ACC in playoff?

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
I think this year the Committee will try to take advantage of the chance to get 4 different conference teams in the final 4 ... it will magnify the hype.
So, if Washington beats Washington State, that gives them the opportunity.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Homers like ESPN??? Now with the loss, they don't have a chance. I still hope they beat Bama, though... Just to see the chaos get even better. To make things fun...let Bama lose the SEC Championship game. Now that would be a riot!!

Yes. Homers like ESPN. They have been biased towards the SEC for the better part of a decade now. Surprising, since their stake in the SEC channel is so high...

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Was listening to Mike & Mike this morning and they said if the playoffs started today it would be 1. Bama 2. Clemson 3. OSU 4. Louisville

I think 3 teams definitely control their own destiny. Bama, Clemson, & Michigan. If these teams win out and Louisville and Washington win out I think Louisville will get the nod over Washington. I will also add that I think there’s a wildcard with a legit shot that no one is talking about. West Virginia. If they win out they could be the Big 12 champion with a win over Oklahoma and one loss to Oklahoma State. That to me is a better resume than Washington and probably not as good as Louisville but it depends on if the committee puts any stock into a conference champion (albeit one without a conference championship game).

I know Penn St won’t get in but it would be complete BS if they won the Big10 and beat OSU head to head and OSU got in over them.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Louisville will not get in unless WF beats Clemson , and Louisville wins the ACC . Or if the PAC 10 and Big 12 - 2 Champions have 3 Losses. And even if that happen they could pick a Big 10 team.

18in32

Georgia Tech Fan
I somewhat get what you are saying, but there is an argument that Louisville and Clemson are pretty even. Yes Clemson won but if they played again the outcome could be different. If a conference is weak why would you want them in the playoffs? Shouldn't we want the best games possible? I'm sorry but if pen state wins their conference and had to play Bama that would not be a fun game imo, but a Louisville vs Bama, or Ohio state or even Michigan would actually be a fun game to watch. I just want the best 4 no matter what conference makes it or doesn't.
Yours is a wide-spread sentiment... put the best four teams, not necessarily the four highest-ranked conference champions. The problem with that is that implies that a team that "looks" better to us somehow managed to lose their conference championship. So you are ignoring on-field results in favor of the eye test. Well, if you're going to do that, then why not do it for single-game results, too?

Say a dominant Alabama team ends up playing a lucky-as-heck Washington State team in the national championship. Washington State wins a close game. Alabama ends up with 1 loss, and Wash. St. still has its 2 losses to Eastern Washington and Boise State. On your logic, you could say, "look, even though Wash. State won the game, on balance I think Alabama is the better team, and therefore I think we ought to give Alabama the national championship anyhow." I hope that sounds ridiculous to you...?

Football is the most-complicated game in the world, and you decide the winners and the losers according to how well they play within those rules. One of the rules should be that if you aren't the best in your conference, you aren't the best in the nation. And if any conference doesn't like the possibility of Louisville (for example) not making the playoff... then let that conference decide that a poll or a vote at the end of the season will decide who its conference champion is. ...That's exactly how we picked national champs for decades, and precisely the problem the CFP is designed to solve.

Having clear rules in place that decide who gets in and who doesn't is the very best way to ensure that the winner is decided on the field, and not according to the prejudices and biases we all have. Remember how FSU would keep getting a high preseason ranking throughout the end of Bowden's career... and then tank and end up 7-5 or whatever? The whole point of the CFP is to stop letting those biases determine our national champion. Making only conference champions eligible would further that goal.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Yours is a wide-spread sentiment... put the best four teams, not necessarily the four highest-ranked conference champions. The problem with that is that implies that a team that "looks" better to us somehow managed to lose their conference championship. So you are ignoring on-field results in favor of the eye test. Well, if you're going to do that, then why not do it for single-game results, too?

Say a dominant Alabama team ends up playing a lucky-as-heck Washington State team in the national championship. Washington State wins a close game. Alabama ends up with 1 loss, and Wash. St. still has its 2 losses to Eastern Washington and Boise State. On your logic, you could say, "look, even though Wash. State won the game, on balance I think Alabama is the better team, and therefore I think we ought to give Alabama the national championship anyhow." I hope that sounds ridiculous to you...?

Football is the most-complicated game in the world, and you decide the winners and the losers according to how well they play within those rules. One of the rules should be that if you aren't the best in your conference, you aren't the best in the nation. And if any conference doesn't like the possibility of Louisville (for example) not making the playoff... then let that conference decide that a poll or a vote at the end of the season will decide who its conference champion is. ...That's exactly how we picked national champs for decades, and precisely the problem the CFP is designed to solve.

Having clear rules in place that decide who gets in and who doesn't is the very best way to ensure that the winner is decided on the field, and not according to the prejudices and biases we all have. Remember how FSU would keep getting a high preseason ranking throughout the end of Bowden's career... and then tank and end up 7-5 or whatever? The whole point of the CFP is to stop letting those biases determine our national champion. Making only conference champions eligible would further that goal.
I'm glad you have an opinion, and I'm sure many have this same opinion, but many share my opinion as well. I want the best games possible in the playoffs, and just because a team losses to another doesn't mean they are the better team, maybe that day they were but overall it doesn't mean that. Do you really think Pitt is better than Clemson? And duke better than UNC? If Clemson were to have beat up on Louisville I could see not putting them in but honestly Louisville and Clemson were pretty even that day. The playoff committee realizes these things and so they do go by the eye test and sos, ect. They don't want to see another Bama notre dame type championship game again. So I respect your opinion but I think doing it your way doesn't put the best teamss on the field, because it is possible to have 2 of the top 4 teams in the country in the same conference, and why wouldnt you want those teams playing to make better games? Also this is another reason I said have a top 8, because it allows you to take more than one team from a conference to really see how they match up against other top teams in other conferences. Also who's not to say that Louisville isn't better than Clemson at this point in the season? You do know teams get better as the year goes on right? Look at GT in 2014. I just want the best games possible and i believe there are conferences that are weak and if you do it the way your talking about you will get games that are not as competitive. Just my opinion against yours.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Was listening to Mike & Mike this morning and they said if the playoffs started today it would be 1. Bama 2. Clemson 3. OSU 4. Louisville

I think 3 teams definitely control their own destiny. Bama, Clemson, & Michigan. If these teams win out and Louisville and Washington win out I think Louisville will get the nod over Washington. I will also add that I think there’s a wildcard with a legit shot that no one is talking about. West Virginia. If they win out they could be the Big 12 champion with a win over Oklahoma and one loss to Oklahoma State. That to me is a better resume than Washington and probably not as good as Louisville but it depends on if the committee puts any stock into a conference champion (albeit one without a conference championship game).

I know Penn St won’t get in but it would be complete BS if they won the Big10 and beat OSU head to head and OSU got in over them.

I was thinking about WV and PSU. If they win their conferences, then chaos. Then it's up to the committee.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Just for kicks and grins.... Let's go into theory.

Bama loses to Auburn and then loses the SEC championship to Florida. Does the SEC still get a team into the playoffs??

Just think of the possibilities of chaos...
Theory... if that happened, you could possibly have Bama, one loss WV, one loss OhSt, two loss Wisconsin/PennSt, one loss Louisville, Sec champ, one loss Louisville and a couple more vying for two slots.

Jmonty71

Banned
Theory... if that happened, you could possibly have Bama, one loss WV, one loss OhSt, two loss Wisconsin/PennSt, one loss Louisville, Sec champ, one loss Louisville and a couple more vying for two slots.
So, Bama with 2 loses, to Auburn and Florida still gets the nod?

18in32

Georgia Tech Fan
I'm glad you have an opinion, and I'm sure many have this same opinion, but many share my opinion as well. I want the best games possible in the playoffs, and just because a team losses to another doesn't mean they are the better team, maybe that day they were but overall it doesn't mean that. Do you really think Pitt is better than Clemson? And duke better than UNC? If Clemson were to have beat up on Louisville I could see not putting them in but honestly Louisville and Clemson were pretty even that day. The playoff committee realizes these things and so they do go by the eye test and sos, ect. They don't want to see another Bama notre dame type championship game again. So I respect your opinion but I think doing it your way doesn't put the best teamss on the field, because it is possible to have 2 of the top 4 teams in the country in the same conference, and why wouldnt you want those teams playing to make better games? Also this is another reason I said have a top 8, because it allows you to take more than one team from a conference to really see how they match up against other top teams in other conferences. Also who's not to say that Louisville isn't better than Clemson at this point in the season? You do know teams get better as the year goes on right? Look at GT in 2014. I just want the best games possible and i believe there are conferences that are weak and if you do it the way your talking about you will get games that are not as competitive. Just my opinion against yours.
The fundamental problem with your point of view is that there is no end to it. Assume for a moment we agree that Louisville "looks" better than Clemson right now. If you think the best looking teams should go into the CFP, then why not do the same for the ACCCG? Why shouldn't the ACC select Louisville instead of Clemson to be the Atlantic Div rep in the ACCCG? If you answer that by saying Clemson should go since they won on the field, then we agree and the reason behind that decision explains why the same should apply for the CFP. If you answer that by saying the ACC *should* pick Louisville, then we simply totally disagree about the fundamental point of college football....
PS. I can't stand the "at this point in the season" kind of talk. Let's just call the first – what? – 6 or 8 games "pre-season" games and not count them; then the teams would know which games were going to be held against them and which weren't. Either the games are real games or they aren't. Can't have it both ways.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
PS. I can't stand the "at this point in the season" kind of talk. Let's just call the first – what? – 6 or 8 games "pre-season" games and not count them; then the teams would know which games were going to be held against them and which weren't. Either the games are real games or they aren't. Can't have it both ways.

The committee should not be doing ANY rankings at this point. It is as useless as if the NCAA Tournament committee got together in early Feb and started putting together brackets. They wouldn't know who the conference champions are, how many "surprise" mid-major champoins there will be, or what potential bubble teams would do in the future. The committee rankings at this point are for discussion only, otherwise they are meaningless. They don't know who the conference champions will be, which is one of the factors that they say is a heavy factor in the final rankings. The ONLY reason they do it is to provide ESPN with programming. It was part of the negotiation of TV rights for the CFP. It has absolutely nothing to do with the actual playoff.

18in32

Georgia Tech Fan
The committee should not be doing ANY rankings at this point. It is as useless as if the NCAA Tournament committee got together in early Feb and started putting together brackets. They wouldn't know who the conference champions are, how many "surprise" mid-major champoins there will be, or what potential bubble teams would do in the future. The committee rankings at this point are for discussion only, otherwise they are meaningless. They don't know who the conference champions will be, which is one of the factors that they say is a heavy factor in the final rankings. The ONLY reason they do it is to provide ESPN with programming. It was part of the negotiation of TV rights for the CFP. It has absolutely nothing to do with the actual playoff.
I agree they're meaningless and that we shouldn't take too much notice of them. But I'm not sure that means the committee shouldn't do them. People like to talk and speculate, and I'm not sure it hurts much to let them.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I agree they're meaningless and that we shouldn't take too much notice of them. But I'm not sure that means the committee shouldn't do them. People like to talk and speculate, and I'm not sure it hurts much to let them.

The only reason to do them is pure entertainment. If the NCAA is about academic athletics, then they should not be doing things purely for entertainment or entertainment revenue. If they are not serious about academic athletics, then they should drop the charade all together and become a minor league farm system. These kinds of things are going to bite them really hard in a class action law suit some day. The NCAA is complaining about a one-and-done BBall player and his statements about the NCAA. They say that the conditions that he complained about are not their fault. However, they do push very hard to ensure that they maximize the revenue from the situation. The NCAA could very easily change the APR rules to penalize a school when a player leaves early to join the NBA or NFL. They could easily drop the pre-championship rankings to make football more about STUDENT-athletics. If they keep pushing the boundaries, a law suit or judgment will break the bank of the entire system.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Winning your conf champ game gives a huge advantage in sos, no way does a 1-loss Clemson team gets jumped by in that scenario

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Is it possible the top 4 will be in this order Bama, Ohio state, Louisville, Clemson? It could look very much like that in the Polls this week. But I still see no way Louisville makes the 4 team playoff this year. IMO you will see only teams this year that win their conference even if one of them has 2 losses. The only way IMO that could change if for some reason Alabama did not win their conference I could see them still getting into the playoffs , but I don't see anyone in the sec east that could beat them.
That is the way it sould be, only conference champs.