ACC in playoff?

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Louisville is by far the better team and deserve the #4 spot

Agree, L'Ville is the better team right now. Maybe in week 4 Clemson and L'Ville were the same. The Clemson win was by a score at home. On a neutral field, I think L'Ville would have won the game.

Clemson is deeply flawed. They were gifted the NC State game by a missed (not forced error) chip shot FG @ home to end game. Clemson lost to Pitt @ home. As bad as our D is, we gave up fewer points @ Pitt than Clemson did @ home.

I think L'Ville gets the nod to the playoffs partly due to having the Heisman winner being showcased in the playoffs. 100% of the Heisman voters had Jackson as their current vote before the game. After the game that shouldn't have changed. Watson threw 3 ints yesterday (13 on the year). Which team do people want to see? (It's only entertainment after all.)

{Update: I only addressed Clemson & L'Ville. Which, if either gets in, depends on what others do. That is too much for me to consider the possibilities after yesterday.)

Last edited:

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
Clemson is deeply flawed. They were gifted the NC State game by a missed (not forced error) chip shot FG @ home to end game. Clemson lost to Pitt @ home. As bad as our D is, we gave up fewer points @ Pitt than Clemson did @ home.

I just had to quote this part so that can sink in. Our defense was playing at its lowest point for that game and did better than clemson.......wow to see that written down is a big problem for them.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Agree, L'Ville is the better team right now. Maybe in week 4 Clemson and L'Ville were the same. The Clemson win was by a score at home. On a neutral field, I think L'Ville would have won the game.

I think L'Ville gets the nod to the playoffs partly due to having the Heisman winner being showcased in the playoffs. 100% of the Heisman voters had Jackson as their current vote before the game. After the game that shouldn't have changed. Watson threw 3 ints yesterday (13 on the year). Which team do people want to see? (It's only entertainment after all.)

The only way Louisville should get in is if Clemson looses again, or if there is a 3 or 2 loss conference champion. They will probably move into the top 4 this week, but the CFP rankings right now are even less important than the AP and coaches polls. After the first year's final rankings, the committee basically said that they didn't have conference champions until after the conference championship games so they couldn't rank teams with all of the factors. The only way Louisville can get a conference championship is for Clemson to lose to Wake this week. If Clemson loses to VT or UNC in the championship game, Louisville will have to hope that another conference as a 3 loss champion also.

If Louisville gets in the final rankings over a 1 loss Clemson team who: has a conference championship and the head to head over Louisville:, then all of the proclamations of the committee about the factors they use to determine the rankings will be proved to be false. At that point, I don't think I will watch any of the CFP games unless GT makes it in.

We should have an 8 team playoff with the P5 champions, maybe a top rated G5, and two at large. At that point the committee can't keep anyone out. They would only set seeding and decide which two non-qualifying teams get a second chance.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The only way Louisville should get in is ......

I was talking about what will likely happen rather than what should happen. I think the marquee power of Lamar Jackson is enough to get L'Ville in if they win out. This is only entertainment.

My current favorite solution of what should be is 8 teams of conference P5 champs plus next 3 "most deserving". Or better yet 16 teams, but let's go to 8 first.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
I don't know if many know this - but most likely outcome in BigInteger is Penn State vs Wisconsin for championship. If OSU beats Michigan but Penn State wins out, Penn state play for the championship. Penn State only needs wins over Purdue and Michigan State. Michigan is therefore gone and Ohio State will be hurting from not playing in championship game but probably make it in despite not winning their conference. So Bama, Ohio State. Who is left with 1 loss- Clemson, Louisville and Washington. A Washington loss probably puts Louisville in. Would be weird to have two teams in that didn't win their conference.
In that scenario, OhioST would get in. Too much love from the committee. One thing we have learned, they love the Big and SEC.

Jmonty71

Banned
Bama, Ohio St., Clemson and......Michigan, at this point. Louisville needs a loss. Doesn't Michigan and Ohio State still have to play?

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
As of today, Ohio St and Louisville could win out, not play in their CCG, and be just a few of the one loss teams out there. Hmmmmmm!

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Earlier today, I saw some pundits say they felt the current playoff rankings should be:
1) Ala
2) OSU
3) Mich
4) Clemson

They put heavy emphasis on fact you could not put Louisville above Clemson since they are both 1-loss teams and Clemson owns the head-to-head. Obviously, this is (as of today) and with OSU and Mich still set to meet, that loser is out of the top 4 (I assume). It is interesting to me that 2 of these teams just lost and these guys felt they should remain in the top 4.

I like this time of year (and specifically what happened yesterday) when it all seems so simple/straightforward until there is an unexpected upset...... or two .....or THREE!!

GT03&05

Georgia Tech Fan
The playoff committee has talked about how they give credit to conference champs, and they have not (yet) picked a non conference champ over a conference champ. However, this could be the year.

ACC - probably Clemson, but maybe 3 loss VT or UNC
SEC - probably Bama, but maybe 2+ loss Florida or 3 loss Tennessee
Big Ten - 1+ loss Michigan/Ohio St or 2+ loss Penn St, Wisconsin or Nebraska
Big 12 - likely 2 loss Oklahoma or 1-2+ loss Okla St or West Virginia
Pac 12 - who knows! Washington, Wash St, Colorado, USC, Utah. 1-3+ losses throughout

Bottom line: there is not a way to get to a "clean" top 4. In the first CFP year, you had 4, undefeated or 1-loss Conf Champs and confusion in the Big 12, which made it easy to leave them out. Last year, you had the same thing, except it was a 2-loss Stanford that was easy to leave out. Also, there are a lot of non-"top tier" teams in the list above if you measure by historical perception, which we all know will come into account.

It could be an absolute mess...should be fun (y)!

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
It will be interesting to see who they pick if Wisconsin or PSU wins the Big. Or if some of the others stumble. Teams are beginning to play tight, and that leads to upsets.

Jmonty71

Banned
Auburn had no legitimate shot. One of their two losses prior to the uga game was against Clemson. Only SEC homers were giving them any hope.
Homers like ESPN??? Now with the loss, they don't have a chance. I still hope they beat Bama, though... Just to see the chaos get even better. To make things fun...let Bama lose the SEC Championship game. Now that would be a riot!!

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
SEC = Alabama
ACC = Clemson if they win out or UL as a long-shot
Big Ten = Michigan, OSU, Wisconsin, PSU, I'm guessing the UM/OSU winner and Wisconsin as a long-shot
PAC 12 = Washington if they win out
Big 12 = No shot

I'll pick; Alabama, Clemson, Michigan, Washington

Jmonty71

Banned
SEC = Alabama
ACC = Clemson if they win out or UL as a long-shot
Big Ten = Michigan, OSU, Wisconsin, PSU, I'm guessing the UM/OSU winner and Wisconsin as a long-shot
PAC 12 = Washington if they win out
Big 12 = No shot

I'll pick; Alabama, Clemson, Michigan, Washington
I think Washington lost their shot with the loss to USC. I think it opened the door to another team like Louisville, if anything. Ohio State and Michigan playing late in the year will prove to be a disadvantage to the Big 10. The winner is in, the loser is out. Depending on there is no upset in the Championship game.

Jmonty71

Banned
Just for kicks and grins.... Let's go into theory.

Bama loses to Auburn and then loses the SEC championship to Florida. Does the SEC still get a team into the playoffs??

Just think of the possibilities of chaos...