ACC office may leave Greensboro

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Atlanta is the only choice. It puts us in the heart of college football. All the major companies we want to be sponsored by are here. The world's busiest airport is here. And we would give the biggest middle finger possible to the $ec we can this point.
We can still have the championship game in Charlotte, just like the Birmingham based $ec has their championship in atl.
The thing about bojangles being a sponsor is that it is a regional place. We want nation wide sponcers because...well more money. Everyone who eats at a bojangles loves it, but how many are in Miami, or Pittsburgh and points north? To be a national brand like the ACC wants to be, you have to get bigger sponsorship with a much broader appeal.

Atl or bust!

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
The entire town of Greensboro is one big Buford highway. There must be some nice areas somewhere there but I haven't seen them. Charlotte has become a banking/financial center and has some nice residential areas but it is not a college oriented town. I would not be surprised to see it chosen though to appease Tobacco road. They just love having their BB tournaments like a home game. It will be interesting to see if the state of NC cuts the ACC some sort of incentive to keep it in Greensboro or at least in Charlotte.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
The entire town of Greensboro is one big Buford highway. There must be some nice areas somewhere there but I haven't seen them. Charlotte has become a banking/financial center and has some nice residential areas but it is not a college oriented town. I would not be surprised to see it chosen though to appease Tobacco road. They just love having their BB tournaments like a home game. It will be interesting to see if the state of NC cuts the ACC some sort of incentive to keep it in Greensboro or at least in Charlotte.
The thing about the NC Mafia and the ACC is that the NC schools are outnumbered now and the guy on top is NOT a NC guy. I think Syracuse, BC, Pitt, FSU, Miami, GT, Clemson, UVA, ND would all like to see the HQ somewhere other than in NC.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
The thing about the NC Mafia and the ACC is that the NC schools are outnumbered now and the guy on top is NOT a NC guy. I think Syracuse, BC, Pitt, FSU, Miami, GT, Clemson, UVA, ND would all like to see the HQ somewhere other than in NC.
I think the VA schools will join with the NC schools to maintain the veto power of the cabal.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
I don't see that happening, but what do I know? It's all guesswork on this side of the fence. Besides, that's still 9-6 against the cabal. I forgot Louisville in my previous list.
I don't know if it has changed, but I remember this came up when FSU joined, but 40% of the members could block any vote.

BigE

Georgia Tech Fan
You need venture away from the interstates next time you’re passing through. I’ve lived in Greensboro for four years and while like any medium size city it has its Buford Highways and nicer areas. Very nice green spaces for a city.
That said I it doesn’t make any sense to be home of the ACC especially when the conference is competing for eyeballs, alliances, and influence.
I think the conference should move the HQ to Atlanta. Forget the “geographic center” in VA. The real center of gravity of the conference is further south (I’m giving more weight to football). Clemson, FSU, UNC, and soon GT will dominate the conference. Also helps to have the ACC, B10, and PAC-12 alliance with presence in home of college football.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
You need venture away from the interstates next time you’re passing through. I’ve lived in Greensboro for four years and while like any medium size city it has its Buford Highways and nicer areas. Very nice green spaces for a city.
That said I it doesn’t make any sense to be home of the ACC especially when the conference is competing for eyeballs, alliances, and influence.
I think the conference should move the HQ to Atlanta. Forget the “geographic center” in VA. The real center of gravity of the conference is further south (I’m giving more weight to football). Clemson, FSU, UNC, and soon GT will dominate the conference. Also helps to have the ACC, B10, and PAC-12 alliance with presence in home of college football.
I drive all the way on Lee (Gate City) for miles and also on Battleground. I get routed through town right past the ball park sometimes by my GPS. I ate at Saigon ( Vietnamese ) restaurant on Gate City recently and get cake at Maxie Bee's. I have eaten at the Green Valley Restaurant multiple times. So far I haven't seen any really nice residential areas although there must be some somewhere. Maybe on the country clubs. The town seems to be spread out on a few main streets like Lee, Battleground Wendover.
At least that's what I see when I go there. Probably not a bad place to live but not as cosmopolitan as Charlotte or Atlanta. The ACC has outgrown that location and needs to move to a major city for better media exposure and a major airport. Didn't intend to bash the city but that is the impression I get when I go there.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I drive all the way on Lee (Gate City) for miles and also on Battleground. I get routed through town right past the ball park sometimes by my GPS. I ate at Saigon ( Vietnamese ) restaurant on Gate City recently and get cake at Maxie Bee's. I have eaten at the Green Valley Restaurant multiple times. So far I haven't seen any really nice residential areas although there must be some somewhere. Maybe on the country clubs. The town seems to be spread out on a few main streets like Lee, Battleground Wendover.
At least that's what I see when I go there. Probably not a bad place to live but not as cosmopolitan as Charlotte or Atlanta. The ACC has outgrown that location and needs to move to a major city for better media exposure and a major airport. Didn't intend to bash the city but that is the impression I get when I go there.
I hear good things about Greensboro and many of us, for different reasons, have chosen to live in smaller cities or small towns. Heck, I live on a mountain in a cabin.

But the discussion is about where to put the ACC headquarters. New York is the greatest city in the world if you want prestige, eye balls, communication, transportation, media and advertising. But it might be too sophisticated of a choice for college sports, I don’t know. Choosing Atlanta would send a strong message -to the south, to the rest of the country and to NCAA sports.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
@g0lftime, I don't care where the ACC plants its offices, but Wendover et al are Greensboro arterial streets for people like you who are driving through. My son and his family live in GSO and they can afford to live wherever they want. They chose Greensboro over Atlanta because it's a better place to raise a family. He and his wife both have home offices, so traffic is not an issue. And they live in a neighborhood near the Bog Garden and Centennial Park. Their daughters can bike to Whole Foods. The girls walk to the swim club from home. If the ACC stays in GSO it will be for reasons you may not agree with.

Last edited:

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
I doubt there's any difference in the minds of non-North Carolina members between Greensboro and Charlotte. Granted, it is easier to get to Charlotte than to Greensboro, so that is a slight advantage.

Atlanta makes sense primarily if access is the issue. There are only two programs south of Atlanta, so geography doesn't favor Atlanta. I bet northern Virginia is a more likely future home.
Access for what? I mean what happens at the conference offices that really matters besides perhaps media events. I get moving from Greensboro because it can be difficult to get to but what exactly do we think having the office in ATL will do for the conference?

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
Just because you don’t know anything about Greensboro is no reason to keep criticizing it. It’s a great place to live. As I said before I can see moving to a bigger city but no reason to be an *** about it.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
Easy guys, we get you love NC. And I'm sure Greensboro is a lovely place. Although I lived most of my life in the ATL area, I've moved to the GA coast because ATL is too crazy busy anymore. I'd likely prefer living in Greensboro (or one of the 'Villes...Greensville, Huntsville, Knoxville) to Atlanta to be honest.

But having an HQ for the conference in Greensboro just doesn't make sense from an access standpoint and it does present a bit of a 'country bumpkin' image to most of the media elites who are almost always urban. When image is everything (this is entertainment, after all), being in a major metro should be a major consideration.

But I stand by my admiration for the "one big Buford Highway" image...it may not be true but it paints a definite picture of ugly suburban sprawl.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Access for what? I mean what happens at the conference offices that really matters besides perhaps media events. I get moving from Greensboro because it can be difficult to get to but what exactly do we think having the office in ATL will do for the conference?
There’s also an aspect to being in a major hub that is hard to quantify but is nevertheless a very real thing. Why do actors and producers want to go to Hollywood when much of the technical stuff that happens there could happen in a dozen other places around the world? Because of the random coffee shop conversations, the buzz “on the streets” and the emerging trends that pop up long before the internet makes it common knowledge to the rest of the industry. There is value to being on the ground where much of the action originates.

In a major hub like Atlanta there is a synergy that happens when you are rubbing shoulders with, even by accident, leaders in musical entertainment, Fortune 500 executives, the random local person at a night life hot spot and hundreds of pro athletes, managers and agents. Moving in the big leagues, whatever your organization, often requires this kind of setting.