ACC Discussion

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I think he's basically gone already. No idea why any recruit would go there. (sorry @CuseJacket)

Ha! It's still early, don't get shook yet. Folks have some compelling reasons he'll still be there. I just think he's just that bad as a coach. He's wasting talent on a UGA-football level.

NCSU loses to BC
I am thinking I need to spend a lot more time on this avatar thing

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Neither NCST or BC plays good defense.
BC has 2 big time scorers - Robinson and Bowman, both are avg over 20 ppg in ACC Games so far. They get almost nothing inside though. Bowman has been a huge surprise as a FR, maybe even moreso than okogie.

BC has also had an easier slate to start the ACC which helps - Syracuse, Wake, Duke and NC ST. None of them have a winning record in the ACC - but still, impressive by BC.
The game in Atlanta will be interesting. GT is a much better defensive team than BC, but BC is a much better offensive team, with 2 guys that can really score it from the perimeter.

NCST is sort of a hot mess. They have a ton of talent, but they don't play like a team. I do wonder if Smith is better as a one on one guy than as a PG. He doesn't seem to make his team better and at times really hunts his own shots. Just a team that looks disjointed. I don't know if it is good or bad that we play them next. The fact we have to play in Raleigh and after a loss to BC may not be good for us.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
NCST is sort of a hot mess. They have a ton of talent, but they don't play like a team. I do wonder if Smith is better as a one on one guy than as a PG. He doesn't seem to make his team better and at times really hunts his own shots. Just a team that looks disjointed. I don't know if it is good or bad that we play them next. The fact we have to play in Raleigh and after a loss to BC may not be good for us.

Just keep it close. I have a feeling we can throw a junk zone at them late and completely stifle them while Gonefried frantically searches for an answer.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I will say their fanbase is definately getting hot.

Gott's postgame comments certainly didn't help his cause and really seemed to have caused some of his fanbase to jump off the train.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
The "we got better" headline isn't playing well and will play worse as the local radio guys come on this afternoon This could be bad for him for that commentary to echo around for a couple of days

I know some guys who help train Smith and they rave about him. He obviously has scoring skills. Just doesn't seem to help the rest of his team. And Yurtseven is supposed to be a first round pick but they are not getting anything out of him

NCSU committed to a revamped coaching staff and had a ton of talent coming in or becoming eligible over last year. Yes it is early but I don't blame pack fans for being upset. Their window to the tourney is getting small and this team has 2 projected first round picks and a lot of supporting talent. That should be tourney bound easily. But at this point they don't seem to have the heart

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
The "we got better" headline isn't playing well and will play worse as the local radio guys come on this afternoon This could be bad for him for that commentary to echo around for a couple of days

I know some guys who help train Smith and they rave about him. He obviously has scoring skills. Just doesn't seem to help the rest of his team. And Yurtseven is supposed to be a first round pick but they are not getting anything out of him

NCSU committed to a revamped coaching staff and had a ton of talent coming in or becoming eligible over last year. Yes it is early but I don't blame pack fans for being upset. Their window to the tourney is getting small and this team has 2 projected first round picks and a lot of supporting talent. That should be tourney bound easily. But at this point they don't seem to have the heart

Why does all of this remind me so much of the Hewitt era at GT?

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I can see why the NC ST fans are upset.

You get Terry Henderson back from injury. You get Torin Dorn after his redshirt. Then you add a recruiting class that is considered Top 5, Top 10 at worse.
Dennis Smith was considered the best PG in the class by some and he had been on campus since the previous Jan to help recover from an injury.
You get a supposed NBA big from Turkey
Capita was a Top 50 F
Johnson was a 4* PG

Expectations were quite high.

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
It says Leonard Hamilton and Josh Pastner are the leading candidates for ACC coach of the year. At least in my book.

and if lammers continues his current play? and okie.... lets make it a sweep with foty and poty.

is it lost on anybody that this is a bc type of bb with only 7 guys getting most of the minutes etc. i can still remember bobby harping on chemistry every year without fail. i think that is another dimension to this team we dont discuss much.

with each win we gain more confidence which does nothing but make us better.