ACC office may leave Greensboro

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
Easy guys, we get you love NC. And I'm sure Greensboro is a lovely place. Although I lived most of my life in the ATL area, I've moved to the GA coast because ATL is too crazy busy anymore. I'd likely prefer living in Greensboro (or one of the 'Villes...Greensville, Huntsville, Knoxville) to Atlanta to be honest.

But having an HQ for the conference in Greensboro just doesn't make sense from an access standpoint and it does present a bit of a 'country bumpkin' image to most of the media elites who are almost always urban. When image is everything (this is entertainment, after all), being in a major metro should be a major consideration.

But I stand by my admiration for the "one big Buford Highway" image...it may not be true but it paints a definite picture of ugly suburban sprawl.
I'm an hour away in the Triangle but yeah Burlington, Greensboro, High Point, Winston-Salem is like one never ending strip mall after another. And I don't think it's a bad place to live at all except for Burlington - Alamance County is crazy town.

Charlotte and Atlanta are the two obvious candidates where ACC HQ should be located.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
Easy guys, we get you love NC. And I'm sure Greensboro is a lovely place. Although I lived most of my life in the ATL area, I've moved to the GA coast because ATL is too crazy busy anymore. I'd likely prefer living in Greensboro (or one of the 'Villes...Greensville, Huntsville, Knoxville) to Atlanta to be honest.

But having an HQ for the conference in Greensboro just doesn't make sense from an access standpoint and it does present a bit of a 'country bumpkin' image to most of the media elites who are almost always urban. When image is everything (this is entertainment, after all), being in a major metro should be a major consideration.

But I stand by my admiration for the "one big Buford Highway" image...it may not be true but it paints a definite picture of ugly suburban sprawl.
Haven’t seen anyone arguing that the office should stay in Greensboro, just pushback on some of the ignorant comments.

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
Atlanta area, the Georgia International Convention Center at College Park. Reps from other schools could easily fly into Atlanta and take the Skytram to the ACC offices. Massive car rental locations to. Fly in for meetings and return home quickly. No traffic, no beggars, no drive-by shootings.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Atlanta area, the Georgia International Convention Center at College Park. Reps from other schools could easily fly into Atlanta and take the Skytram to the ACC offices. Massive car rental locations to. Fly in for meetings and return home quickly. No traffic, no beggars, no drive-by shootings.
Might need to strike that last one.........

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Haven’t seen anyone arguing that the office should stay in Greensboro, just pushback on some of the ignorant comments.
Other than wanting to change the meme that the ACC is same old NC centered conference, I am not aware of any pressing need to move the conference offices out of GSO. The conference center is now closer to Philadelphia than Atlanta.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
I am not aware of any pressing need to move the conference offices out of GSO.

I don't know anything, just speculating. But I wonder if the Phillips is battling some 'this is the way we've always done it' thinking in the office and is considering a move to break that culture to get a more competitive mindset. Let's be honest, the ACC has been out-maneuvered and made more mistakes than smart moves in the past 10 years. We signed what is widely recognized as the worst TV deal in the P5. And anyone who doesn't think the ACC is NC-biased must live there. :)

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I don't know anything, just speculating. But I wonder if the Phillips is battling some 'this is the way we've always done it' thinking in the office and is considering a move to break that culture to get a more competitive mindset. Let's be honest, the ACC has been out-maneuvered and made more mistakes than smart moves in the past 10 years. We signed what is widely recognized as the worst TV deal in the P5. And anyone who doesn't think the ACC is NC-biased must live there. :)
Being close to Turner would be cool too if we do shop around other tv deals in the future.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Not to rain on anyone's parade but Charlotte matches that criteria pretty well, has a very large banking presence (much larger than Atlanta) and might be more willing to 'financial considerations related to operational expenses" - which is just fancy writing for how much is the city willing to pay the ACC to move there.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I would not discount the RTP area either. Good airport location and lots of job growth. It still doesn't come close to what Atlanta offers but with 4 ACC schools within 75 miles it could be a logical choice. Atlanta is still the most logical choice and I live in the RTP area. Atlanta provides a lot more media exposure and is an internationally recognized city. Charlotte is the other viable choice but no ACC school located there. Good airport and growing population . Not as much interest in college sports there as Atlanta. I suspect the ACC office is also fishing for financial deals to relocate.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I would not discount the RTP area either. Good airport location and lots of job growth. It still doesn't come close to what Atlanta offers but with 4 ACC schools within 75 miles it could be a logical choice. Atlanta is still the most logical choice and I live in the RTP area. Atlanta provides a lot more media exposure and is an internationally recognized city. Charlotte is the other viable choice but no ACC school located there. Good airport and growing population . Not as much interest in college sports there as Atlanta. I suspect the ACC office is also fishing for financial deals to relocate.
If the ACC was really interested in the biggest splashiest media savvy big bucks location transportation capital of the world they would go with New York City.

No one needs to respond to that comment because we all know that is not going to happen. I’m just pointing out the hypocrisy of their criteria given the fact that the fix is already in and the North Carolina mafia will get its way.

But Atlanta is the college football capital of the South. Not choosing Atlanta because you believe 100 years from now Charlotte will catch up is just parochial small time thinking.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
If the ACC office were to move from Greensboro then they would likely lose a lot of their current staff and would need to hire a lot of new people. I am not sure what percentage are currently NC natives but I suspect a very high percentage. Swofford probably brought some UNC alums with him who may also be retiring. A big move would really change the ACC office culture.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
If the ACC was really interested in the biggest splashiest media savvy big bucks location transportation capital of the world they would go with New York City.

No one needs to respond to that comment because we all know that is not going to happen. I’m just pointing out the hypocrisy of their criteria given the fact that the fix is already in and the North Carolina mafia will get its way.

But Atlanta is the college football capital of the South. Not choosing Atlanta because you believe 100 years from now Charlotte will catch up is just parochial small time thinking.
I wouldn’t be so sure of that. Phillips is no NC patsy, so if he has the backing of the other schools, those North Carolina schools might be outnumbered.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
If the ACC office were to move from Greensboro then they would likely lose a lot of their current staff and would need to hire a lot of new people. I am not sure what percentage are currently NC natives but I suspect a very high percentage. Swofford probably brought some UNC alums with him who may also be retiring. A big move would really change the ACC office culture.
And that might be a big part of the reason why it’s being talked about.