ACC office may leave Greensboro

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
If the ACC is really serious about leaving GSO it's because of the perception of NC bias. Moving to Charlotte or Raleigh will not cure that problem. Atlanta would be a good location if access is high on the list of selection criteria. But it would be a terrible place for most of the worker bees that have a comfortably affordable small city environment in GSO.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Keep in mind alot of the groupthink going on in this thread is that the ACC wants to move to reduce the view of the 'NC mafia' perception. That may not be something they are concerned about at all. That's just us wishcasting that right now.

Ultimately my belief is it will go to whatever city is willing to pay the ACC the most to move there.

Papa Foxtrot

Jolly Good Fellow
If the ACC office were to move from Greensboro then they would likely lose a lot of their current staff and would need to hire a lot of new people. I am not sure what percentage are currently NC natives but I suspect a very high percentage. Swofford probably brought some UNC alums with him who may also be retiring. A big move would really change the ACC office culture.
There was some speculation on Packer & Durham this morning that "changing the culture" may be the motivation for moving. If so, I'm not sure that Charlotte or RTP is enough distance.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
There was some speculation on Packer & Durham this morning that "changing the culture" may be the motivation for moving. If so, I'm not sure that Charlotte or RTP is enough distance.
The most likely place would be near where a major airport is located or one with a large media presence. Seems to me Washington DC (or Baltimore) fit the bill, or perhaps Philly/NY. Richmond could also work as well. Atlanta works but ... unless there is a southern strategy, I don't think so. Charlotte probably makes the most sense, especially since ESPN TV studios are there.

acc-map-complete.png

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
If the boss cannot change the culture in his organization by changing the bodies in the seats, he is not going to be successful moving the seats. I wonder what part of the culture needs to change?

Papa Foxtrot

Jolly Good Fellow
If the boss cannot change the culture in his organization by changing the bodies in the seats, he is not going to be successful moving the seats. I wonder what part of the culture needs to change?
It's about money. If you move the location of the job and the existing staff(probably targeting the older, more entrenched ones) doesn't want to go along - then bye...

If the new venue ponies up a bunch of incentives, then win, win...

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Well he could buy some time by moving the deck chairs to the stern of the Titanic.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Just out of curiosity I called a colleague in GSO and asked how many people in the ACC office. The answer I got was "about 50, but some are out of the office a lot visiting schools and attending events."

Would a city pay to have 50 people relocate? What's the upside?

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Just out of curiosity I called a colleague in GSO and asked how many people in the ACC office. The answer I got was "about 50, but some are out of the office a lot visiting schools and attending events."

Are you asking would a city provide an incentive for them to relocate? Yes. The ACC distributed $500 million to member schools. Most states (and some cities) have economic development departments that do just that.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer

Not "pay", AOC, but have tax incentives or other beneficial perks for both parties. It's a shame to have empty floors in a midtown/downtown high rise, so rent breaks are a major possibility for the office & real estate for the commish. Security provided by city and county could be at a discounted rate. Lot of potential benefits a city will supply.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Not "pay", AOC, but have tax incentives or other beneficial perks for both parties. It's a shame to have empty floors in a midtown/downtown high rise, so rent breaks are a major possibility for the office & real estate for the commish. Security provided by city and county could be at a discounted rate. Lot of potential benefits a city will supply.
I understand your point, but they already have that in GSO. The office is located in an upscale office park with lots of free parking for employees and guests.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
I understand your point, but they already have that in GSO. The office is located in an upscale office park with lots of free parking for employees and guests.
The new commish is an outsider who has listened to all 15 members and has determined that the current location is under the influence of 2-3 schools and is looking to end the bias or appearance of bias. And lets be honest, Greensboro might be a decent city, but it has no pizzazz. If we want to get away from 2nd and 3rd rate commercials during our games, we have to be in a first rate city.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Did anyone consider the fact that Phillips may just not want to live in Greensboro. I have seen similar moves in the corporate world when senior management does not like the location of their office. Had one move our division HQ to London. Moved a bunch of people. New CEO came in and fired her. Moved them all back to the US after 6 months. It happens.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
If they move, I think Charlotte is the logical choice. I think the Commissioner will be able to change the staff significantly if he relocates regardless of whether it remains in NC. It still remains central geographically. In terms of no school being in Charlotte, the SEC does ok in Birmingham and there is no SEC school there. I do think a larger city makes sense and Charlotte does have a very large financial presence which has been mentioned before. I don't think they would ever attempt a move to Atlanta since it sits in the middle of SEC country and they play their football championship in Atlanta every year. DC would have been more logical if Maryland was still in the ACC but without them, I just don't see the play. Anything further in the Northeast (Philly, NY, Boston) is not very good geographically and college sports don't play well in the Northeast (at least in terms of football).

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
My buddy called me back to say the ACC has 42 employees. Total. They own the building and basically have every perk any city would be likely to pay a 42 employee company. The ACC is a 501(c)(3), so there is not much tax revenue to be gained.

The building next door to the ACC building is currently vacant and being offered for rent. While they could eventually sell their building, the market for commercial real estate is kinda flat right now.

My friend said the word around GSO is that the new commish wanted to confirm that GSO was the best place for the HQ and this is the process he initiated for that to happen. He questions whether Phillips has "determined that the current location is under the influence of 2-3 schools and is looking to end the bias or appearance of bias." The ACC Board of Directors is chaired by the Duke President. The Vice Chair is the Louisville President. If there is bias, or even a hint of it, there are much easier ways to deal with that problem than relocating the entire HQ and staff to another city.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Keep in mind alot of the groupthink going on in this thread is that the ACC wants to move to reduce the view of the 'NC mafia' perception. That may not be something they are concerned about at all. That's just us wishcasting that right now.

Ultimately my belief is it will go to whatever city is willing to pay the ACC the most to move there.
There is definitely fire where we see that smoke.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member

North Carolina would give the Atlantic Coast Conference $15 million if it keeps its headquarters in North Carolina, likely in a move to Charlotte, for at least the next 15 years and stages a number of postseason events in the state over the next decade under a Republican budget proposal released Tuesday night.

The legislation is a compromise between House and Senate lawmakers. It must still pass each chamber and be signed by Gov. Roy Cooper. The bill is agnostic as to where in the state the headquarters must be located to qualify. Rep. Jason Saine, a Lincoln County Republican and chairman of the House Appropriations Committee, confirmed Tuesday that the section of the bill applies to a new Charlotte headquarters.