ACC Tournament

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Things could change this weekend, but our regular season is over. We could finish 10th, 11th, or 12th depending on the outcome of games this weekend. We need Miami and Boston College to lose. Miami is on the road at Virginia Tech and BC hosts NC State. VT and NC State will both be favored and both have a ton to play for this weekend.

If we finish 10th, we will play on Tuesday against the loser of the Pitt-ND game (Saturday night). If we win that game we will play either VT, Syracuse or Louisville on Wednesday. Strange things can happen, but it would most likely be Louisville. They kicked our butt in January in a game where we played without Jose, AD, and Alston. UL has lost 5 of there 7 games, including a loss to BC last weekend.

We could win two games next week. If we win those two, the #2 seed will be rested and waiting for us. That could be UVA (not likely), UNC or Duke. Unless Virginia slips up this weekend at home against Louisville, we would play the winner of this weekend's game between UNC and Duke. Anything is theoretically possible.

If we finish 11th or 12th it gets tougher, but not by much. We will be favored on Tuesday and the underdog on Wednesday no matter who we play. Assuming, of course, we win on Tuesday.

MiracleWhips

Ramblin' Wreck
That would be perfect. I’ll be at the first round and if we get the late games I would make it to both Tuesday and Wednesday games (yes I am planning on making it past the first round)

JDjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I would rather miami beat vt tomorrow night to put us in line for the 3 seed (most likely the dukies) should we make a run. It would also ensure that we had the late game as long we're in the tournament.

I was thinking about this as well. Zion-less Duke vs UNC for 3rd game. Of course this would also depend on who you want to play in game 2. UL or Cuse. Revenge game for us or against us depending on who we got. If we go the 3 seed route we're most likely playing cuse. We keep the 10 and are most likely playing UL.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I was thinking about this as well. Zion-less Duke vs UNC for 3rd game. Of course this would also depend on who you want to play in game 2. UL or Cuse. Revenge game for us or against us depending on who we got. If we go the 3 seed route we're most likely playing cuse. We keep the 10 and are most likely playing UL.
It will be an uphill battle either way and we have no say in the course of events this weekend.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Honestly, I don't really care if we play the 3 or 2. In either case it means winning the next 2, for a streak of 4 IAR and 5 of 7. That should have everyone fairly optimistic for next year, and be a good end of the season if we can make it happen.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Honestly, I don't really care if we play the 3 or 2. In either case it means winning the next 2, for a streak of 4 IAR and 5 of 7. That should have everyone fairly optimistic for next year, and be a good end of the season if we can make it happen.
100% agree. Add to that fact that our seniors played a total of eight minutes in the NC State game. And Usher joining us next season along with (hopefully) another ACC level recruit.

I was thinking about this as well. Zion-less Duke vs UNC for 3rd game.

Especially if you look at the fact that we were leading a Duke team with Zion at halftime in Cameron earlier this year. That showed me that we have the potential of playing with the dukies and maybe it's just a better matchup for us than uva or unc.

MiracleWhips

Ramblin' Wreck
Yes. It is possible.

We have to win four in the ACCT to be eligible for the post season. I am not sure the NIT would invite us even in that case, but we might be a hot topic at 18-17 and playing for the ACC Championship.
Ok, I was under the impression that we needed to be .500 to be eligible for post season. 3 wins is a stretch but 4.....

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Pretty sure the NIT no longer has the .500 restrictions which means theoretically we could get an invite no matter our record.

In reality though I think we are in next loss ends our season time. Maybe if we make the ACC CG we'd have a shot at the NIT but I wouldn't hold my breath.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
It will be an uphill battle either way and we have no say in the course of events this weekend.
Past performance is no guarantee for future performance ........ but based on our recent past performance, I give us a 60% chance in the first game against Pitt/wake/ND, 50% against BC, and <50% against Miami. In the second game I give us 20-30% if we get either UL or Cuse. < 5% if we get to the semis.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I believe these are the scenarios.

Miami loses - GT #10 seed
Miami win and BC lose - GT #11 seed (GT loses tiebreaker to Miami)
Miami and BC win - GT #12 seed (we lose the 3-way tiebreaker scenarios)

Frankly, I just want to be the #10 seed.
Miami is playing Virginia Tech, who needs to win to avoid sliding back into a tie with UL and Cuse. BC is playing NC State, who cannot afford another loss if they have any hope of an NCAAT invite. If NC State loses Saturday, the tears shed by State fans may cause flooding in the Neuse River.

ramblinjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I believe these are the scenarios.

Miami loses - GT #10 seed
Miami win and BC lose - GT #11 seed (GT loses tiebreaker to Miami)
Miami and BC win - GT #12 seed (we lose the 3-way tiebreaker scenarios)

Frankly, I just want to be the #10 seed.
Real reason to be optimistic on that 10 seed. Miami down 18 late in first half.