ACC Discussion 2022

Techster

Helluva Engineer
The one thing I've learned over the years is to not put too much stock in the first game of the year.

Their rush defense is leaky, but their new QB looks like he can put up some big numbers once he gets use to his new surroundings. This is Pitt's first game with a new OC and QB, they were not bad. Rushing game might struggle if they don't improve., but WVU's DFEI was a pretty good #32 in the country last year.

LOTS of runway to the season, so we'll see first hand how it plays out for Pitt.

JacketFan137

Banned
The one thing I've learned over the years is to not put too much stock in the first game of the year.

Their rush defense is leaky, but their new QB looks like he can put up some big numbers once he gets use to his new surroundings. This is Pitt's first game with a new OC and QB, they were not bad. Rushing game might struggle if they don't improve., but WVU's DFEI was a pretty good #32 in the country last year.

LOTS of runway to the season, so we'll see first hand how it plays out for Pitt.
their secondary was awful. i think we just have to figure out a way to hold the line for a few ticks and we likely can have opportunities to score. you are right though both teams will get some time to plan and adjust so it won’t be the same pitt team.

i was not super impressed with slovis honestly. he definitely is a huge step back from pickett and addison

Techster

Helluva Engineer
their secondary was awful. i think we just have to figure out a way to hold the line for a few ticks and we likely can have opportunities to score. you are right though both teams will get some time to plan and adjust so it won’t be the same pitt team.

i was not super impressed with slovis honestly. he definitely is a huge step back from pickett and addison

Pickett's first year in Pitt's offense was not that impressive. He looked all world his second year and that catapulted him into a first round NFL pick.

Like I said, give it time. I think Slovis is actually more physically gifted than Pickett is, but QB'ing is all about what's between the ears. First game at a new school with a new OC...I'm surprised he even looked that good...and like you said, Pickett had Addison who is a future 1st round pick as well. Slovis is still adjusting to his weapons.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Pickett's first year in Pitt's offense was not that impressive. He looked all world his second year and that catapulted him into a first round NFL pick.

Like I said, give it time. I think Slovis is actually more physically gifted than Pickett is, but QB'ing is all about what's between the ears. First game at a new school with a new OC...I'm surprised he even looked that good...and like you said, Pickett had Addison who is a future 1st round pick as well. Slovis is still adjusting to his weapons.
Yeah, I thought Slovis looked good. 66%, 308yds, 1 TD, no INT's in that kind of environment is a good night. I thought the most impressive thing he did was bounce back from that one atrocious drive where he was just being indecisive and taking sacks. The next drive, down by 7 midway through the 4th quarter, he goes 5-5 for 73 yards and a TD to tie it up.

YoungSting

Jolly Good Fellow
Yeah, I thought Slovis looked good. 66%, 308yds, 1 TD, no INT's in that kind of environment is a good night. I thought the most impressive thing he did was bounce back from that one atrocious drive where he was just being indecisive and taking sacks. The next drive, down by 7 midway through the 4th quarter, he goes 5-5 for 73 yards and a TD to tie it up.
I say this half jokingly because it’s the first game, but There is caveat I think we are forgetting. That’s still a big 12 defense they played against. So those numbers sound a little more average

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I say this half jokingly because it’s the first game, but There is caveat I think we are forgetting. That’s still a big 12 defense they played against. So those numbers sound a little more average

Obviously different year, different team, but WVU's defense was actually good last year. #32 DFEI last season.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I actually thought the Pitt OL did pretty well in run blocking, especially when they needed hard yards. The pass protection certainly left something to be desired. Not sure if WVU's pass rush is that good or Pitt OL can only run block. Hopefully we can exploit that OL just as well.
I thought Daniels looked pretty good. UGA probably could have used him this year. Bennett will not have the same cast around him this year.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I actually thought the Pitt OL did pretty well in run blocking, especially when they needed hard yards. The pass protection certainly left something to be desired. Not sure if WVU's pass rush is that good or Pitt OL can only run block. Hopefully we can exploit that OL just as well.
Last year Pitt had great qb and wr combo.

We need Sims and one wr to look way better than in past because our ol ( red shirt freshmen) is very young. There is hope for future. Hope that at end of year " we arent sining Dear rich alumni "can't you buy me a wr for next year's mercedes benz?"
We need some outside wr to step up. 11, 25,. !!!

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I thought Pitt looked pretty good Thursday against a P5 opponent. Their offense was better than I expected and their defense was less impressive than I expected, but made plays late in the game when it had to.
it is a winnable game for GT, but GT will almost certainly be a deserved underdog going into that road. Atmosphere was great. I'd say GT's odds in that game are slightly higher than 2 days ago but not much.

While it was just Temple, Duke looked much better than I expected Saturday night. I thought they would look better on D with Elko as HC, and they certainly were holding Temple to less than 180 total yards and 12 first downs. But the offense was much better than I expected. Their QB looked very good, Let's so how they do at NW next weekend, but based on week one this looks like a more difficult game than I was thinking 2 days ago.

VT may be one of our best chances to get a win. Their D was solid (ODU had less than 250 total yards and 14 first downs), but the O was awful. 5 TO's and that muffed FG that turns into an ODU TD, just wow.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
I thought Pitt looked pretty good Thursday against a P5 opponent. Their offense was better than I expected and their defense was less impressive than I expected, but made plays late in the game when it had to.
it is a winnable game for GT, but GT will almost certainly be a deserved underdog going into that road. Atmosphere was great. I'd say GT's odds in that game are slightly higher than 2 days ago but not much.

While it was just Temple, Duke looked much better than I expected Saturday night. I thought they would look better on D with Elko as HC, and they certainly were holding Temple to less than 180 total yards and 12 first downs. But the offense was much better than I expected. Their QB looked very good, Let's so how they do at NW next weekend, but based on week one this looks like a more difficult game than I was thinking 2 days ago.

VT may be one of our best chances to get a win. Their D was solid (ODU had less than 250 total yards and 14 first downs), but the O was awful. 5 TO's and that muffed FG that turns into an ODU TD, just wow.
With regards to VT, 5 turnovers make any offense look weak. Based on our inability to get turnovers, would they look as ineffective against us? Plus one game being game one is not a great indicator of what happens throughout the season.