ACC in playoff?

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
With the current alignment of 5 power conferences, I would like to see a 6-team playoff. 5 P5 champs plus the highest ranked G5 champ. CFP committee ranks the 6 teams. Top 2 get byes. 3 plays 6. 4 plays 5. Winners play top-2.

This setup fixes a few things with the current system:
1. It removes selection politics from the P5 conferences. (Just win, baby!)
2. It throws a bone to the G5 conferences to prevent anti-trust suits.
3. It forces ND to join the ACC.
4. It provides an extra round of playoffs.

Essentially, it becomes a 20-team playoff, considering championship games in all 10 conferences.

It's not bad, but honestly what everyone will argue is that non-conference champs are still some of the top 6 teams in the country. i.e. what if Alabama drops a squeaker to Tennessee in the SECCG...they're just out? They wouldn't stand for it...they'd instantly want it to be 8 so they get the at-large berth.

8 is perfect. 5 champs, 3 at large...leaves it open for G5 champ if they look really good.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
If I were the second tier Bowl, I'd see about scheduling the game on the same weekend as conference championship games and invite teams like LOLvl or WMich or tOSU/Mich for that matter. Let some non-champs put up another game for the playoff committee to see.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
It's not bad, but honestly what everyone will argue is that non-conference champs are still some of the top 6 teams in the country. i.e. what if Alabama drops a squeaker to Tennessee in the SECCG...they're just out? They wouldn't stand for it...they'd instantly want it to be 8 so they get the at-large berth.

8 is perfect. 5 champs, 3 at large...leaves it open for G5 champ if they look really good.
This is just my opinion of course, but I think if you study the film you could argue 6 of the top 8 teams are in just 3 conferences. Bama, Clemson, Louisville, Ohio state, Michigan, Wisconsin. Which would leave the other 2 confrences with one team each but I'm not even sure those teams are better than FSU, auburn, and pen state, because they play a way easier schedule than these 3 teams, and you could maybe add more teams into that. I do agree the way you said to do the top 8 would be the fairest way thought, but I just don't know if those would be the true best 8, but I honestly don't think you can ever really do it a "right" way.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Yeah. We all think we know who the best teams are. The only way I would support "at large" teams is if the field expanded to like 16 or something. This isn't basketball.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Yeah. We all think we know who the best teams are. The only way I would support "at large" teams is if the field expanded to like 16 or something. This isn't basketball.

I understand your point. I believe that 8 with all P5 champs is better than where we are now. No matter how much ESPN says it is, 4 is not better than the BCS. Teams have no idea what it takes to get into the playoffs. In 2013 if the Big12 had handled things better, it is quite possible that the undefeated reigning NCAA champion could have been left out of the playoffs in favor of four one loss teams. If you are undefeated, and win a P5 conference, there should not even be a discussion about whether you should be included in a playoff.

These are the kind of things that I have been saying will cause the NCAA to lose a lawsuit. The NCAA should not treat FBS any different than FCS, or Div2, or Div3. If they continue to treat FBS as entertainment and not intercollegiate sports, then I would vote against them on a jury. The NCAA cannot on one side of their face say they are all about student athletics, while on the other side run things purely as a business.

Jmonty71

Banned
Watching the game tonight, we can take Louisville out of ANY play off talks. Geez! I knew Houston's DC was good, but good gracious.

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
The NCAA cannot on one side of their face say they are all about student athletics, while on the other side run things purely as a business.

I am very sympathetic to your point, but they can, are and will argue that the business feeds the students. It's nasty, but that's the NCAA.

FightWinDrink

Helluva Engineer
Lamar Jacksons Heisman lead just dropped considerably
it's so big though without many challengers. UK has terrible defense and he'll probably do well enough to lock it up last week. He was 1/50 odds after the last weekend. Jabrill Peppers and Jake Browning both fell off last week. Alabama QB talk is just all hot air imo. Their defense is what is amazing about that team.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I am very sympathetic to your point, but they can, are and will argue that the business feeds the students. It's nasty, but that's the NCAA.

My point was not simply that they are hypocritical. They can continue to tell the fans and the media anything they want to, no matter how true or false it is. My bigger point is that WHEN the kids who are trying to organize now finally do, the NLRB or a jury on a multi-billion dollar lawsuit won't accept the two-faced arguments.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
This is just my opinion of course, but I think if you study the film you could argue 6 of the top 8 teams are in just 3 conferences. Bama, Clemson, Louisville, Ohio state, Michigan, Wisconsin. Which would leave the other 2 confrences with one team each but I'm not even sure those teams are better than FSU, auburn, and pen state, because they play a way easier schedule than these 3 teams, and you could maybe add more teams into that. I do agree the way you said to do the top 8 would be the fairest way thought, but I just don't know if those would be the true best 8, but I honestly don't think you can ever really do it a "right" way.

Why have any playoff at all if we're just going to go off what folk reckon based on looking at film?

I agree that tOSU and UMich are two of the best teams, and I also think that tOSU could put PSU into the B1G championship game by beating UMich. It's quite possible that PSU will be the B1G champ and that CU will be the ACC champ. Pitt beat them both.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I'm with Boomer, you should be a champion to compete for the Natty.

A good while back in pro baseball, before the wild card, it was just division champions in the playoffs. Then you had to be a League Champion to get in the world series, which is still true today. Sometimes you had better teams left out and weaker teams in. That's just bad luck, some teams had a harder row to hoe some years than others, but that was cyclical. However, each team had an opportunity to make the playoffs from day 1 and that's how it should be.

Anything else is a beauty contest or figure skating.