ramblin' Wreck

I am always suspect when I see a game like this one--one team shoots 23 FT and the other team shoots 7. Was the disparity due to a comeback effort, or bad officiating?
It wasn’t that bad actually...a few calls here and there, but wasn’t too bad.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
That disparity is flat-out sickening. Equalize those numbers and we win the game.
I mean not necessarily...ND had their foot off the pedal and our foot was on the pedal pretty much the entire 2nd half. It's unlikely the teams would have played with the same vigor if we had been making our free throws in the first half.

The main reason for the free throw disparity is we played hard-nosed defense in the 2nd half and constantly banged jump shooters (twice on 3s) and rebounders while they basically gave us uncontested layups and runners in the lane the entire second half. No issues with the officiating though the flagrant on Alston seemed tough and the shot clock buzzer mishap that led to a free Mooney dunk kinda sucked.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
I mean not necessarily...ND had their foot off the pedal and our foot was on the pedal pretty much the entire 2nd half. It's unlikely the teams would have played with the same vigor if we had been making our free throws in the first half.

The main reason for the free throw disparity is we played hard-nosed defense in the 2nd half and constantly banged jump shooters (twice on 3s) and rebounders while they basically gave us uncontested layups and runners in the lane the entire second half. No issues with the officiating though the flagrant on Alston seemed tough and the shot clock buzzer mishap that led to a free Mooney dunk kinda sucked.
I should have been more clear. I wasn’t grousing about the refereeing, and I acknowledge that there may have been a legitimate play-style based reason for that FTA differential. (I didn’t get the chance to watch the game.) I’m just saying that, whatever the reason, it’s maddening to see us lose a game by single digits, when points at the FT line was a double-digit disparity.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
IMO there are 3 main areas that cost us the game.

First half defense was the biggest. It was obvious that ND was comfortable against our zone, playing against it for a third time probably didn't help. We very much missed Haywood in that regards because they were getting to the middle of the zone far too easy. The zone we ran this year is a weird one, and relies both on good communication and timing to run effectively, but also was designed to confuse opponents and make them unsure. Going forward we either need to change things up where the zone we are running doesn't rely so much on opponents being uncomfortable or supplement it throughout the year more with man to man or other zones. This year with all the new pieces it would be hard to pull off, but with us not losing much in the off season I hope we see a little more diversity in our defense next year. Also, in addition to that the effort was not there and you have to give credit to ND for hitting shots.

2nd - Jose did not play well. In some ways the poor first half defense was offset a bit by Moses' uncharacteristicly boom in production (or his production was negated by the poor first half D depending on how you look at it).Obviously I don't place all, or even most, of the blame on Jose, but for next year we absolutely need him to be able to give us a reliable 10-12 points. Him, Devoe, and Banks need to be getting 8-10 every single game for us next year.

3rd Freethrows. Both the 23-7 FTA difference and the 2-7 on them cost us. Can't really comment on why the first one happened because I was only able to catch the first 15 minutes, but it's hard to overcome a 16 FTA difference. We need guys like Moore, Usher, Devoe, and Wright to spend some time in the off season gaining some muscle and focus on getting to the line some. It's such an equalizer (or unequalizer).

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck

Well, 6 of them were the result of our guys idiotically bulldozing (not bumping) 3 point shooters, as we tend to do with amazingly stupid regularity.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
Biggest difference between halves was intensity, not defense we ran.

Biggest difference was Notre Dame losing Laszewski and only having 6 players in uniform. (one of them was a stiff who played in 9 games all year -- Doherty -- scored 6 points in ACC play). Lasewski had 14 & 4 before getting injured. He was killing us, both inside and out. In second half, they had to play 5 guys the full 20.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
We very much missed Haywood

He would have eaten up pointless minutes (literally). We've played our best offense of the year without him on the court.

On your 3 points, you are mostly right about the defense letting us down in the first half. They absolutely killed us. I think we ran a little more 2-3ish today though instead of 1-3-1ish and it left the middle too open. Jose had an off game scoring, but he had averaged 18 ppg in the previous 6 games. I would like to see him make his way to the free throw line if he isn't scoring from the field, which ties into your 3rd point. That kind of FTA discrepancy is going to be hard to overcome. Coaches and players need to be aware of the discrepancy in real time and make adjustments, not just ruminate on it afterwards.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
I was hoping to eat crow after writing us off at half time, but it wasn't to be. The guys played hard down the stretch and made a legit run to close to 3. Hats off to Moses for his offensive game, his best ever. We melted down in the last minute and blew our chances at completing an epic come back, starting with Mooney's jumper over Moses, then Moses rushed a wild hook shot, then he committed a bad foul too quickly. The blocked shot on Devoe put the nail in the coffin, and Jose air balled a 3 in there somewhere.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
He would have eaten up pointless minutes (literally). We've played our best offense of the year without him on the court.

So why did you quote a portion of a sentence that was referring directly to the defensive end, cut out the portion that specifically refers to the statement being about the defensive end, and then decide to respond about the offense?