ACC Standings

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
That list seems pretty good to me.

I remember at the beginning of the season watching a show before the TCU-Colorado game and they talked about whether TCU or Colorado would be the bigger story.
I remember thinking to myself at the time that Colorado would probably be the most talked about 4-8 team in the country. I wish I had the foresight to stick with that thought after they were 3-0.
It turns out their wins just weren't very impressive.
a 3-pt win against a 5-7 TCU Team. A dominating win over a Jeff Sims led Nebraska team - probably its best win of the year. An overtime comeback win over a 5-7 g5 rival Colorado state.
a 3-pt win against a 3-9 AZ St team.

What I think Colorado showed this year is you simply cannot build lines in one year using the portal. Their OL and DL were just bad. Those 2 groups have to work so well as a unit that trying to throw them together in one offseason simply isn't going to work.
I think Deion will likely need to have his 2 sons and Travis Hunter back to continue to improve, but most importantly his program has to get better on both lines. I'm not sure how much he is planning on bringing in HS kids vs transfers this offseason as he currently has only 10 commits from HS players.
I dunna' know. Liberty and James Madison and Tulane are truly top 25 teams? Their records say so but really?

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I dunna' know. Liberty and James Madison and Tulane are truly top 25 teams? Their records say so but really?
That’s the challenge in college football. 130 teams and 12 games. No way to know.

I know I don’t want GT to schedule JMU or Liberty. Nothing to gain and a very possible loss.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
It's not more than apparent to me. Portal works both ways. I don't see only "crumbs" ...some useful talent will come faster to the non-elites.

There were elites before this new age of the portal ... & I agree they'll exist now too.
The portal has made the elites more "elite" if that were possible. The top dozen or so will dominate college football and the most of the rest will become Vanderbilt like proxies selling their souls for a payday. The gulf is that wide.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Human polls tend to weigh W-L records most heavily in their rankings. This is why I’m for an expanded playoff. It’s difficult enough to know how to rank teams across conferences, even more so between the G5 and P5 teams due to limited crossover games.

That said, ranking systems that attempt to use some form of SoS tend to rank those teams in the top 20 to top 40. We rank in the 50’s for comparison. Any of them would be a tough out for us this year.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Human polls tend to weigh W-L records most heavily in their rankings. This is why I’m for an expanded playoff. It’s difficult enough to know how to rank teams across conferences, even more so between the G5 and P5 teams due to limited crossover games.

That said, ranking systems that attempt to use some form of SoS tend to rank those teams in the top 20 to top 40. We rank in the 50’s for comparison. Any of them would be a tough out for us this year.
I think it Colley who rates W/L but with an SOS modifier.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer

Damn it! Let's just play 52 games a year and not have an off-season. Have a 53-team league of elites. That way we can truly determine who is the best any given week.

Or better yet, let's have a 50-team league of elite academy teams loosely associated with universities, cities, regions, sponsors, whatever. Everybody plays everybody in a round-robin, then we have an 8-team play-off and start all over again. Bottom 10 teams drop out and the top 10 teams from the next league get a chance to stick around.

Last edited:

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck
The Athletic has us as the top 6-6 team in D1.

I think that's a good take. We have a pretty high strength of schedule and probably should have beaten BC and BG (probably would if we played again) on the other side we should have lost to Miami. So if you swap BC&BG to wins and Miami to a loss we would be 7-5 with a strong strength of schedule.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
I think that's a good take. We have a pretty high strength of schedule and probably should have beaten BC and BG (probably would if we played again) on the other side we should have lost to Miami. So if you swap BC&BG to wins and Miami to a loss we would be 7-5 with a strong strength of schedule.
Yep. I think we're a 7-5 team masquerading as a 6-6 team. Ha!

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Yep. I think we're a 7-5 team masquerading as a 6-6 team. Ha!
As Red pointed out our season stats scream 6-6. In nearly every statistic we are dead even with our collective opponents. Still lots of good this season. Happy with how the season turned out overall.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
As Red pointed out our season stats scream 6-6. In nearly every statistic we are dead even with our collective opponents. Still lots of good this season. Happy with how the season turned out overall.
There you go! That wasn’t so hard now was it? 😛

Yes, we are 6-6, but averaged in are some bad games early on that pull the average down. When we play like we can we’re better than that.