ACC office may leave Greensboro

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Chicago :) I got tired of driving by the Big10 headquarters in Chicago every day.
where in Chicago is it? My daughter is there now and I'm getting pretty familiar with what's there in these past two years. We were there last week and may be spending a bit more time there in the future.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
The ACC office would be a Yawn in NYC. In ATL it would be a big deal. Put it on the Connector with a huge ACC sign on the side of the building and get tons of eyes on it daily. Talk about staking a claim vs the SEC! But honestly Charlotte is a good choice too. But I think national media exposure in ATL would be much greater.
If you want exposure on the Connector...I'd hate to stick our finger in Ga State's eye but right next door to their football practice field (and with an MLK, Jr Dr street address) is the building that has that big, tall smoke stack that Corey advertising rents out (they may even own it FAIK). Talk about a bunch of eyes on a sign daily.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
I think Charlotte is the logical place to put this...though since I live in the Atlanta area I would prefer it to be here. But with the SEC having their championship game in Atlanta (with a long-term commitment), there is no real shot for the ACC to get the championship here (unless it it played on Friday night), I think Charlotte is logical. It would still be a nice upgrade from Greensboro with a much bigger airport and a much bigger city. If he really wants to jumpstart football, getting it out of the mecca of College Basketball in RTP would be a solid move.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
where in Chicago is it? My daughter is there now and I'm getting pretty familiar with what's there in these past two years. We were there last week and may be spending a bit more time there in the future.
It is right next to Fogo de Chão on the east side of 294 in Rosemont. It's a nice-looking wooden building with a glass-enclosed conference room on the 3rd floor visible from the highway. You have to be going north on 294 to see it on your right.

bhoffman123

Georgia Tech Fan
It is in Rosemont right by the airport.

1630176727873.png

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I agree that Charlotte would be a good choice. Much better airport than Greensboro. Traffic in Charlotte is less than Atlanta unless you live on Lake Norman and have to drive I-77.
Atlanta is more of a college town with college hall of fame, P5 college FB fan interest, and other points of interest whereas Charlotte has become more pro oriented than college with not much else to do. ACC would get better media coverage in Atlanta. Put the ACC office near the college hall of fame for more exposure and drive the SEC fans crazy.
It’s just me but I am tired of North Carolina being the center of the ACC. Getting out of NC would help the ACC. I hate that the SEC has claimed Atlanta. We need to take back our city!

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Of the 8 original ACC members, 4 are in the state of NC. The only other original members still in the ACC are Clemson and UVA, which obviously border NC.

I doubt they move the conference headquarters too far away. The viable options I see are Charlotte, Raleigh, Atlanta, and DC. No particular order, and each of them has its flaws. I could be missing some bigger city, but I’m not sure the original members would let NYC/Boston/Philly fly as the ACC headquarters.

GT flunkout

Jolly Good Fellow
Charlotte is the closest major city to the geographic and cultural center of the conference. They rightfully put the conference football championship there. I don't like it but the ACC is overshadowed in Atlanta, and being here won't be a challenge, it will only magnify that unnecessarily. Better to put down deep roots in Charlotte and own it completely.

GSOJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
One of the original reasons for putting it in Greensboro, aside from its central location, was that it was considered a neutral site, in that it was not the hometown of any ACC member. Charlotte also meets that criterion. At the time Greensboro was chosen, it was roughly the same size as Charlotte and Raleigh. Not so much anymore. Selfishly I'd like to see the ACC stay put, but at this point I think Charlotte makes the most sense. (Full disclosure: I am a Greensboro resident who grew up in Charlotte.)

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Raleigh is a maybe. it has a decent airport and only pro team is hockey. It still is in the heart if Tobacco road teams. It is up and coming techno center but is not the international city that Atlanta is. The ACC needs to shed it's perceived NC influence.