ACC Football Thread

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Because it is, despite some of the crummiest management and increasing political interference possible, still a wonderful public university still providing a quality education for a still reasonable cost (yes, it is a relative judgment) and because it is possible to be both a quality educational center and a football power without selling out ... and I know that has to be proved given past events. Regardless, it should not be left to the Miamis and FSUs of this world to contest a growing Clemson center of gravity. Not to mention that noise coming from Pitt and Syracuse. Syracuse is going to be particularly good in 2-3 years when it has finished implementing the Clemson model. A strong UNC football program resonates to the benefit of the ACC itself. I think they can be smug, and I don't mind an occasional slapdown, but they need to be good.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Because it is, despite some of the crummiest management and increasing political interference possible, still a wonderful public university still providing a quality education for a still reasonable cost (yes, it is a relative judgment) and because it is possible to be both a quality educational center and a football power without selling out ... and I know that has to be proved given past events. Regardless, it should not be left to the Miamis and FSUs of this world to contest a growing Clemson center of gravity. Not to mention that noise coming from Pitt and Syracuse. Syracuse is going to be particularly good in 2-3 years when it has finished implementing the Clemson model. A strong UNC football program resonates to the benefit of the ACC itself. I think they can be smug, and I don't mind an occasional slapdown, but they need to be good.

Nah.

"Need to be good" and "deserve"? Nah, they've got 18 years of cheating under their belt (that we know about). They don't deserve anything.

ETA: Wait, I was wrong. With the known cheating, they deserve to give back a lot of the hardware they've acquired the past few decades. So technically, they do deserve something.

The league deserves good programs at quality universities (and institutes) but that, in no way shape of form, has to be U(sic)NC.

T-Bone Burdell

Georgia Tech Fan

No.

SolicitorJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I always bristle when someone says that the game or the conference "needs" a particular program to be a strong contender. I think that reinforces the idea of a two tiered system of have and have notes that artificially inflates the achievements and rankings of "elite" programs and downplays those of lesser status.
The ACC would be just fine ( and more interesting in my mind) with Wake, Duke and Tech at the top and Clemson, FSU and Miami as cellar dwellers.

Same thing if you had Vandy and Miss St. playing in Atlanta for the SEC title and a trip to the playoffs.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
BVG is an abortion

FTFY
1141.gif

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
As mad as they can make me, both UNC and the ACC need and deserve a strong football program in Chapel Hill. They have tried it all: a grad who came back with a good program that was clean but didn't win enough, then Butch Davis and his outlaw recruiter who could win a lot with more outlaws on the field, then Fedora who somehow sold them on the idea of his "creative" offense ... that was being used by half the teams in the country. Plus at times he makes Johnson look like Rosebud. I hope they get a good one and don't let institutional arrogance get in the way of at least considering Satterfield.

That made me throw-up a little.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I always bristle when someone says that the game or the conference "needs" a particular program to be a strong contender. I think that reinforces the idea of a two tiered system of have and have notes that artificially inflates the achievements and rankings of "elite" programs and downplays those of lesser status.
The ACC would be just fine ( and more interesting in my mind) with Wake, Duke and Tech at the top and Clemson, FSU and Miami as cellar dwellers.

Same thing if you had Vandy and Miss St. playing in Atlanta for the SEC title and a trip to the playoffs.
Bristle a lot, do you?

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer

All else to the side, the "standings" of your fantasy would reduce the ACC to club football. Because ESPN and any other network would flee from a TV contract. (And I don't argue that club football is bad.)

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
1/5 of the top 25 hot seats are in the ACC ......... I think it reflects the overall ACC conference strength. But then I checked the Howell conference power ratings and the ACC is second overall ..... http://www.jhowell.net/cf/cf2018.htm (we are 55 and Duke is 30 but that's another post) I guess we just have higher aspirations.

Fuente will be very safe if they win Coastal. I don't think he is in trouble. It'll come down to the Miami game for them.

CPJ needs to make a bowl. That starts with having to beat Duke this weekend.

The rest I don't care about, I'd just as soon they stay and lose.

@FredJacket - several different SOSs in there.