ACC Discussion

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
That is probably the best ACC blog site i've seen.

I can't disagree with anything the author said. It will be interesting to see his reviews of the other ACC Teams as all the other ones already done are the top teams in the conference.

His comment about needing an alpha is spot on imo. I don't think we have one.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Yep..sometimes the truth hurts. I will say that I feel strongly that brighter days are ahead. I'm not convinced that it is with the current regime, but with Bobiniski leading the way, and soon being out from under the CPH buyout, I think that we will see the basketball program soon begin trending upward.

With that said, it sure would be nice to do it the easy way for once and actually have one of our teams exceed expectations and make a nice run. In my opinion, all it would take is for a couple of years of sustained growth/success for things to begin to change.

That or landing a certain all-world amateur currently playing for Wheeler HS.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
"The team isn’t aesthetically pleasing to watch. Everyone loves their jumper, the ball doesn’t move."

They've shown flashes they can be, but don't consistently do it. When they made the adjustment to move the ball vs. USC-U, we took the lead. Ball stopped moving and too many jumpers, USC-U pounced & beat us down the stretch.

There's talent here, but its potential is not being maximized.

Well written article.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
While this does not excuse the USC Upstate loss, which is a bad loss any way you look at it. Just further examples that it isn't nearly as unusual as fans think.
Last night Nebraska lost to University of the Incarnate Word - a program moving up to Div 1.
And Tulsa and Frank Haith lost to Div II SE Oklahoma. FWIW, The American is having a rotten season so far and could end up being a 1 bid conference if they aren't careful.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
While this does not excuse the USC Upstate loss, which is a bad loss any way you look at it. Just further examples that it isn't nearly as unusual as fans think.
Last night Nebraska lost to University of the Incarnate Word - a program moving up to Div 1.
And Tulsa and Frank Haith lost to Div II SE Oklahoma. FWIW, The American is having a rotten season so far and could end up being a 1 bid conference if they aren't careful.

Red,

In your opinion (which I respect highly), is this rash of upsets a result of the evening out of basketball talent everywhere so there is far less difference between old big time programs and new upstarts? Or is it more of a withering of fundamentals everywhere, bringing the overall talent level down, combined with losing the exceptional kids to the NBA (after one year).

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
To me its a combination of things.
1. Talent except for a handful of true blue bloods is not as big a difference as it once was (three point line also helps alot).
2. Fundamentals are not as good across the board and these teams often have alot of upperclassmen that just play better.
3. These are 18-22 kids, they are not robots or fantasy players. They don't play with the same intensity and focus every night. They also have other things going on -especially right now. The small team is always up for these games because of who they are playing, the reverse is not true.

As Izzo said last week. It's December, upsets happen. He also mentioned kids seem to get distracted, thinking about Christmas break, thinking about finals, thinking about girlfriends.

Unfortunately I was around for one of the very first upsets of this kind. When College of Charleston with John Kresse coaching came to Alexander and whipped Cremins' team. That was not a fun game to be in the stands for. CoC didn't just beat GT that night, they really embarrassed them - they played so much harder, so much better. I stayed for that whole game (arena was probably only half full anyways) and it was a horrible feeling walking out knowing not just that you lost, but that CoC was clearly the better team that night.

RamblinRed

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
That's bad news for FSU. They've been struggling without Thomas and Bookert. With the slow start and that news hard to see them as an NCAA team this season.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Not ACC-related but UMich is getting absolutely boat-raced by Ariz. Anybody else watching this. 72-40 with 7min left and Ariz has taken it's foot off the gas.

Beilein is a great coach so I know they'll bounce back but they've run into a buzzsaw tonite. Mich's bad losses the past few games look to be due to youth at key positions.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
FSU doesn't look nearly as strong as 3-4 years ago and it really falls on the defense. They simply are not as strong defensively. they never were great offensively but could really lock you down defensively.

ND looks really good ,especially on offense. The one thing that might hurt them long term is they are not deep. Their starting 5 played 85% of their minutes tonight. With Beachem out they really have little bench. Even with Beachem it is largely a 6 person team. That could come back to hurt them late in the season (As has happened to Duke a couple of times) as the kids get tired. On the year their starting 5 is playing 76% of the minutes.

Pitt struggled with St. Bonaventure tonight. Pitt looks alot like GT. They really don't have a great scorer and their defense is not as strong as normal.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
FSU doesn't look nearly as strong as 3-4 years ago and it really falls on the defense. They simply are not as strong defensively. they never were great offensively but could really lock you down defensively.
Plus, losing Aaron Thomas hurts them a lot. Not sure what he did wrong, but they don't have a true scorer on the team without him.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Outside of the top 5-6 in the ACC, I think almost everyone now has a pretty bad loss.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Hess is the worst.

Meanwhile, Cuse just squeaked by a very good Louisiana Tech squad at home.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Clemson has one of the more interesting schedules in the conference.
They have losses to 2 Big South teams (and nearly lost to a third), but has wins over LSU (neutral), Arkansas (at home - not a huge shock, ARK plays well at home and bad on road) and Auburn (home). They have a road game at USC-e later this week. Can they go 4-0 against the SEC.

Right now LSU and ARK are the number 2 and 3 ranked teams in the SEC in the ratings. - Gives you an idea of how that conference is performing this fall. FWIW UGA is currently #4.