ACC office may leave Greensboro

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Local newspaper in Durham reporting they may move the ACC headquarters. I would think Charlotte but Atlanta would be better IMHO for better national exposure.
I could see them moving to Atlanta or even better Chicago! This smells like a Jim Phillips move. In order to get out from under the NC Mafia, you have to move out of their neighborhood.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
First reported by the Richmond Times-Dispatch
That appraisal is part of what new ACC commissioner Jim Phillips calls “a holistic and transparent review” of the league’s structure, which the conference has outsourced to a pair of consulting groups.

Newmark, a Texas-based real estate advisory firm, is evaluating the ACC’s location. Former Power Five commissioners Kevin Weiberg (Big 12) and Jim Delany (Big Ten) are assessing matters such as governance, budgets, staffing, revenue generation and branding.

The two consulting teams are working simultaneously, meeting with staff members, campus leadership and Greensboro officials (Newmark only). Phillips expects their recommendations by mid-November.
“Should [conference headquarters] be aligned with media opportunities?” Phillips said. “Should it be aligned with Fortune 100, 200, 500 companies? Should it be aligned with corporate sponsorship opportunities? Should it be aligned with a city that could host championships or does host championships? …

“That’s what needs to be looked at. Are we leaving some money out there? Are we leaving some branding out there? Are we leaving some exposure out there? … In the end, we have to do what’s best for the conference.”

bhoffman123

Georgia Tech Fan
I could see them moving to Atlanta or even better Chicago! This smells like a Jim Phillips move. In order to get out from under the NC Mafia, you have to move out of their neighborhood.
Chicago :) I got tired of driving by the Big10 headquarters in Chicago every day.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I could see Charlotte as a viable option. It's not run by the NC Mafia as much as Research Triangle (and Greensboro by association), yet it's still somewhat centrally located. Atlanta is centrally located too geographically. Greensboro is 11 hours and 36 minutes from the University of Miami and 11 hours and 46 minutes from Boston University. Weird.

I'd prefer Atlanta. Much better City for college football. Plus, that's where the College Hall of Fame is. Perfect location. They could be in mid-town, just across the 5th Street Bridge.

gville_jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Atlanta or Charlotte are the only 2 real options. DC, Philadelphia, and NYC if they want to get crazy with it, which I don’t see happening
I just don’t see DC, Philly or Baltimore as good fits. NYC could be interesting. I just hope they pick like Richmond VA or something. I think Atlanta and Charlotte are logical choices.

NorthAvenueNation

Jolly Good Fellow
I’m a Jackets fan that has lived in Greensboro for the last 15 years and grew up in Charlotte. Being in GSO is great for the local market, especially when the tourney comes to town. However, Charlotte makes the most sense to me, always has. Major airport, large arenas for tournaments and the traffic isn’t as bad as ATL or NYC lol

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I agree that Charlotte would be a good choice. Much better airport than Greensboro. Traffic in Charlotte is less than Atlanta unless you live on Lake Norman and have to drive I-77.
Atlanta is more of a college town with college hall of fame, P5 college FB fan interest, and other points of interest whereas Charlotte has become more pro oriented than college with not much else to do. ACC would get better media coverage in Atlanta. Put the ACC office near the college hall of fame for more exposure and drive the SEC fans crazy.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
The ACC office would be a Yawn in NYC. In ATL it would be a big deal. Put it on the Connector with a huge ACC sign on the side of the building and get tons of eyes on it daily. Talk about staking a claim vs the SEC! But honestly Charlotte is a good choice too. But I think national media exposure in ATL would be much greater.