ACC Football Thread

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I know this is an ACC thread... but on playoff discussion. For mainly chaos purposes... I really want the USF v UCF game (final reg season wknd) to be between unbeaten teams. Winner goes on to win conference championship the following week. Sits undefeated... & if it's UCF... on one of the longest (I assume) winning streaks in NCAA history.

A playoff field with Clemson, UGA, & USF would mean TECH faced 3 of 4.

To bring this back to the ACC, I want this to happen but for them also to make-up their hurricane game against an ACC team and get their butts whooped.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
You cannot be serious. Can you? In what world does a coach get fired after his first year?!!! Even B*** L****, the worst coaching hire in the history of college FB, made it 2 and 1/2 years. Has anyone ever been fired after year 1?

Van gorder at southern was run out of town quite literally. I was there I remember the actual calls in the student body for pitchforks

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
This week the ACC has 5 head football coaches on the Coaches Hotseat List

#4 Larry Fedora North Carolina

#6 Bobby Petrino Louisville

#15 Willie Taggart Florida State

#18 Justin Fuente Virginia Tech

#23 Paul Johnson Georgia Tech

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
There is nothing like a convincing win over a rival of questionable virtue to flip the entire attitude of a message board, and it is rewarding to see. I had the feeling for a bit that there was a growing attitude to just lose everything and be done with it. But as somebody noted, we got the death march back -- three or four of them in fact -- the long scrimmage runs back -- shades of Mississippi State -- a couple of triple options and even the former standby rocket toss came out of mothballs. (It needs some work and it seemed to me the trailing back and the QB were scrunched up together and the toss was tentative, but we ran it. I do not recall a game, at least at Tech under Johnson, that we scored on every possession ... and a field goal seemed almost a concession. I don't know what Johnson did, but certainly a couple of weeks of intensive QB coaching didn't hurt, but it didn't solve the fumbling problem on its own, either. I'll be interested to hear Johnson's explanation as the week progresses. Meanwhile I am enjoying it.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer

Fedora has to have both feet out the door and hanging on to the door frame for dear life. He dodged his allotted share of bullets in the cheating scandal and has no moves left for the losing scandal. It's a bad team and a bad program and at Chapel Hill there is no excuse for either.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Fedora has to have both feet out the door and hanging on to the door frame for dear life. He dodged his allotted share of bullets in the cheating scandal and has no moves left for the losing scandal. It's a bad team and a bad program and at Chapel Hill there is no excuse for either.
The word i've read is the favorite to replace him as North Carolina head football coach is Appalachian State head football coach Scott Satterfield.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
The word i've read is the favorite to replace him as North Carolina head football coach is Appalachian State head football coach Scott Satterfield.
As mad as they can make me, both UNC and the ACC need and deserve a strong football program in Chapel Hill. They have tried it all: a grad who came back with a good program that was clean but didn't win enough, then Butch Davis and his outlaw recruiter who could win a lot with more outlaws on the field, then Fedora who somehow sold them on the idea of his "creative" offense ... that was being used by half the teams in the country. Plus at times he makes Johnson look like Rosebud. I hope they get a good one and don't let institutional arrogance get in the way of at least considering Satterfield.

tsrich

Ramblin' Wreck
Clemson has a relatively EASY schedule. Even their ACCCG opponent could be barely ranked with 3 or more losses. CLEMSON will have a very difficult case to make over any other P5 1-loss team. They probably need to be undefeated to be in discussion.
Clemson is currently 11th in strength of schedule. They play A&M and USC-E out of conference. I don't think schedule strength will be a problem for them

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Clemson is currently 11th in strength of schedule. They play A&M and USC-E out of conference. I don't think schedule strength will be a problem for them
Fair. I was not saying they had an easy schedule. Those are quality non-conf opponents & good on Clemson for scheduling them. I was saying they have a "relatively" easy one. Relative to who it matters for CFB playoffs. Should they end up with one loss, I'm betting their SOS at end of season will likely be no better than 11th AND the teams they'll be fighting with for a coveted playoff spot will have better SOS's. ...but we'll see.

slugboy

Staff member

I’d be very surprised to see Fuente go. He’s done OK at VT. He just ran into a really good Notre Dame team.

I’d also be surprised to see Taggart go. I think he has at least one more year. FSU couldn’t block last year, and I can understand not turning that around in a year (though I think a JUCO transfer or two would have made this year easier for him). Remember, they sucked last year, and a coach usually gets a little time to turn that around.

I’m impressed if Louisville’s bank account will handle splitting from both Petrino and Pitino, who is suing. Plus, they have this: https://www.courier-journal.com/sto.../louisville-basketball-recruiting/1532845002/ . If basketball is in trouble, where does the Petrino buyout money come from?

I’d like to see Fedora hang on a few more years, which means he’s doomed. Especially since I don’t want them getting Satterfield.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Clemson’s schedule isn’t any more easy than uga’s but if uga’s only loss is to Alabama, they’ll be in over Clemson. It’s BS but it’ll happen unless uga loses another. On that same token, if uga loses to say LSU and then beats an undefeated Alabama in the SECCG, Bama and uga will both be in over Clemson. Clemson better start blowing some teams out or hoping for a Notre Dame loss.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Clemson’s schedule isn’t any more easy than uga’s but if uga’s only loss is to Alabama, they’ll be in over Clemson. It’s BS but it’ll happen unless uga loses another. On that same token, if uga loses to say LSU and then beats an undefeated Alabama in the SECCG, Bama and uga will both be in over Clemson. Clemson better start blowing some teams out or hoping for a Notre Dame loss.
I am not sure of that. I haven't studied the schedule but if Ohio State, Alabama, Clemson and Notre Dame continue unbeaten -- and on a personal note I hope ND doesn't -- and Alabama and Georgia play for the SEC title, then I think Alabama could lose there and still get in the NC because of past performances. (Unless it is a blowout.) That might jam things up, but if Clemson wins out, and NC State, FSU and Boston College await, then I think three straight NC trips and another ACC title gets Clemson in. Ohio State might not, because of past performance. I hope they don't have to run it up on opponents to get there, though. That is a nasty business.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Fair. I was not saying they had an easy schedule. Those are quality non-conf opponents & good on Clemson for scheduling them. I was saying they have a "relatively" easy one. Relative to who it matters for CFB playoffs. Should they end up with one loss, I'm betting their SOS at end of season will likely be no better than 11th AND the teams they'll be fighting with for a coveted playoff spot will have better SOS's. ...but we'll see.

tOSU has the #1 SoS, Bama has the #29 SoS, uga has the #21 SoS, Michigan has the #13 SoS, ND has the #14 SoS, Washington has the #23 SoS, Oklahoma has the #25 SoS, and Texas has the #16 SoS. All of the real contenders are in the top 30, and only tOSU is higher than Clemsons, so I don't think SoS will be as big a deal this year unless UCF (#110) stays undefeated and several of the aforementioned teams wet the bed.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
tOSU has the #1 SoS, Bama has the #29 SoS, uga has the #21 SoS, Michigan has the #13 SoS, ND has the #14 SoS, Washington has the #23 SoS, Oklahoma has the #25 SoS, and Texas has the #16 SoS. All of the real contenders are in the top 30, and only tOSU is higher than Clemsons, so I don't think SoS will be as big a deal this year unless UCF (#110) stays undefeated and several of the aforementioned teams wet the bed.
You guys... with your "data". Feel like I brought my trusty knife (feelings) to a gun fight. ;)

Where did you get the SOS stuff? How is it calculated? Is it based on games played only or projects remaining schedule.