ACC Discussion 2022

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
Haven’t seen any unc this year. FSU, I see as our toughest matchup from what I’ve seen. Lots of team speed and great runner in Travis, who is Lamar Jackson compared to the Duke kid we just played, who ran pretty well against our D.
Good news for us is their kicker is bad, they are turnover prone, and don’t have a go-to receiver.

It remains to be seen how Cristobal will hold Miami together, but this is historically when they go into “loser limp” mode for the rest of the year.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Haven’t seen any unc this year. FSU, I see as our toughest matchup from what I’ve seen. Lots of team speed and great runner in Travis, who is Lamar Jackson compared to the Duke kid we just played, who ran pretty well against our D.
Good news for us is their kicker is bad, they are turnover prone, and don’t have a go-to receiver.

It remains to be seen how Cristobal will hold Miami together, but this is historically when they go into “loser limp” mode for the rest of the year.

Going into the Miami game, UNC's OFEI was #11...however, their defense is pretty putrid...actually worse than ours with DFEI of #113. Which tells me Miami is bad because they managed to only score 21 points.

FSU statistically has a good offense. OFEI #30, and an average defense DFEI #53.

All of those teams have talent, so you can never discount that. Will be an interesting set of games for us.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, I do. I don't, however, think he could touch the top of either Armstrong or Hartman's cleats. They are that much better. Imho, of course.
Legitimately about your opinion about Armstrong now that he’s one of the lower rated QBs in the nation. Is he one of those guys who can’t make players around him better and needs help? Surely he’s neither as good as last year, nor as bad as this year.

Last edited:

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
FSU, UNC, Miami scare me the most out of our remaining ACC schedule. FSU and Miami are just not playing up to their talent level, but it scares me when a team does have that kind of talent and we have to play them. I don't want to be the team they "wake up" against. UNC has an elite offense...they can put up some points. IMO, we're a going to be a big underdog against them.

If we can handle business against UVA (thank the football God it's not in Charlottesville) and VT, we'll need a win against one of Miami/FSU/UNC to go bowling. Crazy to even discuss this, but if we go 2 for 3 against those team, there's a chance we could be playing in an ACCCG. Let's not count our chickens before they hatch...but even thinking that was absurd two weeks ago.
Here’s my gold-tinted glasses scenario:

There are still a lot of games to be played but we are starting to see some data and trends. As of today, we (2-1 ACC) are second to North Carolina (2-0) in the Coastal.

Likely Wins: Virginia, VT. Those teams look much worse than us on paper now. Getting Virginia after our Bye week should help continue our journey of ‘learning how to win” as CBK says.

Probable Win if we continue playing solid D and avoid critical injuries: Miami. They’ve lost their last 3 and don’t look anything like the good team they seemed to be after their first couple of games. We also get them after their typically slugfest rivalry game against FSU.

"Possible" Win if we continue to address our weak areas: FSU. FSU (4-2) is an improved team this year. They’ve dropped their last two, but against very good Wake and NC St. teams. A couple of their wins were very close. I’d say they are a slightly above-average-to-good team. This game could be critical for us in the Coastal race. Unfortunately it’s in Tally.

Win those above (big IF, but doable) and we will be 6-1 going into the NC game. They still have to play the very good Wake and NC St. teams which are probable losses for them. I don't think we can score enough to beat NC, and a loss to them would yield identical ACC records (6-2). NC would own the tiebreaker with us placing 2nd. However, if NC drops another game (Pitt, for example), we could be going to Charlotte even if we lose to them.

Does this scenario sound crazy?

buzz_wiser©

Helluva Engineer

There are still a lot of games to be played but we are starting to see some data and trends. As of today, we (2-1 ACC) are second to North Carolina (2-0) in the Coastal.

Likely Wins: Virginia, VT. Those teams look much worse than us on paper now. Getting Virginia after our Bye week should help continue our journey of ‘learning how to win” as CBK says.

Probable Win if we continue playing solid D and avoid critical injuries: Miami. They’ve lost their last 3 and don’t look anything like the good team they seemed to be after their first couple of games. We also get them after their typically slugfest rivalry game against FSU.

"Possible" Win if we continue to address our weak areas: FSU. FSU (4-2) is an improved team this year. They’ve dropped their last two, but against very good Wake and NC St. teams. A couple of their wins were very close. I’d say they are a slightly above-average-to-good team. This game could be critical for us in the Coastal race. Unfortunately it’s in Tally.

Win those above (big IF, but doable) and we will be 6-1 going into the NC game. They still have to play the very good Wake and NC St. teams which are probable losses for them. I don't think we can score enough to beat NC, and a loss to them would yield identical ACC records (6-2). NC would own the tiebreaker with us placing 2nd. However, if NC drops another game (Pitt, for example), we could be going to Charlotte even if we lose to them.

its inspiring and amazing we are even able to have this discussion...
keep on with the one game seasons JACKETS!

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer

I think it’s plausible.

The way I see it, both us and UVA have byes this week in preparation for the Thursday night game. We’re coming off a high, they’re coming off a low. They’ve lost 3 in a row including 2 pretty bad beat downs against Duke and Louisville. We’ve won 2 close games that could’ve very easily went the other way. We’ll be playing at home with (hopefully) a very energized crowd and I think we’ll be able to hold on in another game that’s close on the scoreboard but that we control the game in. Very similar to how Duke played out.

We get another long week to prepare for FSU, who will be coming off a bye week and a game against Clemson. It’s very likely they will also have 3 straight losses coming into our game with a lot of time to prepare. We could also be a trap game for them, as we are sandwiched between Clemson and Miami on their schedule, but their bye week may mitigate some of that. It’s hard to go into Tallahassee and win, and I think they’re going to be hungry after the Clemson game and a bye week. I think we drop a close one to FSU, kind of the opposite of the Duke game. FSU controls the game but we hang around and keep it close and give ourselves a chance to win. That would put us at 4-4 and 3-2 in conference.

I think we answer big time the next week against VT. They will have just played NC ST on the road in what will likely be a very lopsided game. The Lane Stadium crowd will be small and disinterested. A VT team that’s already not very good. We’ll be coming off our first loss in the Key era and the team will respond with a lot of energy. I think we dominate in all 3 phases of the game and leave Blacksburg with something like a 31-10 victory. That’s gets us to 5-4 and 4-2.

Next week is a home game against Miami. I think this draws the best GT crowd since the 2018 game against Miami. Definitely not a sell out but somewhere in the 45k range. Miami gets FSU at home the week before us. Cristobal’s first real barometer for what he’s going to do. I think they edge out FSU in a heart racing thriller, but can’t settle down enough to get prepared for our game. They make mistakes early, turnovers and penalties. We take advantage and get out ahead early. They make a ferocious comeback but it’s not enough, as the BDS crowd causes chaos on Miami’s last possession of the game. We escape with a 30-28 victory and get bowl eligible at 6-4 and 5-2.

UNC rolls through their next 3 games of Duke, Pitt, and UVA. They’re sitting at 8-1 and 5-0 with their only loss coming to Notre Dame. They get ready for a top 20 matchup against Wake Forest, who just dropped a game to NC St. Wake rallies after an in-state loss to hold off the Tar Holes at home, dropping UNC to 8-2 and 5-1. That means the GT vs. UNC game is for the Coastal title. The rest is to be continued…

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Legitimately about your opinion about Armstrong now that he’s one of the lower rated QBs in the nation. Is he one of those guys who can’t make players around him better and needs help? Surely he’s neither as good as last year, nor as bad as this year.
I don't think Armstrong is any less talented this year. He's going to play on Sunday. His new OC, on the other hand …

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Looking for accn future replay of yesterday s duke gt game and don't see it scheduled.
Any replay availability info? Thanks

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
If we can beat all the coastal teams and lose only to FSU and Ugag the rest fo the way, we will be in good shape to make it to the ACCC game. I do not think we get there, but it is certainly a possibility now, given our last two wins.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I think it’s plausible.

The way I see it, both us and UVA have byes this week in preparation for the Thursday night game. We’re coming off a high, they’re coming off a low. They’ve lost 3 in a row including 2 pretty bad beat downs against Duke and Louisville. We’ve won 2 close games that could’ve very easily went the other way. We’ll be playing at home with (hopefully) a very energized crowd and I think we’ll be able to hold on in another game that’s close on the scoreboard but that we control the game in. Very similar to how Duke played out.

We get another long week to prepare for FSU, who will be coming off a bye week and a game against Clemson. It’s very likely they will also have 3 straight losses coming into our game with a lot of time to prepare. We could also be a trap game for them, as we are sandwiched between Clemson and Miami on their schedule, but their bye week may mitigate some of that. It’s hard to go into Tallahassee and win, and I think they’re going to be hungry after the Clemson game and a bye week. I think we drop a close one to FSU, kind of the opposite of the Duke game. FSU controls the game but we hang around and keep it close and give ourselves a chance to win. That would put us at 4-4 and 3-2 in conference.

I think we answer big time the next week against VT. They will have just played NC ST on the road in what will likely be a very lopsided game. The Lane Stadium crowd will be small and disinterested. A VT team that’s already not very good. We’ll be coming off our first loss in the Key era and the team will respond with a lot of energy. I think we dominate in all 3 phases of the game and leave Blacksburg with something like a 31-10 victory. That’s gets us to 5-4 and 4-2.

Next week is a home game against Miami. I think this draws the best GT crowd since the 2018 game against Miami. Definitely not a sell out but somewhere in the 45k range. Miami gets FSU at home the week before us. Cristobal’s first real barometer for what he’s going to do. I think they edge out FSU in a heart racing thriller, but can’t settle down enough to get prepared for our game. They make mistakes early, turnovers and penalties. We take advantage and get out ahead early. They make a ferocious comeback but it’s not enough, as the BDS crowd causes chaos on Miami’s last possession of the game. We escape with a 30-28 victory and get bowl eligible at 6-4 and 5-2.

UNC rolls through their next 3 games of Duke, Pitt, and UVA. They’re sitting at 8-1 and 5-0 with their only loss coming to Notre Dame. They get ready for a top 20 matchup against Wake Forest, who just dropped a game to NC St. Wake rallies after an in-state loss to hold off the Tar Holes at home, dropping UNC to 8-2 and 5-1. That means the GT vs. UNC game is for the Coastal title. The rest is to be continued…
Not so fast my friend.....I think Pitt takes out UNC. Because- ACC circle of suck.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
If we can beat all the coastal teams and lose only to FSU and Ugag the rest fo the way, we will be in good shape to make it to the ACCC game. I do not think we get there, but it is certainly a possibility now, given our last two wins.
Beating every Coastal team & not winning the division would be the best way to end the divisional setup... wouldn't it?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Not so fast my friend.....I think Pitt takes out UNC. Because- ACC circle of suck.

Pitt is a good team. UNC is a good team offensively. I can very much see Pitt beating UNC.

What if...GT is now a good team as well? Our offense really hasn't taken off like our defense (though our offense has improved a bit), but we've managed to beat Pitt on the road, and Duke. If our offense improves, GT is a VERY dangerous team. I don't think anyone on our schedule wants to play us at the moment.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Pitt is a good team. UNC is a good team offensively. I can very much see Pitt beating UNC.

What if...GT is now a good team as well? Our offense really hasn't taken off like our defense (though our offense has improved a bit), but we've managed to beat Pitt on the road, and Duke. If our offense improves, GT is a VERY dangerous team. I don't think anyone on our schedule wants to play us at the moment.
If our OL stays healthy, and Sims of course then I 100% believe that we will get better on OFF. If Blackburn can stayon the field then we have a serious weapon all of a sudden.

AugustaSwarm

Jolly Good Fellow
I haven't really taken them seriously all year, but watching them today and they're giving Clempsun the bitniss! When did Syracuse become a real team???