ACC Discussion

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
In other news, twitter is reporting that Clemson just pulled a Chris Webber. Sounds like they're Case Study #1 for ability to improve in-season, because otherwise, the game at Clemson is going in my likely wins bucket for this year.

Last edited:

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Last Clemson comment for the afternoon... Brad Brownell is a pretty good coach, but I'd love for them to totally tank this season, if only for the fact that DRad's lazy *** just extended him for like 4 years or something.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Clemson is really missing KJ McDaniels. He hid so many other flaws.
They basically have one big with Nnoko and then play 2 combo forwards (FR Graham - who i like alot and Blossingame - who doesn't seem like he has progressed alot). No real backups inside. On the perimeter they still struggle to shoot the ball and their defense doesn't seem as tight. Not a particularly strong ballhandling team either.

Miami is off to another easy win. They look like an NCAA team. They are suspect inside. They basically get nothing from the 4 and Jekiri is primarily a defensive 5, but their perimeter is really strong with Rodriguez and McClellan eligible this season and Lecomte having a strong SO year. They really score well from the perimeter and have talented depth there.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Very early impressions for the season is there's a clear top tier: Duke, UNC, Syracuse, and Louisville.

Beyond that, GT has a really good chance to fall in the 2nd tier of teams in the ACC based on early showings. I said in an another thread that we have a good chance at a Top-8 finish in the ACC and I'm sticking to it. I haven't watched every ACC team play yet, and it's still early, so feel free to correct me if I'm off base.

I think it's evident that we're going to live and die by the performances of Cox and Mitchell, and hopefully a perimeter threat or someone that can create their own shots (QS?, MGH?, TJ?). If Cox and Mitchell are off at the same time, we may be in trouble. Play at the 1 has been promising so far, but we won't know for sure until probably the next week, when the schedule ratchets up, what we really have there...but early returns is it won't be a liability like it has been.

Unlike the past two or three seasons, I'm actually excited to find out.

Atomic Jacket

Banned
Very early impressions for the season is there's a clear top tier: Duke, UNC, Syracuse, and Louisville.

Beyond that, GT has a really good chance to fall in the 2nd tier of teams in the ACC based on early showings. I said in an another thread that we have a good chance at a Top-8 finish in the ACC and I'm sticking to it. I haven't watched every ACC team play yet, and it's still early, so feel free to correct me if I'm off base.

I think it's evident that we're going to live and die by the performances of Cox and Mitchell, and hopefully a perimeter threat or someone that can create their own shots (QS?, MGH?, TJ?). If Cox and Mitchell are off at the same time, we may be in trouble. Play at the 1 has been promising so far, but we won't know for sure until probably the next week, when the schedule ratchets up, what we really have there...but early returns is it won't be a liability like it has been.

This week was quite revealing. I'm now seeing 7 ACC wins for Georgia Tech in the regular season, up from 3 ACC wins last week.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

I agree. The key points coming up are the Orlando Tournament and Dayton. It looks like a down year, again, for Northwestern (OT win v. Elon) and I don't think Vandy will be a good team this year. Marquette looks stronger than I predicted before the season. But, my thoughts before the season were that 10-2 by the EOY 2014 would mean we had made significant progress. I am still holding to that.

VPI and Clemson on the road look winnable now, but it's a long time til February.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think Marquette will pose challenges, but we'll have an idea this week if Charlotte is a really tough situation.

Meanwhile, on ESPNU, FSU is in a chippy battle with UMass. Tied at 51 with under 11 to go.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
ND goes down in a tight game to Providence, but they looked tough.

FSU ended up losing to a very good UMass team, with Aaron Thomas missing 2H with dehydration. Seemed to just have execution difficulties at the end, given youth of some players.

Dayton/BC on ESPN2 with the Flyers up early.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Miami destroyed Charlotte 77-58

Yeah, I watched a good bit of that game, but mostly the first half. Maybe Charlotte is not as good as seemed, especially without their PG. I missed his injury, but he never returned.

OTOH Miami looks really good. I was impressed with their guards. They will be tough for us. They shoot the lights out and Sheldon is a load.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
The SEC got another face slap last night when Auburn clanged up 35 points in their loss to Tulsa. They shot 30% from the floor, which included 2-22 from 3-point range.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
UGA is going to rack up wins in the SEC again. LSU has talent but it isn't meshing at all. SC is still in build mode. It will be a couple of years for Pearl to get Auburn going.
Vandy is not as strong as a couple of years ago.
KY is going to smoke everybody in that conference. FL is really struggling early. Lost to Miami at home and needed overtime to beat LA-Monroe.
Arkansas looks good at home but they tend to do poorly on the road. I could easily see UGA finishing in the top3-4 in the SEC.