ACC May Increase Number Of Conference Games for Network Inventory (Teel Article)

GTFLETCH

Banned
Right. Teel says, "ESPN surely is requesting more inventory. ... more ... conference football games." He's expressing his inference and then dusts off his old research. He even says it's "quite possible" if they get a deal done.

Your conclusion that he's been told that there will be a 9 conf game schedule if and when a deal is done is just a major reading fail, ... by one of us.

You are correct that Teel has not named a source, so we are going to have to agree to disagree. I tend to think Teel has an inside source, but can not name anything until it is official. However if one has followed the ACC saga over the years you could conclude that they may have found away to over come the third tier rights saga and will be able to launch a network and Teel is reporting without having an "on the record" source. However I have read several ACC AD quotes and how they talk about the must for channel the last two years. It appears that the ACC has overcome some hurdles that were previously reported (2013 story http://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...-stages-but-there-are-a-few-hurdles-to-clear/)

- I see ESPN letting BIG go to FOX as ESPN being all in for a ACC channel. The Big Ten's primary media rights deal expire at the end of the 2016-17 season.

- I see the football 9 game schedule and Bball 20 games schedule proposals as a way to create content or inventory for said channel without having to buy back all third tier content and probably a must by ESPN.

But I do agree since there is not an announcement Teel could be a quack and making stuff up and No channel is coming. So at worst the ACC will get around 45M in 2017 and it increases every year from ESPN for not having a channel. The question how much does it increase? So even if we are going worst case and Teel is a quack and there is no ACC Channel coming we could see how increasing the ACC Bball schedule to 20 games and Football schedule to 9 games would give the ACC more content to go back to ESPN and request mo money since ESPN will have some holes to fill when BIG jumps to FOX!!!

However I tend to think Teel and the others reporting about a ACC Network know that the ACC Channel is coimng and 2018-19 make sense since it will take a bit to rearrange the schedules and the extra content will allow ESPN/ACC extra inventory without worrying about games sublicensed to Fox RSN! It will be interesting to see how ESPN uses RAYCOM's Syndicated ACC Network programming!

PS-
I could be wrong and the SEC Blowhards that say the ACC will fold like the BIG EAST did could be correct! GT will then have to join the SUNBELT!

Last edited:

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I know an expanded ACC schedule will prevent us from playing this school, but the SEC is all over it and Dwight Perry of the Seattle Times has the story:

“Federal agents set up a fake university — the University of Northern New Jersey — to break up a ring that sold more than 1,000 bogus non-immigrant student visas.

“The ruse was so convincing, insiders say, that eight SEC teams already had them on next season’s non-conference football schedule.”

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
You are correct that Teel has not named a source, so we are going to have to agree to disagree. I tend to think Teel has an inside source, but can not name anything until it is official. However if one has followed the ACC saga over the years you could conclude that they may have found away to over come the third tier rights saga and will be able to launch a network and Teel is reporting without having an "on the record" source. However I have read several ACC AD quotes and how they talk about the must for channel the last two years. It appears that the ACC has overcome some hurdles that were previously reported (2013 story http://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...-stages-but-there-are-a-few-hurdles-to-clear/)

- I see ESPN letting BIG go to FOX as ESPN being all in for a ACC channel. The Big Ten's primary media rights deal expire at the end of the 2016-17 season.

- I see the football 9 game schedule and Bball 20 games schedule proposals as a way to create content or inventory for said channel without having to buy back all third tier content and probably a must by ESPN.

But I do agree since there is not an announcement Teel could be a quack and making stuff up and No channel is coming. So at worst the ACC will get around 45M in 2017 and it increases every year from ESPN for not having a channel. The question how much does it increase? So even if we are going worst case and Teel is a quack and there is no ACC Channel coming we could see how increasing the ACC Bball schedule to 20 games and Football schedule to 9 games would give the ACC more content to go back to ESPN and request mo money since ESPN will have some holes to fill when BIG jumps to FOX!!!

However I tend to think Teel and the others reporting about a ACC Network know that the ACC Channel is coimng and 2018-19 make sense since it will take a bit to rearrange the schedules and the extra content will allow ESPN/ACC extra inventory without worrying about games sublicensed to Fox RSN! It will be interesting to see how ESPN uses RAYCOM's Syndicated ACC Network programming!

PS-
I could be wrong and the SEC Blowhards that say the ACC will fold like the BIG EAST did could be correct! GT will then have to join the SUNBELT!

No worries, but you misunderstood my point. I'm saying that the language he uses does not reflect a source for going to a 9-conf-game schedule at all, named or unnamed. Rather, it suggests that he thinks such a schedule is an obvious way to satisfy ESPN's desire for greater inventory, see the actual talks about a 20-conf-game sched in basketball.

GTFLETCH

Banned
No worries, but you misunderstood my point. I'm saying that the language he uses does not reflect a source for going to a 9-conf-game schedule at all, named or unnamed. Rather, it suggests that he thinks such a schedule is an obvious way to satisfy ESPN's desire for greater inventory, see the actual talks about a 20-conf-game sched in basketball.
Yea I think the ACC was wise to bring up 20-conf game sched in basketball first! The ACC is a basketball powerhouse! The ACC then can announce the football increase after basketball goes first...

LINK
http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/article77253192.html
John Swofford, the ACC commissioner: “Development of what we anticipate doing” should quell financial concerns about ACC!

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I am for 11 conference games and 1 rivalry game allowed for each team in every power conference. No more permanent rivals from opposite division. Each conf has a championship game. Division record alone should determine who advances to championship game with record against common opponents in opposite divisions being a tie breaker. Each conference champ has a seat in the CFB playoff bracket. I am done with FCS opponents. They bring nothing good to football at this level. The only good is the budget boost those FCS programs get from taking a whooping.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I am for 11 conference games and 1 rivalry game allowed for each team in every power conference. No more permanent rivals from opposite division. Each conf has a championship game. Division record alone should determine who advances to championship game with record against common opponents in opposite divisions being a tie breaker. Each conference champ has a seat in the CFB playoff bracket. I am done with FCS opponents. They bring nothing good to football at this level. The only good is the budget boost those FCS programs get from taking a whooping.
That's 2 of us that hate fcs games. Can we have another member #neverfcs

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
AJC: Mike Bobinski’s comments on possibility of nine-game ACC schedule
In an interview last week, he said that talk has been muted of late.

“We finally put it away and said, ‘We’re done talking about this for the foreseeable future,’” Bobinski said. “But it does come up still: ‘Hey, should we talk about it again? Is there any impetus from our television partner for them to want us to consider that on a more serious level?’”

Bobinski said that the league placing Florida State and Clemson into the College Football Playoff in the first two years is one significant reason to keep things as they are.

“What we’re doing at this point in time isn’t terribly broken,” he said. “Do we really want to rush to change something that’s performing reasonably well at this point in time?”

GTFLETCH

Banned
Yea..I am sure they are done until the announcement of an ACC Network....If it comes out in 2018 that is when the 9 game will happen...If the ACC Network launches in 2019 then that will be the start of a 9 game schedule.... If there is no network then there is no need of a 9 game schedule....

I do not think anyone wants a 9 game schedule unless there is an ACC Network...It will be interesting....I just hope if there is an 8 game schedule in 2018 that we do not get stuck with two FCS games!!! Let's go Mike Bobinski, fill out that 2018 schedule with P5 Home and home like Auburn or South Carolina or sign NMSU from G5...Do not sign two FCS games...

GTFLETCH

Banned
Three possible scenarios.

Best
ESPN has request that the ACC up their BBALL Conf games to 20 and the FB games to 9. This allows ESPN to starthe the ACC Network without buying back third tier rights. And we see a network in 2018-19 or 2019-20. And each team get 7M on top of what they already get.

Ok
ESPN has gone back to the ACC and stated that there will be No ACCN... However they will pay the 45M per year for not providing said network. The ACC in a stroke of genius decides to up the BBALL schedule to 20 conf games and the FB conf games to 9 games. This allows the ACC to ask for a TV look as ESPN just allowed the BIG to go to FOX. This could net the ACC an additional 50-60M a year. When added together the kicker for no network and the extra games takes the ACC to 95-105M in extra revenue thus allowing the ACC to Staydee in third ace in the P5 $$$ race.

The Bad & Ugly
The ACC really boned everything up and is not even interested in extra $$.. So AD like Mike Bobinski do not care about scheduling enhancements like the AJC is reporting... Thus ESPN in a stroke of genius allows the BIG to walk and tells the ACC to recieve the 45M kicker for no network they must increase their BBALL and FB conf schedules or they will not see any of the extra 45M. They then enter into talks with ND about an Irish Network aND thus the ACC is doomed much like how the LHN is killing the BIG12..

What do you think will happen??

a5ehren

Jolly Good Fellow
The TV rights bubble seems like it is about to pop (see: CUSA deal), so this isn't really the time to go back and try to renegotiate. Nail ESPN to the terms of the contract already in place and ride it out for as long as possible.

I think it is unlikely that ESPN will ever create the ACCN.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
We hosted a dinner party last night. Four couples, and none of us have cable. None of my 3 sons (2 GT alums) have cable. This is the ESPN bubble.

GTFLETCH

Banned
The TV rights bubble seems like it is about to pop (see: CUSA deal), so this isn't really the time to go back and try to renegotiate. Nail ESPN to the terms of the contract already in place and ride it out for as long as possible.

I think it is unlikely that ESPN will ever create the ACCN.

If that is the case (ESPN won't do an ACCN) you are correct collect the 50 M Kicker every year for not having a network and then when time comes let NBC (who owns ND rights) bid for the ACC...While NBC Sports Network doesn't have to be renamed ACCN....it would basically become an ACCN...Or they could rename it ACCN...either way it would be a big win...

ESPN needs to be careful with letting the BIG and ACC go if that is the route they choose

GTFLETCH

Banned
LSL Podcast: David Teel on the ACC going to 9 games & ACCN update
Nothing earth shattering, but David firmly believes the ACCN will happen and is also confident in the 9-game schedule. He specifically mentions Clemson fans not liking it as well.... You can listen to it http://louisvillesportslive.net/lsl-podcast-rachel-baribeau-david-teel/

ACC Reporter David Teel from the Newport News (Va.) Daily Press (01:14.45).

With David:

*Why the ACC could go to a 9-game league schedule

*Swofford managing expectations and the reasons why an ACC Network will happen

*When he expects the ACC to announce its own ESPN network

GTFLETCH

Banned
NC State AD Debbie Yow on an ACC Network:

Any new updates on the ACC Network?

“I’ve always been bullish on the ACC Network, even though I don’t know anything specifically about when it could happen. Nothing about that has changed.

“I do believe it is going to happen. I know there is a lot of publicity with the Big Ten and SEC networks. Ours is coming.

“You need two things: more visibility for everybody, especially the Olympic sports, and more money. With the kind of money that the SEC schools and Big Ten schools are making, it would bode well for us to have an operational, linear network and begin to see what kind of distribution and money we can get for that.

“I will tell you this, there is another construction project and it’s a broadcast studio for the ACC Network. That would tell you I am very bullish on the ACC Network.

“This will be housed inside of the Murphy Center because we actually have space in there. When Chuck Amato was our coach and the Murphy Center was built, they built a racquetball court, which is now used to store stuff.

“We can reconfigure that area into an amazing studio and stay inside the envelope of the current building. We have to do that and buy the HD cameras.

“We brought the HD cameras and equipment we needed for Reynolds, which will have a control room right away. Whenever the ACC Network becomes a reality, we’ll need more HD cameras and other equipment over in the Murphy Center. That project is $6 million, and athletics is carrying that.

“I’m not asking the Wolfpack Club staff to fund raise for that. We haven’t started any construction yet, so we have time to figure it out.”

https://ncstate.n.rivals.com/news/nc-sta...a-part-iii

GTFLETCH

Banned
I believe this makes the fourth ACC school to get studios set up on campus... I think even the most negative nelly has to admit that a network is coming...

It will be interesting to see if a 9 game ACC FB Conf schedule is tied to an ACC Network

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I'm all for banning FCS games. But not in favor of a 9 game conf sched...makes the possibility of playing any of our old SEC Rivals (non mutts) mighty slim unless it's in a bowl. I'm pumped to play Tenn but would much rather have a home and away at BDS@HGF. I'd very much like to see those with Tenn, Aubie, Bammer and maybe even UF.