ACC Discussion 2022

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
This is very true.

Though UNC is by far the best passing team we will face all season.
I think the comment I saw last week by a stat head about UNC-Pitt says it all about UNC - they are good at one thing - passing the ball - and that one thing was enough to beat Pitt.
It has been largely good enough to beat almost everyone on their schedule so far.
They average just under 500 yards per game with 167 on the ground. Maye (their QB) is their leading rusher with 500+ yards rushing. He is really good and has good receivers as well. Over 300 passes with 31 TDs and 3 Ints. He can make any throw, has great field vision and anticipation. It's likely going to be a long day for our defense.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I'm calling you out on this. This is about a big a risk slugboy as what @kg01 takes in the recruiting forums with his recruiting "predictions". Doesn't Miami do that at the end of every season? As well as get voted into the top 25 every preseason????? ;)

Shocked Pop Tv GIF by Nightcap

#Still100%
(You ain't lyin' tho.)

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
Cuse, after starting on fire, had gone 1-3 against their tough stretch, including losing 3iar.
FSU, wake, and BC coming up. If we go off of favorites, they could finish the season 7-5.
Tough luck that they got FSU and ND later in the year, as both are playing at a much higher level than they were early in the year.

I’ve said it before but if we don’t get a system guy as HC, we need to take a long look at Robert Anae as our OC. He made Brendan Armstrong look 10x better than he does this season, and has Cuse much better on O in his only year there. He can obviously coach QBs and help them be successful.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
They average just under 500 yards per game with 167 on the ground. Maye (their QB) is their leading rusher with 500+ yards rushing. He is really good and has good receivers as well. Over 300 passes with 31 TDs and 3 Ints. He can make any throw, has great field vision and anticipation. It's likely going to be a long day for our defense.
He's alot of fun to watch. He moves around really well, can throw on the run and is not afraid to take off and rush for yardage.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Cuse, after starting on fire, had gone 1-3 against their tough stretch, including losing 3iar.
FSU, wake, and BC coming up. If we go off of favorites, they could finish the season 7-5.
Tough luck that they got FSU and ND later in the year, as both are playing at a much higher level than they were early in the year.

I’ve said it before but if we don’t get a system guy as HC, we need to take a long look at Robert Anae as our OC. He made Brendan Armstrong look 10x better than he does this season, and has Cuse much better on O in his only year there. He can obviously coach QBs and help them be successful.

LOVE this kind of thinking.

GT's future coach doesn't need to like a CPJ where he's the mastermind behind the offense or defense, the new HFC just needs to understand getting a good offensive mind to run his offense or defense is just as good. Ross/O'Leary were smart about that. That's exactly the route that Saban built his empire, and what made Dabo's program a powerhouse until he decided to promote within.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member

In fairness, 'Cuse also got lucky to get Louisville game 1 and NC State after Leary got hurt. Probably a wash on luck.

Robert Anae is interesting and deserves some credit for Syracuse's offensive improvement, but I'm cautious about anointing him because of it. Consider the circumstances he inherited:
  • Most returning offensive line starts in the ACC. This matters a TON. (Compare that to UVA having an entirely new OL this year...)
  • Second year starting QB... generally expected to make a leap
  • Sean Tucker... considered a top 3 RB in the country this year, worst case top 5
Now, folks point to Shrader's (QB) stats with Anae. Who takes responsibility for Tucker's lack of production? Zero sum?

I'm waiting to see how the rest of the season plays out. Shrader is week-to-week (injury), so it might be a tough way to measure. Next year will be telling.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I wonder if Maye will try his hand at the transfer portal this fall? He could be in for a windfall with all the programs that would bid for his services.
Not likely . Brother played BB at UNC. Lots of North Carolina people think UNC is the ultimate college in the entire universe. He is where he wants to be. Bigger question is how long ole Mack keeps coaching.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I wonder if Maye will try his hand at the transfer portal this fall? He could be in for a windfall with all the programs that would bid for his services.

UNC has NIL money to compete. If he does go portaling, it will be because he thinks another school will prepare him for the NFL better.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
UNC has NIL money to compete. If he does go portaling, it will be because he thinks another school will prepare him for the NFL better.
Really no need for him to go anywhere. He has everyone's attention already, so going to a Bama won't do much other than perhaps increase his NIL for a season. The NFL will find standout talent. He'd be a top draft choice even if he played for us.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Really no need for him to go anywhere. He has everyone's attention already, so going to a Bama won't do much other than perhaps increase his NIL for a season. The NFL will find standout talent. He'd be a top draft choice even if he played for us.
If that's true then why did Gibbs transfer to Bama?

I genuinely don't know, so not trying to be snotty...

slugboy

Staff member
If that's true then why did Gibbs transfer to Bama?

I genuinely don't know, so not trying to be snotty...
UNC just got a QB into the NFL. They're 8-1 overall, and currently in the lead to play in the ACC title game from the Coastal division. They regularly go to good bowl games. As bad as they are on defense, they're one of the better offenses in the NCAA and a great showcase for an offensive player.

Gibbs family thought that Alabama was a better path for their son to the NFL than here. We are currently one of the worst offenses in the P5. He was regularly getting hit behind the line of scrimmage just after a handoff last year. There were a ton of reasons to think his highlight tape would be better at Alabama this year based just on blocking up front (that hasn't quite panned out, but he's well thought of as a player). He was high up on the Heisman odds board at the beginning of the season, and he probably wouldn't have been here.

If you're a good to great player, you don't need to transfer away from a good ACC team. We're not a good team right now.

And, pure speculation, if Collins had been fired last season, you might wonder if some of our transfers might not have transferred.

TL;DR: If you want to be a place for star offensive players to play, have a good offense.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
TL;DR: If you want to be a place for star offensive players to play, have a good offense.
And have a great NIL program. I've heard that we couldn't get a NIL deal to match what he got at Bama, but that is pure hearsay and might be simply made up stuff.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
UNC just got a QB into the NFL. They're 8-1 overall, and currently in the lead to play in the ACC title game from the Coastal division. They regularly go to good bowl games. As bad as they are on defense, they're one of the better offenses in the NCAA and a great showcase for an offensive player.

Gibbs family thought that Alabama was a better path for their son to the NFL than here. We are currently one of the worst offenses in the P5. He was regularly getting hit behind the line of scrimmage just after a handoff last year. There were a ton of reasons to think his highlight tape would be better at Alabama this year based just on blocking up front (that hasn't quite panned out, but he's well thought of as a player). He was high up on the Heisman odds board at the beginning of the season, and he probably wouldn't have been here.

If you're a good to great player, you don't need to transfer away from a good ACC team. We're not a good team right now.

And, pure speculation, if Collins had been fired last season, you might wonder if some of our transfers might not have transferred.

On a related note... well, “related” is a stretch maybe, but anyway... Bama’s blocking ain’t great. I thought that even early in the Utah St game. It did not look like a Bama line.
We have a guy here who presumably left Bama to rebuild our OL. Both teams now seem to struggle. Our reasons for struggling are much more obvious and understandable. However, another guy at Bama has something to say about their offensive line and he’s a guy who is now in the discussion for us too.
Someone dissect the Bama OL / offensive issues for me....