ACC Football Thread

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Fwiw, replacing DC and 2 new Def coaches isn't "no action"

Well none of us can see the future. But new DC, with his choice of some new asst, but same S/T, same passing, etc is nothing new (no action, perhaps?) in 11th year

But, most importantly, 3 weeks from now will tell.

What will have changed.

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
Yea, though I walk thru the Valley of the Coastal, I will fear no team. Miami, stunk it up. LSU could have hung 50 on them if they hadn't called off the tigers. VT couldn't put away the worst FSU team since Wake beat them 30-0 in Tally. Alcorn State/FSU would have been a good game. UNC is already thinking about roundball. Duke looked OK, but we get them in ATL. Didn't get to see Pitt or UVA. In reality, it will be decided by how quickly each team can eliminate their errors and accentuate their strengths. The two teams that have the coaching and the athletes to beat us even if we are playing well are Miami and VT. So how much can they improve before they play us? The toughest team Miami plays between now and BC on October 26th is UVA. They might not improve much before then because they don't have to. VT coasts until Sept 29th when they play at Duke and then get ND at home. After playing nobodies for the prior three weeks, VT could be exposed in those two games.

How and how much can we improve? Probably we saw the pure vanilla defense on Saturday. Given that and the level of competition, about the best I can say about the D is that I saw enthusiasm and lots of rotation of players. Those are necessary, but not sufficient for significant improvement. So there is at least some reason for hope. Had AS put 25 or 30 points on us, I would be hopeless. On offense, I think CPJ has demonstrated that if we stay healthy, he usually can coax more out of the offense as the year progresses. Leaves turning and all that. We play what look to be solid, if not spectacular teams in the next two weeks. Clemson will surely test everything this team has. If we are going to win the Coastal, this schedule sets up nicely for incrementally stepping up the performance.

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer
VT looked sharp on D, we know what Josh Jackson is capable of, but they got some HITTERS on D. They were cracking FSU all night.

Francois is overrated and makes poor decisions with the ball in his hand

Miami got swallowed up again by the hype machine, but they will settle in and win some games.

Didnt watch NC State

Clemson is Clemson

GT kicking game, once again, is a huge liability. Parker Braun is All ACC. Defense will probably bail us out a few times this year.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
AND, LO!, THE PROPHET BARNHARDT HAS SHOWN US THE WAY! AGAIN!

I posted here awhile ago about a friend of mine who heard a talk about this season Barnhardt gave up in North Carolina. After assuring everybody that Clemson would win the ACC and probably go undefeated and that UNC would suck big time, he got down to the Coastal and predicted that:

• The polls were all wrong about Miami. That were lucky to win as many games as they did last year and he doubted their D would improve. A paper tiger, iow.

Check.

• That Virginia Tech would have a really good team and that they could play Clemson for the title.

Check. And …

• That Tech would have a good team also and could be the other side in the title game.

Jury's out. We'll start to see next Saturday if he's on track with prophecy 3. If so, I suggest a statute at Grant Field and a few burnt sacrifices would be in order.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
AND, LO!, THE PROPHET BARNHARDT HAS SHOWN US THE WAY! AGAIN!

I posted here awhile ago about a friend of mine who heard a talk about this season Barnhardt gave up in North Carolina. After assuring everybody that Clemson would win the ACC and probably go undefeated and that UNC would suck big time, he got down to the Coastal and predicted that:

• The polls were all wrong about Miami. That were lucky to win as many games as they did last year and he doubted their D would improve. A paper tiger, iow.

Check.

• That Virginia Tech would have a really good team and that they could play Clemson for the title.

Check. And …

• That Tech would have a good team also and could be the other side in the title game.

Jury's out. We'll start to see next Saturday if he's on track with prophecy 3. If so, I suggest a statute at Grant Field and a few burnt sacrifices would be in order.
We will have to sacrifice a virgin.

Taggart might as well resign this week. Hes not a superstar head coach. And never will be. He would be a great fit for a southern Alabama, or a UAB, or a mac team. Maybe a MWC school as well. But florida state? Nah. He cant handle that pressure and doesn't have the skill set to coach this type of team. I'm willing to bet by week 7 his team has given up on him and start running their own plays lol

agreed - he looked like a lost puppy in a thunderstorm out there. Honestly they should fire him now and just rebuild. Season's over for FSU.

Good.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Taggart might as well resign this week. Hes not a superstar head coach. And never will be. He would be a great fit for a southern Alabama, or a UAB, or a mac team. Maybe a MWC school as well. But florida state? Nah. He cant handle that pressure and doesn't have the skill set to coach this type of team. I'm willing to bet by week 7 his team has given up on him and start running their own plays lol
Taggart is the worst FSU head coach since Darrell Mudra in 1975. He will also knock the FSU football program back to the level Darrell Mudra had it also.

yep, and that was atHOME!

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
On FSU:

I was puzzled that all the pollsters thought that they would be just fine now that Francois was back. Yeah, right. He was recruited and had good success as a pro set QB. Now, all of a sudden, he was supposed to be great news in a hurry-up spread. Same goes for everybody else on O for them. Then add in that their OL was back. And it sucked big time last year. And their D was no better then normal. There's only so much you can expect in an opening big game when you've made massive O changes and the D isn't visibly better. Right now the players must feel like they are lost: everything Jimbo and Mickey told them to do has been thrown out and they just went out and massively failed with the new systems. Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of guys.

But I don't think Taggart can be written off so quickly. What he needs is a year or two and players he's recruited to re-make the Criminoles. Then we'll see.

Last edited:

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
On FSU:

I was puzzled that all the pollsters thought that they would be just fine now that Francois was back. Yeah, right. He was recruited and had good success as a pro set QB. Now, all of a sudden, he was supposed to be great news in a hurry-up spread. Same goes for everybody else on O for them. Then add in that their OL was back. And it sucked big time last year. And their D was no better then normal. There's only so much you can expect in an opening big game when you've made massive O changes and the D isn't visibly better. Right now the players must feel like they are lost: everything Jimbo and Mickey told them to do has been thrown out and they just went out and massively failed with the new systems. Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of guys.

But I don't think Taggart can be written off so quickly. What he needs is a year or two and players he's recruited to re-make the Criminoles. Then we'll see.
I do not disagree with you, but FSU fans are not noted for their patience. My niece, an FSU grad and very loyal fan, texted me after the decision to not review the TD play the refs said was short of the goal. She said that was the dumbest football decision she had ever seen. Maybe, but the screen pass on their own 1 yard line was pretty awful.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Teams fall apart all the time during the season ..morale drops. Miami has done it a few times. We have too.

I wrote “generally improve”. To disagree with this would mean that teams fall apart more often than not. That is not the case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk