ACC Football Thread

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Not that it would have helped us had he left earlier. Lawrence is a beast....

Truth.

Also truth, Clem hasn't played a good team yet (#ShotsFired). I think they'll miss Bryant once they do. Lawrence is still a tFr after all. Even the great ones struggle at times.

Bryant lacked his ceiling but certainly has faced the 'fire'.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Not that it would have helped us had he left earlier. Lawrence is a beast....

That kid was a college QB as a sophomore in HS. Anyone that watched him play in HS and saw (and heard) the ball come out of his hands, and witnessed how advanced he was on all 3 levels of the field knew he was going to be an NFL QB one day. I saw DeShaun Watson play in HS, and I thought Watson was GOOD as a HS QB. Lawrence was WAY better at the same age. Crazy thing is, Lawrence is actually just as athletic as Watson was at Clemson, Lawrence just processes the game so fast in his head he almost never needs to scramble. As we saw, the guy can scramble if he needs to.

How big of a joke did some of the recruiting services become when they put Justin Fields above Lawrence? Lawrence is probably a future #1 overall draft pick, and he just unseated a guy that lost only 2 games in the last 2 years. Lawrence shut down his recruiting after he committed to Clemson, and he quit playing the recruiting game. Of course, the services need to drum up drama and ranked Fields above Lawrence. Funny stuff.

Sometimes I wonder how much of a factor GT would have been with QBs like Watson/Fields/Lawrence and other 4/5 star QBs that came out of GA the last 5 years. GA has become a breeding ground of elite QBs since CPJ came to GT. Unfortunately, our style of offense doesn't appeal to those QBs.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I just read a couple of articles about Joe Hamilton. One quoted the Fridge as saying that Joe ran through his progressions faster then any QB he had ever seen. Apparently, Joe had a very average arm when he came to Tech and had to work on building strength from the first. But the ability to read Ds at NFL levels was there for all to see. That was the main reason the staff stuck with him after his truly awful RForsh season.

Still, the only one of the "4/5 star QBs" from Georgia that I really regretted that we couldn't interest in Tech was DeShaun Watson. Lawrence can run, but you can tell he really doesn't like to. Watson was the best dual threat QB of his generation and ended up at Clemson. Too bad for us. Oth, we did end up with a right good country dual QB during that time. A 4 star kid from Alabama. Now what was his name? Like a lot of people around here I tend to forget.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
I just read a couple of articles about Joe Hamilton. One quoted the Fridge as saying that Joe ran through his progressions faster then any QB he had ever seen. Apparently, Joe had a very average arm when he came to Tech and had to work on building strength from the first. But the ability to read Ds at NFL levels was there for all to see. That was the main reason the staff stuck with him after his truly awful RForsh season.

Still, the only one of the "4/5 star QBs" from Georgia that I really regretted that we couldn't interest in Tech was DeShaun Watson. Lawrence can run, but you can tell he really doesn't like to. Watson was the best dual threat QB of his generation and ended up at Clemson. Too bad for us. Oth, we did end up with a right good country dual QB during that time. A 4 star kid from Alabama. Now what was his name? Like a lot of people around here I tend to forget.
I wish Joshua Dobbs would have played for GT. I think he could have done well in Paul Johnson's option offense.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

JeT was class of 2012
Watson was class of 2014

GT already had JeT. Doesn't matter, Watson flat out said he didn't like the 3O when we recruited him.

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
Interesting development. 16-2 as a starter. Sat behind Watson to get his shot. Swinney says " This is not middle school, got to do what's best for the team." Would take him in a heartbeat at Tech. Kind of like when Russell Wilson transferred from NCSU to UW. What say you ??

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Interesting development. 16-2 as a starter. Sat behind Watson to get his shot. Swinney says " This is not middle school, got to do what's best for the team." Would take him in a heartbeat at Tech. Kind of like when Russell Wilson transferred from NCSU to UW. What say you ??
I would take him in a New York minute also(y)

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I wish Joshua Dobbs would have played for GT. I think he could have done well in Paul Johnson's option offense.

Dobbs wanted to come to GT for our Aerospace program. He actually ended up being an Aerospace and minoring in Mechanical.

That's the kind of kids that were made to be SAs at GT. Unfortunately, he didn't feel he would maximize his football potential here. The guy did end up in the NFL, so hard to blame him.

Deleted member 2897

Wow, this is absolutely crazy. How many times have we seen this, and then the starter gets hurt and you're gone. College has turned crazy.

I don't want him here. No offense to him. What's he got - 1 year of eligibility? That won't do us any good. Plus, I imagine he would want a guarantee of starting or else what's the point of transferring...and we'd never do that.

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
Wow, this is absolutely crazy. How many times have we seen this, and then the starter gets hurt and you're gone. College has turned crazy.

I don't want him here. No offense to him. What's he got - 1 year of eligibility? That won't do us any good. Plus, I imagine he would want a guarantee of starting or else what's the point of transferring...and we'd never do that.
Agreed. Getting more like Bball every year.

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
Generally, I think players should stick it out. Start the best player. Linemen and other positions lose their starting jobs all the time. They don't IMMEDIATELY say they will transfer. Sometimes they do after the season, though.

Deleted member 2897

As an unbiased observer, Lawrence is a materially better quarterback. Dabo bent over backwards to give Bryant every chance to keep his job. I think he gave Bryant more time than just about any other coach would have given. With each passing week, the difference was more and more clear to me at least.

Here is the data from the Clemson / Georgia Tech game:
Kelly Bryant: 4 possessions: 3 punts and 1 scoring drive (rushing TD from someone else). 107 yards of offense. 1.75 points per possession.
Trevor Lawrence: 6 possessions: 5 TDs and 1 crazy ricochet interception off someone's back (0 punts). 350 yards of offense. 4 passing TDs. 5.9 points per possession...and that only limited by an act of God. :D

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
As an unbiased observer, Lawrence is a materially better quarterback. Dabo bent over backwards to give Bryant every chance to keep his job. I think he gave Bryant more time than just about any other coach would have given. With each passing week, the difference was more and more clear to me at least.

Kelly Bryant: 4 possessions: 3 punts and 1 scoring drive (rushing TD from someone else). 107 yards of offense. 1.75 points per possession.
Trevor Lawrence: 6 possessions: 5 TDs and 1 crazy ricochet interception off someone's back (0 punts). 350 yards of offense. 4 passing TDs. 5.9 points per possession...and that only limited by an act of God. :D
Wow ! I had not seen that ! No wonder, then.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Generally, I think players should stick it out. Start the best player. Linemen and other positions lose their starting jobs all the time. They don't IMMEDIATELY say they will transfer. Sometimes they do after the season, though.
Maybe, but he had played his 4 games and can still redshirt this year, can't he? I would guess without looking that was a major influencing factor for the young man.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

There's interesting argument to be made here.

If you go by the first 4 games of 2018, Lawrence is obviously the better QB for Clemson.

Of course, Bryant is 16-2 as the starter and took them to the playoffs last season.

Obviously, QBs don't live in a vacuum. There are other factors. Let's make this even MORE interesting:

Let's apply the same rules you just applied to Clemson to our own QBs. What would you say about TQM and Tobias so far strictly speaking in terms of their on the field performances?