ACC Standings

DasaniMan

Georgia Tech Fan
Our ’easiest’ path to the acc champs is now:
- GT wins out
- UNC wins out
- Louisville loses at least 1 game
In this scenario we win the 3 way tie due to having wins over common opponents Miami and Virginia while UNC and UL both have one loss among them. FPI gives us a 15% chance to make the ACC champs if we win out.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
This year I am ok not getting to the championship game. I would prefer to beat Clemson and Cuse and then win a lower tier bowl game and build momentum for recruiting and transfers and next year

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
This year I am ok not getting to the championship game. I would prefer to beat Clemson and Cuse and then win a lower tier bowl game and build momentum for recruiting and transfers and next year
No way. The exposure we’d get playing a top 5 team in the ACC Championship game would pay dividends for our everyone and everything involved in our program (recruits, CBK, fans, keeping our players, etc.).

pittkesh99

Georgia Tech Fan
The only way we make the ACC Championship game are if the only 6-2 ACC teams are

1) GT-Louisville-UNC
2) GT-NC State
3) GT-UNC
4) GT

Not playing FSU hurts a lot in SOS. But it also highlights how critical that week 1 game against Louisville was; Win that and we are in the driver seat and would own tiebreakers over pretty much every other ACC team

But nevertheless focus should be on winning the games upcoming because everything else is out of our control…I want to make a bowl game at the very least

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
We have another game to win to even qualify for a bowl game. I'd say first things first: we have to win one of the next two games. Syracuse looks like the best shot, but we know how those have gone this season. I just want us to qualify for a bowl and I'll be happy with the season overall.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
As much as any year, the weekend after Thanksgiving will go a long way toward conference perception.

1699194026194.png

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
As much as any year, the weekend after Thanksgiving will go a long way toward conference perception.

View attachment 15055
At start of year if someone on Swarm had said that w 3 games to go we would have clawed our way past clemson, miami nc state, duke, unc , he would have been totally mocked. By me too.

We are ascending while others decending.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Clemson over USCe is likely.
UL over UK likely, but close.
FSU over UF is likely, but close.
GT over uga is unlikely.
If FSU doesn’t beat this Florida team handedly they have no business being in the playoff.

Louisville just needs to beat Kentucky by any margin for the ACCCG to have real significance for the wider college football world. There could be scenarios where the ACC champion is an auto lock for the CFP, but there are others where the ACC could get left out entirely, especially if FSU and/or Louisville don’t take care of business against UF and UK.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer

That seems like an overreaction to how bad the loss was at Clemson. Nothing is certain, but we should beat Syracuse. If we do: That would mean we could finish no lower than fifth in the conference standings. Even if we lose to Syracuse, we can't finish any lower than 9th. It is possible, and not a stretch, that we could be tied for third in the conference standings.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
That seems like an overreaction to how bad the loss was at Clemson. Nothing is certain, but we should beat Syracuse. If we do: That would mean we could finish no lower than fifth in the conference standings. Even if we lose to Syracuse, we can't finish any lower than 9th. It is possible, and not a stretch, that we could be tied for third in the conference standings.
Power rankings aren’t really supposed to be indicative of the standings though, that’s kinda the concept. If we beat Syracuse, we’d finish 5-3 in the conference by beating 3 of the bottom 4 teams, and losing to another bottom half team. This year’s schedule actually set up very nice for us to make a run at a special year. But bad losses to Bowling Green and Boston College, on top of blowing a huge 2nd half lead to Louisville mean we’re struggling to make a bowl game again.

There are parallel universes where this team would be 10-1 or 9-2 going into the COFH game, there are also some where we are 3-8 or 4-7.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Power rankings aren’t really supposed to be indicative of the standings though, that’s kinda the concept. If we beat Syracuse, we’d finish 5-3 in the conference by beating 3 of the bottom 4 teams, and losing to another bottom half team. This year’s schedule actually set up very nice for us to make a run at a special year. But bad losses to Bowling Green and Boston College, on top of blowing a huge 2nd half lead to Louisville mean we’re struggling to make a bowl game again.

There are parallel universes where this team would be 10-1 or 9-2 going into the COFH game, there are also some where we are 3-8 or 4-7.
Even if you look at it that way: We would be 3-1 against the bottom half of the power rankings and 2-2 against the top half. That still doesn't indicate to me below everyone except the 5 conference loss teams.

Like I said before, this appears to be a clear overreaction to the way we lost the Clemson game.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer

Should probably be:

1. FSU
2. Louisville
3. Duke
4. NC State
5. Clemson
6. UNC
7. VT
8. BC
9. GT
10. Miami
11. UVA
12. Syracuse
13. Wake
14. Pitt

If Clemson wins out, which they probably will,
they will move up to 3 or 4. You could also maybe flip BC and GT.

Last edited: