ACC Football Thread

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
We are not an option offense. We are a spread offense who has option, power, and zone series included in the playbook. The great thing about the flexbone formation is you don't have to run option if it is not the best tool for the job. If the team isn't defending the zone option (or as you call it qb keep), then why would we call another play? Call the play giving you over 6 yards per play until they stop you. The offense gives us the ability to use the right tool for the job.
All I know is what the head ball coach calls it: spread option and yes, elements of run and shoot.
We are not an option offense. We are a spread offense who has option, power, and zone series included in the playbook. The great thing about the flexbone formation is you don't have to run option if it is not the best tool for the job. If the team isn't defending the zone option (or as you call it qb keep), then why would we call another play? Call the play giving you over 6 yards per play until they stop you. The offense gives us the ability to use the right tool for the job.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
All I know is what the head ball coach at the Institute calls it: spread option. He is known to get right testy about it.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
All I know is what the head ball coach at the Institute calls it: spread option. He is known to get right testy about it.
He calls it both "spread option" and "spread offense" in his playbooks. It really doesn't matter, you seem to have your mind made up. The name has nothing to do with what the offense is built to do. We line up and take what they give us. Call it whatever you want. I call it successful.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
He calls it both "spread option" and "spread offense" in his playbooks. It really doesn't matter, you seem to have your mind made up. The name has nothing to do with what the offense is built to do. We line up and take what they give us. Call it whatever you want. I call it successful.
Well, yeah. I have to say seeing that Tech is not an option team was the most startling comment I ever saw on this board -- like somebody posting that Paul Johnson won't watch Fox -- since for 10 years it has been an option team, and for 10 years called an option team, and for 10 years opposing coaches prepared even during the spring to defend an option offense, and since almost all of our plays are options of one form or another, yeah, I am pretty much decided.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Here are the ACC teams that Athlon thinks will go to Bowl Games and the Bowl Games they think they will go to

Orange Bowl: Clemson vs Notre Dame

National Championship Game: Clemson vs Alabama

Sun Bowl: Pitt vs Oregon

Belk Bowl: Virginia vs Auburn

Camping World Bowl: NCSU vs Iowa State

Music City Bowl: Boston College vs Missouri

Pinstripe Bowl: Syracuse vs Wisconsin

Gasparilla Bowl: Miami vs Cincinnati

Quick Lane Bowl: Georgia Tech vs Purdue

Independence Bowl: Duke vs Louisiana Tech

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Here are the ACC teams that Athlon thinks will go to Bowl Games and the Bowl Games they think they will go to

They must think UVa will beat GT this weekend.....

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer

What happened to the Gator Bowl?

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Bowls pick on record and attendance... the lowest bowl in a tier gets the worst of attendance/record combination. Bowls don’t like GT as we don’t travel well or fill 80k stadiums... at least that is what I think...
Every Bowl Game in Tier One whether it be the Pinstripe Bowl,Music City Bowl,Belk Bowl,Sun Bowl or Taxslayer Gator Bowl are equal in the Bowl Game setup.

slugboy

Staff member
Bowls pick on record and attendance... the lowest bowl in a tier gets the worst of attendance/record combination. Bowls don’t like GT as we don’t travel well or fill 80k stadiums... at least that is what I think...
We don't travel as well as Iowa or Michigan, but we do pull a respectable crowd. For last year, which wasn't a good season, we averaged 46,885 per game. We're a little behind UNC and NCST, but middle/upper ACC. I can't give bowl attendance figures for last season for obvious reasons.

whitegoldsphinx

Ramblin' Wreck
GT fans travel better than most ACC schools. Compare our away game crowds to other ACC schools coming to Bobby Dodd that aren't Clemson and FSU and we stack up pretty well. Why do people spread the narrative that we don't travel well? People start believing it, then bowls start believing it, then we end up in a crappy bowl that nobody wants to attend. Self-fulfilling prophecy.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
We don't travel as well as Iowa or Michigan, but we do pull a respectable crowd. For last year, which wasn't a good season, we averaged 46,885 per game. We're a little behind UNC and NCST, but middle/upper ACC. I can't give bowl attendance figures for last season for obvious reasons.

Home attendance isn't the issue. It's how many of our fans show up at away games. That's what he means by "travel well."

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
GT fans travel better than most ACC schools. Compare our away game crowds to other ACC schools coming to Bobby Dodd that aren't Clemson and FSU and we stack up pretty well. Why do people spread the narrative that we don't travel well? People start believing it, then bowls start believing it, then we end up in a crappy bowl that nobody wants to attend. Self-fulfilling prophecy.
Compared to ACC schools, maybe you're right. I'd add VT to Clemson & FSU. However, I'm still not sure we "travel well" compared to many P5s. I've been to quite a few ACC road games in NC & Virginia in last 15 years. My experience is we do not have significant representation at those games. Perhaps you're only referring to bowl games; but I'd bet there's a correlation.

...would be nice to have some objective data. Is there any?