ACC Football Thread

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
According to the College Football experts on ESPN Notre Dame may beat out Clemson for an NCAA Playoffs bid. Some of them are predicting the teams in the Playoffs will be Alabama,Ohio State, Notre Dame and UGAG.

People can say anything they want. If Clemson is undefeated, they will almost certainly go since they have been there so much recently.

UCF should be there if they are undefeated; otherwise they'll be the most recent back to back national champions.

The only guarantee I can make is that either UGAg or Alabama will lose a game this year (barring disqualification). That will knock one of them out if the rest are undefeated.

Point is there is a lot of football to play and people are going to talk up their favorite teams or the teams the corporation they work for tells them to talk up.

People can say anything they want. If Clemson is undefeated, they will almost certainly go since they have been there so much recently.

UCF should be there if they are undefeated; otherwise they'll be the most recent back to back national champions.

The only guarantee I can make is that either UGAg or Alabama will lose a game this year (barring disqualification). That will knock one of them out if the rest are undefeated.

Point is there is a lot of football to play and people are going to talk up their favorite teams or the teams the corporation they work for tells them to talk up.

Georgia now begins its real season. LSU, UF,KY, Auburn they will not go without at least 1 loss. Maybe 2

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
According to the College Football experts on ESPN Notre Dame may beat out Clemson for an NCAA Playoffs bid. Some of them are predicting the teams in the Playoffs will be Alabama,Ohio State,Notre Dame and UGAG.
Speaking of ND, they kind of demonstrate why folks say defense wins Championships. Their potent offense fell asleep in the first half against a good VT team at home where they very rarely lose. Their D kept them in the game long enough for their O to wake up. If they're undefeated at the end, they will be very hard to keep out of the playoff regardless of whomever else is undefeated.

smathis30

Ramblin' Wreck
Florida has an outside shot but i don't think UK can run the table as easily as Florida can. But as long as they beat uga and win out SEC, either of them is in the championship.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Willie Taggart Dead Man Walking. I think he could be canned in December.

You cannot be serious. Can you? In what world does a coach get fired after his first year?!!! Even B*** L****, the worst coaching hire in the history of college FB, made it 2 and 1/2 years. Has anyone ever been fired after year 1?

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
You cannot be serious. Can you? In what world does a coach get fired after his first year?!!! Even B*** L****, the worst coaching hire in the history of college FB, made it 2 and 1/2 years. Has anyone ever been fired after year 1?
A lot of big money alumni and supporters are very pissed off at him right now. Joe Kines at Arkansas coached one year in 1992 and was fired after going 3-6-1 after 10 games in Arkansas's first season in the SEC.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
According to the College Football experts on ESPN Notre Dame may beat out Clemson for an NCAA Playoffs bid. Some of them are predicting the teams in the Playoffs will be Alabama,Ohio State,Notre Dame and UGAG.
Clemson has a relatively EASY schedule. Even their ACCCG opponent could be barely ranked with 3 or more losses. CLEMSON will have a very difficult case to make over any other P5 1-loss team. They probably need to be undefeated to be in discussion.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I think we often forget how invested so much of a nation of CFB fans are in the ACC not being good. We are not that far removed from the talk among some of the Pwr4, treating the ACC as little better than the Big East among the BCS AQ. So, lots of people don't want the ACC represented in the CFP, and they hate CU for that reason.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Just looking at other teams schedules and we could literally win out in ACC play and still not make the ACC championship game with only 2 losses. Best chance imo is for us to win out and have Miami beat VT and then Miami lose to Duke or Boston College.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I think we often forget how invested so much of a nation of CFB fans are in the ACC not being good. .

This is another head scratcher. Why would anybody have any interest one way or the other about the ACC and its football fortunes? At times, the conference has been as good as anyone else. Other times, it has been fairly weak...this year being one of them. But why would some one in Arizona, Iowa, Mississippi or Pennsylvania have a vested interest one way or another? i ask this as someone who doesn't give much thought or attention to what happens in the other FB conferences.

1939hotmagic

Jolly Good Fellow
A lot of big money alumni and supporters are very pissed off at him right now. Joe Kines at Arkansas coached one year in 1992 and was fired after going 3-6-1 after 10 games in Arkansas's first season in the SEC.

True about Joe Kines at Arkansas in '92, but -- he was an interim HC, really, having taken the helm after Arkansas was upset by The Citadel in the season opener, and head coach Jack Crowe resigned after the game. (The Citadel was quite good that year, winning the Southern Conference title, defeating Army as well as Arkansas, going two rounds into the 1-AA playoffs before losing to a Youngstown State team coached by some guy named Jim Tressel.)

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Any team that has as many losses as ND will jump them if they win their championship game. Right now the only way the SEC gets two is if Bama or Georgia have one loss and are not in the championship game. Plus they have to hope the other three teams are not undefeated.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
I know this is an ACC thread... but on playoff discussion. For mainly chaos purposes... I really want the USF v UCF game (final reg season wknd) to be between unbeaten teams. Winner goes on to win conference championship the following week. Sits undefeated... & if it's UCF... on one of the longest (I assume) winning streaks in NCAA history.

A playoff field with Clemson, UGA, & USF would mean TECH faced 3 of 4.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
I know this is an ACC thread... but on playoff discussion. For mainly chaos purposes... I really want the USF v UCF game (final reg season wknd) to be between unbeaten teams. Winner goes on to win conference championship the following week. Sits undefeated... & if it's UCF... on one of the longest (I assume) winning streaks in NCAA history.

A playoff field with Clemson, UGA, & USF would mean TECH faced 3 of 4.
I think an undefeated USF or UCF would still be left out and wind up somewhere like the Fiesta Bowl.