ACC Standings

alagold

Helluva Engineer
I actually think it is the reverse.
The potential fallacy in their position is that they are treating the portal as a one way stop and it is not.
While players who are not contributing at the blue blood schools are transferring out, they are offsetting this by bringing in guys who are playing at other schools.
My belief is that the blue bloods are coming out on the better end of the deal.

If you look at the teams that are serious contenders for the CFP, it is largely the same set of schools every year. Mostly the Top 10 schools in terms of revenue. There is the odd school year to year, but nothing that suggests that it is becoming a more even playing field. If anything, the field appears to be tipping to the highest revenue schools.
I agree.The BIGS will attract not only the stars from "lesser" schools (as we know too well) but sometimes even just unhappy guys ,er--(underpaid ) guys from any school.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
I don't think that there is any question that this is the correct take. The elite factories are getting whoever they want and the rest are getting shafted with former 4 and 5 stars that became busts. The gulf is therefore becoming ever wider between the elite dozen or so teams and the also rans. IIWII
I wonder if we agree?

It depends on if we agree on:
-What "elite" is
-What "the rest" is
-How big "the gulf" was/is/will be
-How much "wider" is

...& as always It is indeed what it is.

I think portal will

-marginalize elites (hurt their depth)
-help the rest (get needed [targeted] talent more quickly)
-help the gulf be less wide (but that will always exist)

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I wonder if we agree?

It depends on if we agree on:
-What "elite" is
-What "the rest" is
-How big "the gulf" was/is/will be
-How much "wider" is

...& as always It is indeed what it is.

I think portal will

-marginalize elites (hurt their depth)
-help the rest (get needed [targeted] talent more quickly)
-help the gulf be less wide (but that will always exist)
I don't think we agree on anything if the idea of the dozen or so elites is questionable by you. The answers are more than apparent and not subject to word parsing. The portal benefits the elite factories and no one else. We get crumbs off the tables of our betters and they pick and choose the very best players for hire. Seems simple to me.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't think we agree on anything if the idea of the dozen or so elites is questionable by you. The answers are more than apparent and not subject to word parsing. The portal benefits the elite factories and no one else. We get crumbs off the tables of our betters and they pick and choose the very best players for hire. Seems simple to me.
what transfer with no waiting period has made recruiting players the next advantage for top programs with big NIL money. Since the NCAA is so powerless they will never intervene on obvious violations by some coaches to openly recruit. I do think we get some advantages on inbound transfer but not close to what we lose. Our transfer are generally players who were rated high from high school but had limited playing time. The exception to this is grad transfers. Our top outbound transfer have normally had significant success at the college level

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
It's not more than apparent to me. Portal works both ways. I don't see only "crumbs" ...some useful talent will come faster to the non-elites.

There were elites before this new age of the portal ... & I agree they'll exist now too.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
IMO, the portal has HELPED GT more than it's hurt us. Yes, we've lost some key pieces over the years (Gibbs to 'Bama, Brown to USCe, McCollum to UNC, Ivey to Ole Miss, Domineck to Arkansas, etc.), but the net result has been positive for GT (White from ODU, King from TAMU, Blalock from UGA, Seither from UGA, Scott from USCe, Eley from Maryland, Harvey from Auburn, Scaglione from Princeton, etc.). Are we 6-5 and eligible for a bowl without the guys listed currently on the roster? You can make the argument that King has been the best passing QB at GT since the Godsey/Hamilton era and one of the biggest reasons GT has had success this year.

Overall, the portal is what you make of it. Did the rich get richer? Yes to a degree. You can only play so many QBs, WRs, OLs, DLs, DBs at one time. Guys like King/Seither/Scott/Harvey/Blalock would most likely have been sitting behind other players this year. Instead, they're at GT playing starter minutes and helping turn around a program. IMO, what you'll start seeing is "middle of the road" P5 programs like GT start becoming better and moving up from their "tier".

I don't think we've seen the full affects of NIL and the Portal yet. So far it's been a net positive for GT, and there's potential for GT to be a better program is we leverage NIL/Portal the correct way.

slugboy

Staff member
I think we’re roughly even on the portal. We lost multiple key players on our defensive line this year.
247 rated us high in the portal score this offseason—they’re almost all 3* players, and it’s a lot. King was a big win, there were multiple offensive contributors added, and Moala has contributed, but we lost people we were counting on to lead on the defensive side of the ball.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
We were decimated in D by the portal. Losing Domineck, Walton, Scott, and Stone to the portal hurt badly. That’s a starting LB, CB, and two DL. We got some good players incoming, but we didn’t win that one. Too many players at positions of great need there.
Losing Gibbs hurt, but he was gone anyway. Beyond him, losing McCollum hurt, but we had some depth at the position and picked up some good new pieces. Cooley hasn’t given is much at RB, either. Where we scored big was QB, but Pyron might have been a good starter, too. King does give him a couple years to grow, though. Net plus there.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
We were decimated in D by the portal. Losing Domineck, Walton, Scott, and Stone to the portal hurt badly. That’s a starting LB, CB, and two DL. We got some good players incoming, but we didn’t win that one. Too many players at positions of great need there.
Losing Gibbs hurt, but he was gone anyway. Beyond him, losing McCollum hurt, but we had some depth at the position and picked up some good new pieces. Cooley hasn’t given is much at RB, either. Where we scored big was QB, but Pyron might have been a good starter, too. King does give him a couple years to grow, though. Net plus there.
What are the odds that Pyron sticks around waiting?

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
What are the odds that Pyron sticks around waiting?
There is no formula. Every college kid has different priorities and decision matrices.

Some simply want PT or part of "something"
Some DO think about the "degree"
Some seek location/school atmosphere
Some seek a ring/championship (don't worry about hitting field)
Some want to be close to home (or in a specific program)

... we seem to project what we would do onto kids without considering other possibilities.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
If King improves next fall as a JR, he may declare for the draft. Pyron would be a r-JR and start for 2 years, same as being behind Sims.
He’s going to have to improve his INT issues a LOT to get a sniff at the NFL, I don’t think him leaving early is realistic

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
There is no formula. Every college kid has different priorities and decision matrices.

Some simply want PT or part of "something"
Some DO think about the "degree"
Some seek location/school atmosphere
Some seek a ring/championship (don't worry about hitting field)
Some want to be close to home (or in a specific program)

... we seem to project what we would do onto kids without considering other possibilities.
I want to play, I think the BSME is a great degree, loved being in GA, close to home, Championships has a nice ring. I just wish I was young and good at football......
Charlie Brown Football GIF

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
For most of college football, this is absolutely critical. Having depth is one thing, but only the factories can truly be “next man up.” For everyone else, losing your first string anything is a significant setback. Losing a stud QB is nearly catastrophic unless you’re tOSU, Bama, UGA, etc.
FSU is definitely building, but as good as they look, they aren’t to the point where they will overcome the loss of Travis. I’ll be very impressed if they win the next two.
Point being, the health of our O can’t be overemphasized in discussing their success this season… and dear Lord, please everyone healthy for two more!
Just to stick a pin in this, FSU beating even a mediocre Florida team when they are clearly rattled without their star quarterback, was a testimony to their depth at other positions. Their game against Louisville will be a different story since it’s clear after the Kentucky game that Louisville has been prepping for FSU.