ACC in playoff?

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I think they should move it to a top 8, after Bama you realistically have 6 teams that could beat each other on any given day, Clemson, Louisville, Ohio state, Michigan, Washington, and Wisconsin. I've heard the argument about if you do that then eventually you will have to move it to a 16 team playoff, but imo there is a pretty big drop off most years after your top 6 or so and there wouldn't be a point in adding more teams because of that. I just think 4 teams is unfair when you could have 3 other teams that are just as good as the other top 3 or 4.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Is it possible the top 4 will be in this order Bama, Ohio state, Louisville, Clemson?

And if all these teams run the table they stay like this? But if Ohio state losses to Michigan then they could jump back in? Or if Ohio state beats Michigan but losses to Wisconsin, could Wisconsin jump in?

I think Washington is pretty much out of the picture because of their strength of schedule.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
I think they should have a Top Eight, force every Power 5 conference to have a Championship game, give each Power 5 Chanp an automatic bid and have three at large bids. That way pretty much everyone has a shot. Imagine that, if you're still mathematically alive for your conference, you're sill mathematically alive for a national championship. That would be pretty fun.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I think they should move it to a top 8, after Bama you realistically have 6 teams that could beat each other on any given day, Clemson, Louisville, Ohio state, Michigan, Washington, and Wisconsin. I've heard the argument about if you do that then eventually you will have to move it to a 16 team playoff, but imo there is a pretty big drop off most years after your top 6 or so and there wouldn't be a point in adding more teams because of that. I just think 4 teams is unfair when you could have 3 other teams that are just as good as the other top 3 or 4.

I've always said 8 should be the number. 5 P5 conference champions, best group of 5 conference champion, and two wild cards.

18in32

Georgia Tech Fan
Personally I think the playoff should only be open to conference champs. Even if that means that a 1-loss team like Louisville doesn't get to go but a started-slow team like Wash. St. does. I just don't see how you can be the best team in the country if you're not the best team in the conference. And if any conference doesn't like it, let them change their champion to a beauty pageant instead of on-field performance.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
What a weekend for college football! I've come to the conclusion that upsets are no longer fun anymore. When a upset happens the media puts a spin on it as "this conference got exposed and really just isn't that good" or "this team got exposed". Nobody wants to give the other team the credit for pulling out a good upset and it just ends up going back as looking bad for the conference. It's just not fun anymore.

But this brought back all the memories of what makes upsets fun! There is no way the media can spin this because every conference had them. You can pull the SEC dominance out when A&M and Auburn lose. Clemson and Michigan both lost to a 5-4 teams, Washington lost at home to a beatable USC team. Just a fun football weekend!

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
With the Pitt win over Clemson (FG to win game), does Louisville get a shot at entering the playoff? Louisville's only loss so far is to Clemson, but Pitt was unranked heading into today, which made Clemson's loss the worse of the two.
Still good. Everyone will have at least one loss except maybe Bama. If two losses, then no.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Is it possible the top 4 will be in this order Bama, Ohio state, Louisville, Clemson?

And if all these teams run the table they stay like this? But if Ohio state losses to Michigan then they could jump back in? Or if Ohio state beats Michigan but losses to Wisconsin, could Wisconsin jump in?

I think Washington is pretty much out of the picture because of their strength of schedule.

Is it possible the top 4 will be in this order Bama, Ohio state, Louisville, Clemson? It could look very much like that in the Polls this week. But I still see no way Louisville makes the 4 team playoff this year. IMO you will see only teams this year that win their conference even if one of them has 2 losses. The only way IMO that could change if for some reason Alabama did not win their conference I could see them still getting into the playoffs , but I don't see anyone in the sec east that could beat them.

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
But I still see no way Louisville makes the 4 team playoff this year.

If Wake Forest beats Clemson next week, then Louisville plays for the ACC Championship. If Louisville wins that game (and they probably will), then they will be in the playoffs.

Can Wake beat Clemson? It's a longshot but Wake is at home.

What if Clemson beats Wake then loses to VPISU in the ACC Championship game? Does the committee reach down and take Louisville??

What's interesting is that Louisville may be deserving, but the current system forces a 3rd party to beat another 3rd party for them to take the spot light.

/

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't know if many know this - but most likely outcome in BigInteger is Penn State vs Wisconsin for championship. If OSU beats Michigan but Penn State wins out, Penn state play for the championship. Penn State only needs wins over Purdue and Michigan State. Michigan is therefore gone and Ohio State will be hurting from not playing in championship game but probably make it in despite not winning their conference. So Bama, Ohio State. Who is left with 1 loss- Clemson, Louisville and Washington. A Washington loss probably puts Louisville in. Would be weird to have two teams in that didn't win their conference.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
If Wake Forest beats Clemson next week, then Louisville plays for the ACC Championship. If Louisville wins that game (and they probably will), then they will be in the playoffs.

Can Wake beat Clemson? It's a longshot but Wake is at home.

What if Clemson beats Wake then loses to VPISU in the ACC Championship game? Does the committee reach down and take Louisville??

What's interesting is that Louisville may be deserving, but the current system forces a 3rd party to beat another 3rd party for them to take the spot light.

/
Yes that would, and after this week I guess anything is possible. ( But being a Falcon fan you can understand my hate for Louisville's head coach)

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Personally I think the playoff should only be open to conference champs. Even if that means that a 1-loss team like Louisville doesn't get to go but a started-slow team like Wash. St. does. I just don't see how you can be the best team in the country if you're not the best team in the conference. And if any conference doesn't like it, let them change their champion to a beauty pageant instead of on-field performance.
I somewhat get what you are saying, but there is an argument that Louisville and Clemson are pretty even. Yes Clemson won but if they played again the outcome could be different. If a conference is weak why would you want them in the playoffs? Shouldn't we want the best games possible? I'm sorry but if pen state wins their conference and had to play Bama that would not be a fun game imo, but a Louisville vs Bama, or Ohio state or even Michigan would actually be a fun game to watch. I just want the best 4 no matter what conference makes it or doesn't.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer

CHE90

Jolly Good Fellow
I think they should have a Top Eight, force every Power 5 conference to have a Championship game, give each Power 5 Chanp an automatic bid and have three at large bids. That way pretty much everyone has a shot. Imagine that, if you're still mathematically alive for your conference, you're sill mathematically alive for a national championship. That would be pretty fun.
I like this plan because it essentially makes it a 13 team playoff since each power 5 championship game is part of the tournament (plus the 3 at large bids). It also makes it so more of it is settled on the field of play rather than a beauty contest.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
I like this plan because it essentially makes it a 13 team playoff since each power 5 championship game is part of the tournament (plus the 3 at large bids). It also makes it so more of it is settled on the field of play rather than a beauty contest.

Exactly. There's pretty much no way people could complain "it's not settled on the field" anymore. Also, between the Power 5 Champs and three at large bids, there probably wouldn't be too much controversy. Sure, occasionally there would be some 8-4 team that gets in a conference championship game and wins and gets in as a Cinderella, but most of the time, it would work itself out rather neatly, in my opinion.