ACC Football Thread

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
For those who think Tech has a lot of departures for whatever reason, Clemson has had its share but topped off yesterday when former QB starter Kelly Bryant, demoted to No. 2 after the day Trevor Lawrence had against us, announced he is leaving the school and will play somewhere else next season. He has one year of eligibility left due to the new and to me mysterious play rules this season. (Had he played even one down against Syracuse Saturday he would have lost it.)
Ah, hah! So that's why he left so abruptly. Thanks for catching us up on this. Personally, I look at NCAA rules the way I look at new computer operating systems: it's always better to wait six months or so before you try to find out what's going on and whether you should upgrade. Glad someone took the time to think this through and know the new eligibility rules.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Ah, hah! So that's why he left so abruptly. Thanks for catching us up on this. Personally, I look at NCAA rules the way I look at new computer operating systems: it's always better to wait six months or so before you try to find out what's going on and whether you should upgrade. Glad someone took the time to think this through and know the new eligibility rules.
The unfortunate thing, or maybe not, is that nobody over there or NFL scouts thinks that Bryant is an NFL prospect. They do think because of his size, speed and running ability he could play wide receiver but he rejected all suggestions he consider that. Swinney wanted to keep him but was honest with him. It is kind of admirable, in a way. The kid wants to play QB. He thinks he can. He is willing to transfer and try somewhere else next year to prove it. He is
Yeah, but, given the collection of creampuffs that got Puke to 4 - 0, I'm guessing that won't happen. The best team they've played so far is Army (2 - 2). I think they are in for an awakening, though how rude is difficult to say.
I believe this is called the horns of a dilemma, in that it appears statistically impossible for both of them to lose.

1939hotmagic

Jolly Good Fellow
The unfortunate thing, or maybe
not, is that nobody over there or NFL scouts thinks that Bryant is an NFL prospect. They do think because of his size, speed and running ability he could play wide receiver but he rejected all suggestions he consider that. Swinney wanted to keep him but was honest with him. It is kind of admirable, in a way. The kid wants to play QB. He thinks he can. He is willing to transfer and try somewhere else next year to prove it. He is

I believe this is called the horns of a dilemma, in that it appears statistically impossible for both of them to lose.

Dabo did do the right thing re Bryant being able to exploit the new redshirt rule -- but if Dabo hadn't, if he let Bryant play a bit against Syracuse this Saturday and then demoted Bryant, Dabo's reputation definitely would've taken a hit for using the timing so as to force Bryant, if Bryant wanted any hope of playing QB in college again, to stick around at Clemson as an unusually good back-up QB in the event Trevor Lawrence got injured in the next two months.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Dabo did do the right thing re Bryant being able to exploit the new redshirt rule -- but if Dabo hadn't, if he let Bryant play a bit against Syracuse this Saturday and then demoted Bryant, Dabo's reputation definitely would've taken a hit for using the timing so as to force Bryant, if Bryant wanted any hope of playing QB in college again, to stick around at Clemson as an unusually good back-up QB in the event Trevor Lawrence got injured in the next two months.
No question. I think Saturday vs. Syracuse, the only team to beat them last year when Bryant went out in the second quarter with an injury that hobbled in through the first quarter, and unbeaten so far this year, will be instructive for Clemson, the ACC and the NC race. Those four guys on the D front came back to win a national championship, and it will be interesting to see if they let this incident affect the game. I would hate to be the offensive line coach for Clemson right about now, losing sleep over the chore of keeping Lawrence vertical.

whitegoldsphinx

Ramblin' Wreck
He left because he feels that he is a nfl quality QB and wants to showcase that, unfortunately there really no-way any qb with those aspirations would come to GT to play in our offense.
He may feel that, but I doubt the NFL scouts think so. Hell, I doubt the CFL scouts think so. Ok Kelly, go out and prove me wrong.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
0% possibility. Guy is interested in the NFL - that cause won't be advanced in the CPJ offense.
Everything else aside, no way. The reason even if he were interested and he is not -- and he is reportedly a very good student so it's not the curriculum -- is that he was far too slow in making his option reads even from the shotgun and for the last two years Clemson has lost much of its passing game. Good runner, decent passer, bad option QB. With no NFL possibilities there at all.

Deleted member 2897

Looks still like Miami and maybe 6-2 takes the Coastal.

Louisville, Duke at home, Virginia at home, UNC, Virginia Tech - all winnable. 1 at a time. I like our chances against Miami at home. Damn CPJ and his stupid fake punt call!

Deleted member 2897

Miami with 3 defensive TDs.

What is going to happen when they play us? The TOs will be the difference, we don't TO and we can win.

I agree. North Carolina had SIX turnovers. Not only did Miami have 3 defensive TDs, but they also got a turnover right at the half where they kicked an immediate FG from it as time expired. So with 6 turnovers in their favor (just think about the starting field position on all those drives), the Miami offense only mustered 23 points. Their backup QB they started for the first time last night had 125 yards passing. Lot of football left in the Coastal Division.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I agree. North Carolina had SIX turnovers. Not only did Miami have 3 defensive TDs, but they also got a turnover right at the half where they kicked an immediate FG from it as time expired. So with 6 turnovers in their favor (just think about the starting field position on all those drives), the Miami offense only mustered 23 points. Their backup QB they started for the first time last night had 125 yards passing. Lot of football left in the Coastal Division.
Even better than all of that is that after this the insufferable egotist and worshipful grandmaster of offense and chief cheerleader for the goofy "Football is America" clique, Larry Fedora, will be yesterday's toast now, and the 7th turnover from the Miami game. Sorry. Can't stand the guy. Duke has Coach K, but at least he can coach. (And was I the only one who cringed when that player stood up ranting with that silly "turnover chain" around his neck? I had flashbacks to Jimmy Johnson.

Deleted member 2897

Even better than all of that is that after this the insufferable egotist and worshipful grandmaster of offense and chief cheerleader for the goofy "Football is America" clique, Larry Fedora, will be yesterday's toast now, and the 7th turnover from the Miami game. Sorry. Can't stand the guy. Duke has Coach K, but at least he can coach. (And was I the only one who cringed when that player stood up ranting with that silly "turnover chain" around his neck? I had flashbacks to Jimmy Johnson.

Looks like Fedora said something stupid at midfield after the game:

Maybe it was 'yo hit me up coach if you have any openings for assistant coach positions.'

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'd give us maybe a 10% chance to beat Miami.
We have lost 3 in a row and 6 of the last 7 to Miami. Richt is 15-2 against GT as a HC (improves to 23-2 if you include his yrs as an asst) and has never lost a game at BDS as an asst or HC.

None of the stats suggest that are likelihood to win would be very high. Much like Clemson they decided to replace their uppeclassman QB with a younster that gives them a higher ceiling.
I think we would need to win the TO battle by at least +2 or +3 to win. We cetainly can't keep fumbling at anything close to our current rate.

it would help if we could even have a threat of a passing game but our QB is sub 44% completion with 2 TD and 4 INT and avg a INT every 16 throws.