ACC May Increase Number Of Conference Games for Network Inventory (Teel Article)

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Not sure about this source - maybe @ESPNjacket can chime in on where this digital migration stands - but this is the first I've digested this. Admittedly I haven't been paying too close attention though. A quick Google search shows a number of articles at least back to January alluding to ESPN's interest in cord-cutter packages.

ESPN To Cater To Cord Cutters With Limited Streaming Service
“There have been some losses due to cord cutting,” acknowledged John Skipper, President of ESPN. “ESPN has been hit doubly hard by this trend because some consumers have been trading down to smaller packages that don’t include ESPN.”

This is why ESPN is preparing to reveal its own streaming TV package that won’t require a cable subscription. Of course, entering this market will make ESPN a little fish in a giant pond, so they do not intend to include their prime content like basketball or football. Instead, it will aim to include “niche leagues” and “possibly some types of college sports.”

Get The Latest Sports Tech News In Your Inbox!

“Rights are not an issue. It can be done… but there are issues we face doing it. Pricing is one of them,” commented Disney CEO Bob Iger. Clearly, ESPN majority shareholders want to ensure a profit will be realized with making this huge switch to streaming.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Not sure about this source - maybe @ESPNjacket can chime in on where this digital migration stands - but this is the first I've digested this. Admittedly I haven't been paying too close attention though. A quick Google search shows a number of articles at least back to January alluding to ESPN's interest in cord-cutter packages.

ESPN To Cater To Cord Cutters With Limited Streaming Service
I am one of them. I have local stations with my antenna, and SlingTV for ESPN.

GTFLETCH

Banned
Looks like Thursday we may have more info on a the 2019-20 season and if there will be an increase BB and or FB ACC conf schedule...

GTFLETCH

Banned
McMurphy on Louisville ESPN radio. His points:

1) The ACC GOR extension is the bigger deal, keeps ACC safe in next round of realignment. ACC will be among the hunters instead of the hunted.

2) Extending the ND agreement strengthens the ACC. IF they join a conference it has to be the ACC.

3) Conferences going to 9 games won't effect ND, they all will make room for them.

4) The ACCN will be similar to the SECN setup, won't be like the B1GN or the PACN.

5) He doesn't know the details of the agreement or the financials.

6) There has to be ways to tweak the agreement, lookins & such. Over 20 years, both sides would want ways to make adjustments.

7) While ND is a partial in the ACC, 9 games is unlikely. With ACC teams having rivals & ND there wouldn't be any scheduling flexibility.

8) The commish will announce the ACCN this week.

9) 2019 is the latest, slight possibility for 2018 launch.

LINK - Hour 3
http://espnlouisville.com/common/page.php?id=151

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
So the ACC will go to 9 Conf Games!!!!!!!!!!!!

I didn't listen to the interview. I am a little confused on your list. Item 3 says 9 games is not a problem with ND but Item 7 says 9 games will not happen as long as ND is a partial member of the conference.

GTFLETCH

Banned
You guys are to quick.. Yes it looks like David Teel was wrong and the AD is correct... No 9 game schedule... We will stay at 8 conf games for flexability... Sorry

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
You guys are to quick.. Yes it looks like David Teel was wrong and the AD is correct... No 9 game schedule... We will stay at 8 conf games for flexability... Sorry

Well, I don't put much stock in rumors. Even rumors that have grown as much traction as the ACC Network being a done deal.

However, my not reality wild speculation:
  • ND joining the ACC is part of the reason for forming the network and for the delay to 2019.
  • Navy would join the ACC along with ND.
  • The ACC would lobby again for a four division 16 team conference instead of two divisions.
ND being part of the ACC network would increase the money pool. Navy joining would help ND keep them on their schedule. Having four-four team divisions would help with playing teams outside of your division. With 8 team divisions, you would have to have 9 conference games in order to play every team in the other division once every 7 years. With four team divisions, you would play 3 division foes and 5-6 of the remaining 12 teams. It would be easy to play every team in the conference at least once every 3 years.

So if these items were to be true, your item 7 would not prevent 9 conference games.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Well, I don't put much stock in rumors. Even rumors that have grown as much traction as the ACC Network being a done deal.

However, my not reality wild speculation:
  • ND joining the ACC is part of the reason for forming the network and for the delay to 2019.
  • Navy would join the ACC along with ND.
  • The ACC would lobby again for a four division 16 team conference instead of two divisions.
ND being part of the ACC network would increase the money pool. Navy joining would help ND keep them on their schedule. Having four-four team divisions would help with playing teams outside of your division. With 8 team divisions, you would have to have 9 conference games in order to play every team in the other division once every 7 years. With four team divisions, you would play 3 division foes and 5-6 of the remaining 12 teams. It would be easy to play every team in the conference at least once every 3 years.

So if these items were to be true, your item 7 would not prevent 9 conference games.

Boy, if Navy is given a spot in the ACC, it would really show the college athletics world how little we think of being a member. Instead of truly aiming high with targets like uk, PSU, or Texas we are subtracting from our value as a baseball, basketball, golf, women's sports conference, and yes, football conference, All because, supposedly, n.d. wants them in. And because some here get so wet because CPJ once beat n.d. while at Navy. (Think that was same year that dip**** CCG did it at GT, but not sure)

Boy, I can see the Atlanta football fans rushing out to buy tickets to a home schedule with the likes of Elon, puke, wake, UVA, cuse, navy and probably Ga State. Excitement galore!

GTFLETCH

Banned
Boy, if Navy is given a spot in the ACC, it would really show the college athletics world how little we think of being a member. Instead of truly aiming high with targets like uk, PSU, or Texas we are subtracting from our value as a baseball, basketball, golf, women's sports conference, and yes, football conference, All because, supposedly, n.d. wants them in. And because some here get so wet because CPJ once beat n.d. while at Navy. (Think that was same year that dip**** CCG did it at GT, but not sure)

Boy, I can see the Atlanta football fans rushing out to buy tickets to a home schedule with the likes of Elon, puke, wake, UVA, cuse, navy and probably Ga State. Excitement galore!
I do not think that the Service Academies will ever go P-5 unless the DOD approves! B12 was interested in the Air Force Academy a few years back and the DOD wanted no part of it. They are happy staying at G5 Level. Unless DOD policy has changed!

stech81

Helluva Engineer

I must be different then most I go to see Tech play I don't care who they play.

a5ehren

Jolly Good Fellow

UK, PSU, and Texas would never, ever leave their existing conferences. Are you high?

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
UK, PSU, and Texas would never, ever leave their existing conferences. Are you high?

UK=Kentucky? Seriously? What dream did that come out of?

PSU- I sort of understand...for years they would have jumped to be in a conference like ours. Not so sure now with the Big Ten, but there still might be *some* interest....

Texas-Again, seriously? The school with its own network ('cuz they are TEXAS!!!) and that the rest of the Big XII all hate, and you want them int he ACC? And think there is one iota chance they'd join?

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
I have always thought, with what TV is paying, they would not tolerate some of the early season games. Seems every year there are a couple of Saturday's with out any decent games. Usually the Saturday before rivalry week and the 2nd and third Saturday's of the season.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
If it was up to me, no games outside FBS would be allowed. There's plenty of lower tier FBS schools out there if you must play a cupcake. If the coaches want a tune-up game, play a one game pre-season that doesn't count.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I have always thought, with what TV is paying, they would not tolerate some of the early season games. Seems every year there are a couple of Saturday's with out any decent games. Usually the Saturday before rivalry week and the 2nd and third Saturday's of the season.

SEC ooc schedule is worse than ACC. Only bama and aub play anyone sig ooc in secw