ACC Discussion

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Brennan: An ode to the 2016-17 ACC -- college basketball's glorious, unpredictable mess
There's something even more beautiful about a 15-team league in which eight teams are in the top 30 of the KenPom.com adjusted efficiency rankings, in which just two -- less than 15 percent! -- fall outside the nation's top 64 in adjusted efficiency margin; in which 11 of the 15 boast top-50-or-better RPI numbers; in which no team is winless in league play; in which even the likes of Georgia Tech can beat North Carolina by 12 exactly three nights before losing by 53 points; in which the most efficient per-trip offense through five games belongs to the same team with a 33-point home loss to St. John's also on its CV (Syracuse, take a bow).
Keepin' It Interesting

Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets and Boston College Eagles

A league with 12 teams ranging anywhere from "pretty decent" to "really good" would be fascinating anyway, but it would absolutely be less fascinating on a night-to-night basis than one in which the obvious would-be bottom-feeders are a combined 4-5 as of Sunday morning.

Point is, there are no guaranteed wins in the 2016-17 ACC. There are no guarantees of any kind. Three cheers to that.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Nice article from Al Featherston on why ACC may not be able to get to 11 bids and tie Big East for record.
Basically comes down to the idea that the bottom of the BE that year was really trash that the top 11 teams beat up on, while this year's ACC is deeper and the bottom teams are better than those bottom BE teams, so fewer victories for the bubble teams. The bottom 5 teams in the BE that year were 6-57 against Top 11 BE opponents, 2 of them had 0 conference wins. BC and GT combined already have 5 wins.

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/2017/1/18/14307308/gaming-the-system-acc-basketball-ncaa-rpi

The article also talks about the gaming of RPI and how to have a high RPI without a really tough schedule. it comes back to something i have said in years past - you simply have to try to not schedule teams that are expected to be sub 200 in the RPI and especially sub 250, they kill your RPI. That is why Miami has a poor RPI despite having a good record and a solid ACC start - they played too many bottom feeders. it's also why UGA's RPI is as high as it is, they haven't beaten a team that is likely even a bubble team (Miss is closest and their only Top 50 win, but are projected to end around 85-90 in the RPI), but they have played almost no really bottom feeder teams, so it inflates their RPI.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
13 teams currently in the top 85 of the RPI.

We are #85
112 in KenPom

The rankings of the ACC in the various computer rankings is insanely impressive. They generally have 10-11 teams in the top 50 (or top 55), then a couple more in the top 75 with only GT (who is 113 in KenPom and 102 in Sagarin) and BC being below 100.

the goods news for ACC teams is that losses aren't going to hurt you much, the bad news is every game is going to be a battle.

But alot of opportunities for good wins.

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
Watching FSU v ND.. And man is FSU athletic - they've got a ton of weapons that they can throw at you.

That said, they can probably be beat by more disciplined teams, given the way they like to play and their relatively undisciplined nature.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Anyone think Brad Brownell may be coaching himself out of a job at Clemson.
Now at 1-5 in the ACC in a year they are expected to make the NCAA (despite that start most brackets still have them in - ACC is sort of ridiculous).

If Clemson wanted to make a move this season is the most beneficial one to Clemson over the next 3-4 yrs to do so

http://www.shakinthesouthland.com/2...wnell-contract-extension-my-extended-thoughts

Will be interesting to see how the rest of their season plays out. This has been the least Brownell looking team since he arrived - not nearly as good on defense as previous squads,

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I think he's their Mark Fox. Probably a good (enough) gameday coach but won't ever recruit well enough to get over the hump. Every 2-3 years will coach well/poor enough to justify an extension or firing.

ETA: Next thing you know, you look up and he's been there 10 years. Meh.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
Honestly, I don't think Clemson cares enough about hoops to make the move. If he wins 15 - 18 games overall and 5 or 6 in ACC most years and then has a "breakout" year where they win 23 and 8 and go to NIT or NCAA, I think he stays. the worst thing that could happen for him would be if Dabo is hit by a bus and people actually realize they have another team and it matters if they win or lose

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I could see Brownell being cut loose but I doubt it. Pickings are kind of slim right now though. A lot of moving and shaking the last few years. Keatts? McCall? Forbes? Gregory? Kermit Davis? Eh.....

Miller, Marshall, Enfield and Capel aren't going there. Jacobson is struggling this year and Clemson won't hire him. Kristowiak isn't coming east.

I often wonder who is going to take the plunge and give Kelvin Sampson his next job? Pearls popularity seems to be flickering a bit, could he jump ship?

Some interesting stuff but I think Brownell gets another year.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
The latest CBS Sports 2016-2017 NCAA Men's Basketball Bracketology says the ACC may have a record number of teams in the Big Dance and says GT has a chance to be invited.

http://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...record-for-number-of-teams-in-ncaa-tournament
Honestly with the way things are shaping up, there’s no way the ACC should get 11 invites. I’d rather not be the SEC of basketball where a bunch of mediocre records pass up better records because we are “beating up on each other”. It worked for the Big East a few years ago because like someone said, the bottom teams were atrocious. Even in 2011, Marquette probably shouldn’t have gotten in over St. Mary’s.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I could see Brownell being cut loose but I doubt it. Pickings are kind of slim right now though. A lot of moving and shaking the last few years. Keatts? McCall? Forbes? Gregory? Kermit Davis? Eh.....

Miller, Marshall, Enfield and Capel aren't going there. Jacobson is struggling this year and Clemson won't hire him. Kristowiak isn't coming east.

I often wonder who is going to take the plunge and give Kelvin Sampson his next job? Pearls popularity seems to be flickering a bit, could he jump ship?

Some interesting stuff but I think Brownell gets another year.

Will Wade is a Clemson grad. I can't fathom he wouldn't head home if offered.

Clemson just dumped a ton of money in to renovating Littlejohn (wonder who would want to do something like that?) and Brownell's another year in to a contract extension he probably shouldn't have gotten (like 4 years).

They actually have quite a bit of talent right now, already on the team and coming in next year (I wanna say 3 Top 100 kids).

I think Brownell will get another year, but the combination of clear choice, upgraded facility, & enough talent for a new coach to win immediately certainly give you enough to think about.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Will Wade is a Clemson grad. I can't fathom he wouldn't head home if offered.

Clemson just dumped a ton of money in to renovating Littlejohn (wonder who would want to do something like that?) and Brownell's another year in to a contract extension he probably shouldn't have gotten (like 4 years).

They actually have quite a bit of talent right now, already on the team and coming in next year (I wanna say 3 Top 100 kids).

I think Brownell will get another year, but the combination of clear choice, upgraded facility, & enough talent for a new coach to win immediately certainly give you enough to think about.

I did not know that..