ACC Standings

Techster

Helluva Engineer
iirc, we beat Duke handily last year. (Yes, I recall that it went into OT but that was a bit fluky, we were in control throughout that game) When we have more talent and controlled the game LAST YEAR against someone it is hard for me to be overly impressed by them or take them seriously as an ACC contender.

Let's give them 3 or 4 more games before anointing them into that spot.

Duke lost 4 games by a total of 15 point last season. They lost three games by a total of 8 points. Are they going to win the ACC? Most likely not, but Duke is the real deal with all the ingredients (Good in the trenches, High level QB, good DBs, above average skill guys, good coaching) to be in the conversation in the ACC. Maybe Clemson is actually good, but Duke made them look bad.

I know people want to crap on Duke because it's "Duke football", but that's a pretty superficial way to look at things. You're right, it's early, but Duke right now looks to at least be one of the top 3 teams in the ACC. We'll see how it plays out though. Hopefully GT beats Duke again.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
Duke lost 4 games by a total of 15 point last season. They lost three games by a total of 8 points. Are they going to win the ACC? Most likely not, but Duke is the real deal with all the ingredients (Good in the trenches, High level QB, good DBs, above average skill guys, good coaching) to be in the conversation in the ACC. Maybe Clemson is actually good, but Duke made them look bad.

I know people want to crap on Duke because it's "Duke football", but that's a pretty superficial way to look at things. You're right, it's early, but Duke right now looks to at least be one of the top 3 teams in the ACC. We'll see how it plays out though. Hopefully GT beats Duke again.

Duke is absolutely not the Carl Framks-Ted Roof Duke.

It does piss me off that they've played Clemson 3 times the past 15 years while we are 15 for 15.

colton

Georgia Tech Fan
If we add one more team to the ACC (ND?), we can switch to 9 team divisions w/ round robin which would be fantastic from a competitive landscape point of view.
Literally anything would be better than what we have now, where we lose our 90+ year dook streak and the Techmo Bowl to Louisville (who we have played twice before Friday) and Wake Forest (a school we have nothing against beyond conference opponents).

TooTall

Helluva Engineer

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer

"...but Duke right now looks to be one of the top 3 teams in the ACC." Sacrilege. What is the world coming to? If this is not a sign of the end times I don't know what is. After a review of the game, I agree with you. Duke has a fine football team and boy howdy, were they ready to play.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
It seems like it is just me, but I did not leave the Duke/Clemson game thinking Duke was really good. Clemson moved the ball almost at will. Duke played a pretty "bend and don't break" defense, and Clemson decided to gift them unearned turnovers. I thought the Clemson defense looks to have taken a step back, but despite that, Duke didn't do much until the 4th quarter off the fumble turnover at which point Clemson quit.

I feel like the takeaways were more that Clemson has trouble in paradise more than Duke is special. Still 11 more games for me to be proven wrong though.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
It seems like it is just me, but I did not leave the Duke/Clemson game thinking Duke was really good. Clemson moved the ball almost at will. Duke played a pretty "bend and don't break" defense, and Clemson decided to gift them unearned turnovers. I thought the Clemson defense looks to have taken a step back, but despite that, Duke didn't do much until the 4th quarter off the fumble turnover at which point Clemson quit.

I feel like the takeaways were more that Clemson has trouble in paradise more than Duke is special. Still 11 more games for me to be proven wrong though.
That’s fair. And this early in the season who knows?

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
That's a good question. One advantage coaching Duke football is there is zero pressure/ Depending on how much he is paid he may like that setup. If Duke has another 9 win season he can afford to be very choosey about any offers he may get. Of course if he does not have a QB of Leonard's quality coming in then he may opt to leave sooner.
Also zero chance of ever accomplishing anything, I think Florida or A&M will snag him in a year or two

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
If Clemson doesn't fumble twice and punches those two in for TDs and hits the missed FG, Duke loses by double digits. I fully expect Clemson to clean that crap up and be a top team in the Nation. I think last night was a wake-up call to a Clemson team that felt they could sleep-walk through their schedule. Now, the coaches will have their attention. It wouldn't surprise me if they didn't lose another game for the rest of the regular season.
I mean you can say Ifs and Buts about almost any team in the country that lost their game last wknd.....

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
Clemson has been known to sleepwalk a bit much lately - GT in 2021 was given every opportunity to have a win like this - so I definitely think they aren't at national champion level, but I'm not gonna write them off or get on the Duke train too much just yet. Duke could be that good - they closed the deal resoundingly, unlike a lot of others that Clemson has given room recently - but it could also be one of those days.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Literally anything would be better than what we have now, where we lose our 90+ year dook streak and the Techmo Bowl to Louisville (who we have played twice before Friday) and Wake Forest (a school we have nothing against beyond conference opponents).
Haven't you figured it out that GT has no real influence or prestige in the ACC. Not sure we ever have since joining. How many ACCT played in Atlanta since Cremins? Open dates before the flexbone. The league has always favored UNC with former player,AD, Swafford and several UNC grads working in the Greensboro office. That may change with a move to Charlotte but that move included that ACC football and several ACCT championships will be played in Charlotte. Greensboro was like a home game for UNC. Charlotte about the same.

colton

Georgia Tech Fan
Haven't you figured it out that GT has no real influence or prestige in the ACC. Not sure we ever have since joining. How many ACCT played in Atlanta since Cremins? Open dates before the flexbone. The league has always favored UNC with former player,AD, Swafford and several UNC grads working in the Greensboro office. That may change with a move to Charlotte but that move included that ACC football and several ACCT championships will be played in Charlotte. Greensboro was like a home game for UNC. Charlotte about the same.
True. That being said, it's crazy how only 3 years of TFG totally changed the perspective of GT in the conference and even national scale. I'm not saying we were a stellar team post 1990, but a bowl game streak of some 20 years and some all-time studs all for nothing.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer

Their schedule last year was ridiculously easy. I think we could have had a winning record if we played their schedule. They did NOT play FSU or Clemson, and their non conference games were against North Carolina A&T, Kansas, Temple and Northwestern. That's hardly Ole Miss and UGa caliber. I'll give them credit for beating Miami, but overall, I am not yet willing to anoint them as an ACC powerhouse.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Their schedule last year was ridiculously easy. I think we could have had a winning record if we played their schedule. They did NOT play FSU or Clemson, and their non conference games were against North Carolina A&T, Kansas, Temple and Northwestern. That's hardly Ole Miss and UGa caliber. I'll give them credit for beating Miami, but overall, I am not yet willing to anoint them as an ACC powerhouse.

No one is anointing them a powerhouse. But to argue they're not one of the better teams in the ACC is your opinion. You know what they say about opinions...they're like @ssholes, everyone has one. Right now they're sitting there at 1-0 in the ACC with a top 10 win.

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck
True. That being said, it's crazy how only 3 years of TFG totally changed the perspective of GT in the conference and even national scale. I'm not saying we were a stellar team post 1990, but a bowl game streak of some 20 years and some all-time studs all for nothing.
cant believe I'm gonna defend gee-off here but he's not the one that ended Tech's bowl streak. that was unfortunately CPJ. and I still rather have had CPJ over gee-off. now i need to go take a shower for defending that guy