ACC Discussion

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I bet ACC ends up with about 9.
ACC is really going to beat itself up and a few teams from other conferences will go on runs and rack up victories.

GT is in Palm's next 4 because of its record against the top 50 - 3-4 (with a 4th win against #55 NCST). GT needs alot more victories yet. Too many games against teams ranked 350 or worse (6 of them) really hurt the RPI. GT's resume against the Top 50 and Top 75 is actually stronger than alot of bubble teams, but it's RPI is so low due to playing so many bad teams. it's largely the same issue Miami has with the RPI.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I bet ACC ends up with about 9.
ACC is really going to beat itself up and a few teams from other conferences will go on runs and rack up victories.

GT is in Palm's next 4 because of its record against the top 50 - 3-4 (with a 4th win against #55 NCST). GT needs alot more victories yet. Too many games against teams ranked 350 or worse (6 of them) really hurt the RPI. GT's resume against the Top 50 and Top 75 is actually stronger than alot of bubble teams, but it's RPI is so low due to playing so many bad teams. it's largely the same issue Miami has with the RPI.

9-10 is probably about right, but the question becomes where do the teams come from to not put ACC teams in? Do sub-20 win ACC teams deserve it more than 20-25+ win teams from elsewhere. For instance, you'd typically think the A-10 should get 3, possibly more. This year, some analysts are expressing concern about the A10 getting more than 1 in.

It'll be interesting to see where those bubble teams come from.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I expect that games like lower ACC Pitt beating top of the BigI MD and lower ACC Clemson beating number 2 in the SEC USCe go a long way to setting expectations that a lot of lower ACC teams will get in. Even recognizing they are killing each other in conference.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
This year's Duke team reminds me of the UK team that started #1 and ended up losing to Robert Morris in the NIT.

Loads of talent but they play like a collection of individuals, not a team. And talk about horrific defense. Holy crap. They got shredded on dribble penetration all night

MikeJackets

Helluva Engineer
This year's Duke team reminds me of the UK team that started #1 and ended up losing to Robert Morris in the NIT.

Loads of talent but they play like a collection of individuals, not a team. And talk about horrific defense. Holy crap. They got shredded on dribble penetration all night
It's nice to see Duke struggling and I hope it continues!:cool:

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
I assume Duke will see the same type of transition other schools have when an all time great retires. UCLA dropped from dominant to very good. Gene Bartow actually had a better winning % than Wooden (85% vs 81%) but he was run out of town for not being Wooden. When Dean Smith left UNC, Guthridge took over a great roster and did well for one year, then the plunge to mediocrity set in. After the talent was gone, Gut retired and the debacle that is Matt Doherty came in and destroyed all remnants coach Smith.

When K retires, I assume he'll leave a stocked roster with lots of talent. Whoever takes over will do pretty well for a couple of years, but I expect a step down from K's success. By year three or four, the successor will be run out of Durham for not maintaining the level of success the fans are used to. Will be interesting to see who gets the job as sacrificial lamb and who is the second guy (more likely to get a fair shake)

MikeJackets

Helluva Engineer
I assume Duke will see the same type of transition other schools have when an all time great retires. UCLA dropped from dominant to very good. Gene Bartow actually had a better winning % than Wooden (85% vs 81%) but he was run out of town for not being Wooden. When Dean Smith left UNC, Guthridge took over a great roster and did well for one year, then the plunge to mediocrity set in. After the talent was gone, Gut retired and the debacle that is Matt Doherty came in and destroyed all remnants coach Smith.

When K retires, I assume he'll leave a stocked roster with lots of talent. Whoever takes over will do pretty well for a couple of years, but I expect a step down from K's success. By year three or four, the successor will be run out of Durham for not maintaining the level of success the fans are used to. Will be interesting to see who gets the job as sacrificial lamb and who is the second guy (more likely to get a fair shake)
Bill Guthridge did a great job guiding UNC to two Final Fours.