ACC Football Thread

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
My initial thought from the first weekend...I wish we were playing FSU this year. Other than that, it's too early to decipher anything.

Would of been nice to open against them and possibly get the win. That way we have a ranked opponent beat early on.

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
...and I kinda wish we would’ve opened against Miami. They will look much better by the time they come to Atlanta.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is why I don't like knee jerk reactions when fans watch teams that are on our schedule later in the year. You have no idea what a team will be playing like 2 months from now or what injuries we or they will have.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
This is why I don't like knee jerk reactions when fans watch teams that are on our schedule later in the year. You have no idea what a team will be playing like 2 months from now or what injuries we or they will have.

No idea? You don’t think teams generally improve throughout the year?

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
VT seems to always look like world beaters in season openers then settle down to reality later, i really think Justin Fuentes is over his head and over-rated, without Foster he would be fired already.

I guess FSU got suprised by Jimbo leaving and Taggart was the best they could do on short notice? I give him two years max. The O system he’s runnng doesn’t match his personnel.

I have a great feeling that we beat Duh U in Nov.

Most of our ACC games are tossups to me, Duke, UVA, Pitt all worry me. If our defense rises up against usf then i’ll be feeling a whole lot better....

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
No idea? You don’t think teams generally improve throughout the year?

Not necessarily. If FSU goes 7-5 this year, we will look back and say that their opening game pretty much showed what they were for this season. Same thing for dah U if they only win 7-8 games. Some teams improve but for other teams, this is who they will be for the rest of the season. It's just too early to know which team is which. If every team improves as the season goes along, everybody would be playing their best ball in November and that's just not the case.

We played two of our worst games at the end of last season....why were we not improving???

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Not necessarily. If FSU goes 7-5 this year, we will look back and say that their opening game pretty much showed what they were for this season. Same thing for dah U if they only win 7-8 games. Some teams improve but for other teams, this is who they will be for the rest of the season. It's just too early to know which team is which. If every team improves as the season goes along, everybody would be playing their best ball in November and that's just not the case.

We played two of our worst games at the end of last season....why were we not improving???

No team’s performance is static, including our opponents. Barring injury, teams should improve throughout the season. Some more than others.

The Miami team I saw this weekend was not ready to play. That won’t happen again.

Answering your question with my opinion might cause this board to flare up like a pack of hemorrhoids, so I’ll pass. It’s probably best to leave last year in the past anyway.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Wonder if, before the season, many would have said a crossover game with fsu was easy (on their field)

Taggert - don't care, don't know. I have a feeling he will big time recruit but idk.

For all we know, um might be the best or 2nd best team in ACC.

VT may be average at best.

If we can beat richt 13 years in a row, we will be at 50% against him. No wonder we are so confident.

Pray CU beats aTm.

Our team may have problems that are the same as every year. Will know 3 weeks from now. "Wishing" them away with no action usually is not a path to success.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Classic overreaction Monday.

FSU – They continue to be an absolute disaster on the O-Line like they’ve been for the past 3-4 years only this time their idiot fan base ran off a good coach for someone who probably shouldn’t have even gotten the Oregon job and somehow upgraded after 1 year of going 7-5. He had the same problem at Oregon with regards to making any kind of in game adjustments. Maybe he can recruit well enough in the future to overcome his ability to coach.

VT – Looked about the same to me. Not overly impressed with Josh Jackson and their defense looks really good but is also capable of giving up big plays all game long. Their D is certainly good but all it takes is a few big plays and they don’t have the offense to outscore anyone. Just in case you haven’t watched FSU for the past few years, that O-Line is really, really bad.

UNC – Another disaster of an offensive line and a QB that can’t help much either. If he learns the offense some they might turn in an ok season but I’d say 6-6 might be their upper limit.

NC State – I’m pretty sure everyone knew they were a bit overrated but they don’t really beat themselves and I still think they’ll be at least 9-3 at the end of the year.

BC – Good O-Line and running game so if they can keep the passing to average they’ll be alright. The way their schedule sets up they could easily get to 6-0 or 7-0 and the confidence can start rolling after that so who knows.

Miami – There’s too much talent there to not be decent but they’re the same team that caught a last second TD to beat a ****ty FSU, an insane 4th down conversion to beat a terrible us, lost to Pitt, and got spanked by Clemson. Those turnovers don’t come that easy every year.

Honestly, everyone looks about the same as last year. We lost a crap ton of games from terrible special teams and Ted Roof’s awful 2 minute defense so maybe we can turn that around under CNW. We might as well call ourselves the SEC because it’s Clemson and then everybody else.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Classic overreaction Monday.

FSU – They continue to be an absolute disaster on the O-Line like they’ve been for the past 3-4 years only this time their idiot fan base ran off a good coach for someone who probably shouldn’t have even gotten the Oregon job and somehow upgraded after 1 year of going 7-5. He had the same problem at Oregon with regards to making any kind of in game adjustments. Maybe he can recruit well enough in the future to overcome his ability to coach.

VT – Looked about the same to me. Not overly impressed with Josh Jackson and their defense looks really good but is also capable of giving up big plays all game long. Their D is certainly good but all it takes is a few big plays and they don’t have the offense to outscore anyone. Just in case you haven’t watched FSU for the past few years, that O-Line is really, really bad.

UNC – Another disaster of an offensive line and a QB that can’t help much either. If he learns the offense some they might turn in an ok season but I’d say 6-6 might be their upper limit.

NC State – I’m pretty sure everyone knew they were a bit overrated but they don’t really beat themselves and I still think they’ll be at least 9-3 at the end of the year.

BC – Good O-Line and running game so if they can keep the passing to average they’ll be alright. The way their schedule sets up they could easily get to 6-0 or 7-0 and the confidence can start rolling after that so who knows.

Miami – There’s too much talent there to not be decent but they’re the same team that caught a last second TD to beat a ****ty FSU, an insane 4th down conversion to beat a terrible us, lost to Pitt, and got spanked by Clemson. Those turnovers don’t come that easy every year.

Honestly, everyone looks about the same as last year. We lost a crap ton of games from terrible special teams and Ted Roof’s awful 2 minute defense so maybe we can turn that around under CNW. We might as well call ourselves the SEC because it’s Clemson and then everybody else.
I can't see the Tarholes winning more than 3 games and Larry Fedora could be fired during the season.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Miami looked rough, to aggressive on D imo. They got sucked in and LSU was able to hit some big plays. Actually makes me feel good about our game with them. VT looks to be about the same as last year on offense imo, maybe more of a running game? On D I’ll wait to see how these new guys do over a few games.

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
No team’s performance is static, including our opponents. Barring injury, teams should improve throughout the season. Some more than others.

The Miami team I saw this weekend was not ready to play. That won’t happen again.

Answering your question with my opinion might cause this board to flare up like a pack of hemorrhoids, so I’ll pass. It’s probably best to leave last year in the past anyway.

My whole point is that some teams looked great this week while others looked mediocre and even bad, but we won't know who is actually good/mediocre/bad for several weeks. If dah U winds up being a 10+ win team, then obviously they would've improved as the season went along, but if they finish the season 7-5, the LSU game pretty much showed who they were for the 2018 season.

In a vacuum, yes, every team should improve as the season goes along, but that's just not reality.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I think our games with Clemson, Louisville, Miami, VPI&SU, and Duke are all going to be quite challenging for us. I do feel better about the Miami game than any of them, and worse about VPI&SU then before last night's game.

I still see us as a 7-5 team, maybe 8-4 if things go well. This weekend will tell us a LOT.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
If our first game had been against LSU of vpi, who knows how we would've looked.

Too early to say anything definitive.

I think vpi's O looks better than last year and their D hasn't fallen off much.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Wonder if, before the season, many would have said a crossover game with fsu was easy (on their field)

Taggert - don't care, don't know. I have a feeling he will big time recruit but idk.

For all we know, um might be the best or 2nd best team in ACC.

VT may be average at best.

If we can beat richt 13 years in a row, we will be at 50% against him. No wonder we are so confident.

Pray CU beats aTm.

Our team may have problems that are the same as every year. Will know 3 weeks from now. "Wishing" them away with no action usually is not a path to success.

Fwiw, replacing DC and 2 new Def coaches isn't "no action"

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
VT and FSU both looked like hot garbage to me last night. Weird play calls on both sides, soft play, and unorganized for much of the game. FSU in particular looked awful. Bud Foster will always have that defense ready to play, but their offense looked about like last year (not great). The ACC as a whole looked pretty bad week one. Clemson is still the second best team in the country and I think they are in a tier alone with Alabama at the top. GT has a chance to be the 2nd-3rd best ACC team if our offense starts clicking.

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
I don't think we improved much if any last year after our early games.
I don't want to turn this into a thread about CPJ, and that's not my point, but I believe this is accurate. If you look at our opening game against UT, it was a foreshadowing of our entire season. We had an offense and QB that looked great at times, but then went MIA in portions of the game or had costly turnovers. We had a defense that played ok at times but didn't create turnovers and struggled mightily at the end of halves. Our special teams were a cluster the entire season, just as they were that game.