ACC office may leave Greensboro

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Charlotte, Orlando, NYC were the three cities in the end. Atlanta wasn’t interested. Greensboro it the first offer that gets a hat at the table but no chance.

My bet was always Charlotte. It makes the most sense after Atlanta.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
The ACC has a nice office and campus in Greensboro and staff that lives in the area. I wonder if they still own the property.

My bet was always Charlotte. It makes the most sense after Atlanta.

You may be right, but why move 1 hour down I-85 when you have a nice location in GSO. The NC detractors, like Jim Boeheim, might discover that Charlotte is also in NC. My guess is that the move is about changing that NC centered perception. Charlotte does nothing for that. Look for the move to be postponed if it's not Orlando. And, don't forget, the State of NC is offering $15 million for the ACC to stay in NC. That includes staying in Greensboro.

slugboy

Staff member
There’s a lot more traffic in CLT than Greensboro. It’s easier to fly in and out, but other than that I’m not sure this move does for the ACC staff or the ACC in general. Maybe you’re better plugged into things outside of the conference?

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
ACC - Greensboro
SEC - Birmingham
B1G - Chicago (Rosemont)
Big 12 - Dallas (Irving)
PAC-12 - San Francisco

These all make sense to the members except the ACC location. I am not sure Charlotte helps, but I am also not sure what the ACC is looking for.

What do all these locations have in common? Except for Chicago, none has a member school. One could argue the having Northwestern in the suburbs isn't really a factor.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Silly question, but what difference does it make where the office is?
I was thinking the same thing. You could leave all the staff in Greensboro and put an executive office pretty much anywhere you wanted. Especially with all the video conferencing tools we have today.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Silly question, but what difference does it make where the office is?
It would be interesting to see a pie chart of what colleges/regions today's employees of the ACC office came from.

First five below Jim Philips:
  1. Clemson grad (native of Michigan)
  2. Northwestern/UNC-G grad (prior to joining ACC, was a sports producer from Greensboro for 13 yrs)
  3. East Carolina grad (spent time as producer for 3 NC news stations)
  4. Western Illinois grad
  5. UNC grad (previously part of UNC's athletic association)
What I see at a glance is a regional bias in hiring, which is normal for most companies.

Folks can make inferences about decision-making biases from there.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
ACC - Greensboro
SEC - Birmingham
B1G - Chicago (Rosemont)
Big 12 - Dallas (Irving)
PAC-12 - San Francisco

These all make sense to the members except the ACC location. I am not sure Charlotte helps, but I am also not sure what the ACC is looking for.

What do all these locations have in common? Except for Chicago, none has a member school. One could argue the having Northwestern in the suburbs isn't really a factor.
I would have preferred either Atlanta or New York for reasons I’ve mentioned many times in the past. But we may forever be stuck with NC due to history and tradition.

GT flunkout

Jolly Good Fellow
Charlotte is the center of the conference, traditionally, historically, geographically. Charlotte is a decent size city with easy air access (American hub city), two big advantages over Greensboro. The ACC owns Charlotte and the whole state of NC. It just makes sense.

HurricaneJacket

Helluva Engineer
ACC - Greensboro
SEC - Birmingham
B1G - Chicago (Rosemont)
Big 12 - Dallas (Irving)
PAC-12 - San Francisco

What do all these locations have in common? Except for Chicago, none has a member school. One could argue the having Northwestern in the suburbs isn't
ACC - Greensboro
SEC - Birmingham
B1G - Chicago (Rosemont)
Big 12 - Dallas (Irving)
PAC-12 - San Francisco

Pac has 2 schools in the bay area (cal and Stanford) BIG has northwestern in Chi suburbs. TCU is in the Dallas metro. SEC and ACC are the only 2 P5 without teams in the same metro region as their offices.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I was thinking the same thing. You could leave all the staff in Greensboro and put an executive office pretty much anywhere you wanted. Especially with all the video conferencing tools we have today.
The ACC office was shopping locations for tax breaks and money. NC location requires 4 MBB championship games , 4 WBB championship games , and 4 baseball championships be played in NC within the first 10 years according to the Durham newspaper.Georgia wasn't interested in any financial incentives for the ACC. Florida may still be in play but now it's probably Greensboro or Charlotte. The people in the ACC offices are pro UNC and having championship games in NC helps give them home advantages . The state legislature has $15M in the budget if they stay in NC.

bhoffman123

Georgia Tech Fan
There is some marketing value when you have a big Conference office sign on the side of a busy Chicago interstate where heavy traffic sees you daily.

1656611174771.png

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
The ACC office was shopping locations for tax breaks and money. NC location requires 4 MBB championship games , 4 WBB championship games , and 4 baseball championships be played in NC within the first 10 years according to the Durham newspaper.Georgia wasn't interested in any financial incentives for the ACC. Florida may still be in play but now it's probably Greensboro or Charlotte. The people in the ACC offices are pro UNC and having championship games in NC helps give them home advantages . The state legislature has $15M in the budget if they stay in NC.
It occurred to me with your post that the ACC was playing the legislature. This legislature has been played before.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
It occurred to me with your post that the ACC was playing the legislature. This legislature has been played before.
Based on the article in this morning Durham paper. Money talks but keeping those championship games in NC generates a lot of revenue.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Maybe the current location required a long-term lease and they know the ACC won’t be around until the end of the lease? 🤔

Nah, Nah. Just kidding. They probably own the facility.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Maybe the current location required a long-term lease and they know the ACC won’t be around until the end of the lease? 🤔

Nah, Nah. Just kidding. They probably own the facility.
GT fans think in terms of football. NC fans think more about basketball. They talk basketball year round like we talk football. UNC is already talking about winning the national championship in BB next year. The ACC built it's reputation on basketball.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
GT fans think in terms of football. NC fans think more about basketball. They talk basketball year round like we talk football. UNC is already talking about winning the national championship in BB next year. The ACC built it's reputation on basketball.
I agree with this. But, isn't it odd that the ACC is no longer considered the premier hoops conference it once was. Duke & UNC are still near the top, but the conference as a whole is weaker.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I agree with this. But, isn't it odd that the ACC is no longer considered the premier hoops conference it once was. Duke & UNC are still near the top, but the conference as a whole is weaker.
SEC has come on recently in BB but several Big East schools got pulled into the ACC and they were right up there in BB as a conference. I actually think ND coming in as a full member would help the FB image immensely.
The ACC has historically had more national status as a BB conference. FB is where TV money is. Hasn't been that long ago that Jefferson Pilot was the ACC tv producer.
I just hope the ACC can survive this NIL stuff and realignments.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
That's fine. They could do that and still have executive offices anywhere they want.