ACC Standings

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I mean you can say Ifs and Buts about almost any team in the country that lost their game last wknd.....
I hear you. But…

…I think Clemson made more mistakes than anyone else in the country. 3 missed chip-shots and two fumbles inside the 10 yard line. 4 of those 5 had ZERO to do with Duke.

Those are simple corrections that would have flipped that game on its head. This is taking nothing away from Duke. They went out and got it done.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
The guys who transferred out are non contributors. Look at the guys who transferred all but DJ aren’t even starting at their current school

That still affects depth. 2 guys in exchange for 31? They could certainly bring more than 2 guys in from the portal if they wanted.

Also, you guys are acting like this is one game. This has been Clemson for the last two seasons. They are done being one of the four or five elite programs unless Dabo wakes up.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
That still affects depth. 2 guys in exchange for 31? They could certainly bring more than 2 guys in from the portal if they wanted.

Also, you guys are acting like this is one game. This has been Clemson for the last two seasons. They are done being one of the four or five elite programs unless Dabo wakes up.

The WR at FSU that was tearing up LSU? I read he wanted to go to Clemson but Dabo didn't want to pay anyone NIL $$$ so he went to FSU. You think Clemson could have used him?

colton

Georgia Tech Fan
cant believe I'm gonna defend gee-off here but he's not the one that ended Tech's bowl streak. that was unfortunately CPJ. and I still rather have had CPJ over gee-off. now i need to go take a shower for defending that guy
Ah, did not realize that. Either way, winning 10 games over 4 years is abysmally awful. We still haven't been to a bowl since CPJ retired. Hopefully that will change this year.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I hear you. But…

…I think Clemson made more mistakes than anyone else in the country. 3 missed chip-shots and two fumbles inside the 10 yard line. 4 of those 5 had ZERO to do with Duke.

Those are simple corrections that would have flipped that game on its head. This is taking nothing away from Duke. They went out and got it done.
Side note to this….if Tech missed 3 chip-shots and fumbled twice inside the 10 yard line many would be ranting about how horrible we are as a team and that the coach’s seat is hot. We would say that about a lot less than that.

Nothing to do with nothing but just interesting in the context of “Is Duke really that good vs Clemson is a disaster right now.”

WraleighWreck

Georgia Tech Fan
Rewatched the duke Clem game last night. Duke is a solid disciplined team but they are not world beaters and play a very tough schedule this season. Several of the playmakers they have now are transfers. If they win 8 regular season games, that will prove to me that they are truly good. Clemson is not a bad team. They moved the ball pretty well but caused their own problems in red zone. I think they clean things up and win 9 this season. But if Clemson wants to get back in playoff hunt, they need to play the transfer and nil game just like all the other big boys.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Rewatched the duke Clem game last night. Duke is a solid disciplined team but they are not world beaters and play a very tough schedule this season. Several of the playmakers they have now are transfers. If they win 8 regular season games, that will prove to me that they are truly good. Clemson is not a bad team. They moved the ball pretty well but caused their own problems in red zone. I think they clean things up and win 9 this season. But if Clemson wants to get back in playoff hunt, they need to play the transfer and nil game just like all the other big boys.
I agree 100% with this.
Clemson is still more talented than most teams in the country, but they no longer have Top 5 type talent.
Also, until the hire of Riley he has largely been promoting coaches from within instead of bringing in strong outside candidates and I believe that has negatively affected their coaching level.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
CBSSports 133 (Ironically there are 134 teams in the rankings)

Looking at ACC teams (current and future)

#4 FSU (up 4)
#10 ND (up 5 - yes I know they are not a football member but still worth keeping an eye on since they play alot of ACC games)
#18 UNC (up 2)
#22 Duke (up 21)
#25 Clemson (Down 16)
#31 Pitt (up 1)
#33 Louisville (up 1)
#34 Miami (up 3)
#37 NC St (up 3)
#50 Wake (no change)
#51 Syracuse (up 5)
#55 SMU (down 2)
#60 Cal (up 1)
#72 GT (up 2)
#81 VT (up 3)
#91 UVA (down 2)
#92 Stanford (up 5)
#94 BC (down 15)

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I have finally come to accept that the single biggest factor in a team’s eventual standing in a poll is scheduling plus preseason expectations by the pundits.

Scheduling, to me, points to the following things nationally.

There is no reason now to expect either FSU or UGA to budge from their current spots until November.

At least one or more of Notre Dame, Ohio State and Penn State will be knocked out of the playoffs between Sept and October, with not enough time to make up lost ground.

If Alabama gets their act together they are set up to jump right back into playoff position by early October.

If Tennessee gets by Alabama then the
Nov 18 game in Knoxville with uga will be like an unpleasant trip to the vet for a certain canine. But uga could still make the playoffs because of polls and expectations.

USC cannot afford to lose a single game. Texas would only be slightly better off if they should lose a game.

Thanks for posting this!

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
And if the ACC power rankings are to be believed, Tech will indeed have a hard time winning more than four games. This coming from a guy who predicted 7 wins.

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
I agree 100% with this.
Clemson is still more talented than most teams in the country, but they no longer have Top 5 type talent.
Also, until the hire of Riley he has largely been promoting coaches from within instead of bringing in strong outside candidates and I believe that has negatively affected their coaching level.
I think it boils down to the fact that Clemson is full of 4 and 5 start talent but because they don't use the portal those 4 and 5 stars are 18 and 19 year olds. Whereas teams like Ohio State and UGA that are heavy portal users are getting 4 and 5 stars that are 20 and 21 year olds that have matured physically and have more college level experience.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
I have finally come to accept that the single biggest factor in a team’s eventual standing in a poll is scheduling plus preseason expectations by the pundits.

There is no reason now to expect either FSU or UGA to budge from their current spots until November.

At least one or more of Notre Dame, Ohio State and Penn State will be knocked out of the playoffs between Sept and October, with not enough time to make up lost ground.

If Alabama gets their act together they are set up to jump right back into playoff position by early October.

Nov 18 game in Knoxville with uga will be like an unpleasant trip to the vet for a certain canine. But uga could still make the playoffs because of polls and expectations.

USC cannot afford to lose a single game. Texas would only be slightly better off if they should lose a game.

Thanks for posting this!
First point: spot on. Since the same people who made the preseason polls continue making the weekly polls, they tend to be slow to admit mistakes. Results are “flukes” unless its something like we saw in Tuscaloosa this weekend.

I’m not sure anyone can be “comfortable” with a loss, unless they get a shot to avenge it in a conference championship. I can see this benefitting an FSU or a UGAg more than others. Even if those two trip up, it seems pretty unlikely that anyone in the SEC East or the ACC will run the table and knock either of them out of the conference champ game.

At least Penn St / OSU / Mich all play one another… depending on how things fall, how wild would it be for all of them to have one loss and it actually benefit the team that loses out on the conf champ game?

Last edited:

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer

Thanks for posting this!
I just don’t think Tenn is built right to beat uga, I hope to God that i’m wrong, maybe they can win in a shootout but uga crushed their offense last year

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

GT up 5 spots to 67

GT Schedule
#27 L'ville
#18 Ole Miss
#49 Wake
#119 Bowling Green
#22 Miami
#102 BC
#21 UNC