ACC Discussion 2022

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I think FSU is finally finding themselves. We have gotten used to taking whippings, so we didn’t recognize how well FSU is stating to play.
Hopefully Miami has a little damage to psyche... I think we can play with Them.
We absolutely can

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Call me crazy but I think if we beat UM the we are going to give UNC all they want, the boys in white and gold are going to put it all on the line to try to make a bowl, and watching UVA come within 3 of UNC gives me some hope. The Tare-heels defense is shockingly bad.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Call me crazy but I think if we beat UM the we are going to give UNC all they want, the boys in white and gold are going to put it all on the line to try to make a bowl, and watching UVA come within 3 of UNC gives me some hope. The Tare-heels defense is shockingly bad.
Seems odd but ok ....

You raise a good point, Crazy. The reality is most of these teams aren't that much better than us. If we get our sh*t together, the new coach can walk in here and make some hay faster than the eggsperts think.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Clemson wrapped up the Atlantic title with Pitt beating Syracuse yesterday, but it wouldn't shock me to see them lose again before the ACC CG. Their offense is sort of a mess and neither QB is playing well.

They beat Syracuse because they switched QB and basically told him to hand off every play and their OL was able to bully Syracuse's DL.
Against ND they were unable to run against ND's DL and ND's OL bullied Clemson's DL.

Their message boards are not happy this morning. Alot of them feel like Dabo's program has gotten stale because he has been hiring internally or friends as new asst coaches rather than trying to get the best coaches on the market. They are also upset he won't use the transfer portal.

In the Coastal UNC, Duke and GT are all still mathematically alive to make the ACC CG. UNC obviously has the best chance. They simply have to win one of their last 3 games against @Wake, GT, NCST.
Duke needs to win out and have UNC lose 2 of their last 3.
GT needs to win out and have UNC lose out and have Duke lose one of their last 3 against VT, @Pitt, Wake.

Techfan02

Ramblin' Wreck
Clemson wrapped up the Atlantic title with Pitt beating Syracuse yesterday, but it wouldn't shock me to see them lose again before the ACC CG. Their offense is sort of a mess and neither QB is playing well.

They beat Syracuse because they switched QB and basically told him to hand off every play and their OL was able to bully Syracuse's DL.
Against ND they were unable to run against ND's DL and ND's OL bullied Clemson's DL.

Their message boards are not happy this morning. Alot of them feel like Dabo's program has gotten stale because he has been hiring internally or friends as new asst coaches rather than trying to get the best coaches on the market. They are also upset he won't use the transfer portal.

In the Coastal UNC, Duke and GT are all still mathematically alive to make the ACC CG. UNC obviously has the best chance. They simply have to win one of their last 3 games against @Wake, GT, NCST.
Duke needs to win out and have UNC lose 2 of their last 3.
GT needs to win out and have UNC lose out and have Duke lose one of their last 3 against VT, @Pitt, Wake.
Truth be told Unc loosing last 3 isn't imposible with that D

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
AXX will likely miss the CFP this year
I think a 1 loss ACC champ deserves to go over a 1 loss SEC team that does not play in its championship. An undefeated SEC losing in the SEC championship is getting into the CFP no matter what sadly.

With 5 power conferences, you control your destiny until you lose once. Not sure how a one loss UNC could go over 1 loss Oregon for example.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
UNC's offense is close to elite. If they had a defense, they would probably the favorite to win the ACC. They have the money, so there's a chance they get the defense addressed this offseason. The only P5 team with a worse defense than UNC is Arizona.

It would be very interesting to replay our schedule with this version of our team.

slugboy

Staff member
We’re an interesting matchup against UNC. Our defense gets turnovers, and their defense might be weak enough for us to score on, especially if our offense improves over the next few weeks.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
UNC's offense is close to elite. If they had a defense, they would probably the favorite to win the ACC. They have the money, so there's a chance they get the defense addressed this offseason. The only P5 team with a worse defense than UNC is Arizona.

It would be very interesting to replay our schedule with this version of our team.
This team could very easily be 6-3 right now. We definitely should’ve beat both UCF and Virginia.
But, we could also very easily be 1-8. If the former guy had been coaching all year I think there’s a good chance that’s where we would be.

Pitt missed a lot of opportunities to capitalize on our mistakes. We threw 4 passes that hit Pitt defenders right in the hands and they dropped them. A couple of ugly, one score wins against bad Duke and VT teams got us where we are.

I think what’s really disheartening is that this team had a ton of potential. We really haven’t played a super clean and cohesive game all year, and we could still go bowling. There was a lot more talent on the team, and there has been for the last 4 years to be as bad as we’ve been. Add in Gibbs, Ivey, Domineck, Jamious Griffin, and Wesley Walker, GT might’ve been the actual best team in the Coastal. We’d still have OL trouble, but just having Gibbs in the backfield would take a lot of heat off our QBs, because they’d have to respect his ability to catch and run. Our defense is still playing really well in spite of losing some of our best players from last year. We have 21 sacks as a team, and Domineck and Ivey combine for 10 more at their respective schools. Such a shame.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
We’re an interesting matchup against UNC. Our defense gets turnovers, and their defense might be weak enough for us to score on, especially if our offense improves over the next few weeks.
Other than FSU, no team has been able to pass at will against us. I am hoping we learned some lessons in the FSU loss and are ready when UNC takes the field.

Ole miss moved the ball at will, but it was much more run it down our throats oriented.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Other than FSU, no team has been able to pass at will against us. I am hoping we learned some lessons in the FSU loss and are ready when UNC takes the field.

Ole miss moved the ball at will, but it was much more run it down our throats oriented.
This is very true.

Though UNC is by far the best passing team we will face all season.
I think the comment I saw last week by a stat head about UNC-Pitt says it all about UNC - they are good at one thing - passing the ball - and that one thing was enough to beat Pitt.
It has been largely good enough to beat almost everyone on their schedule so far.

slugboy

Staff member
Ole Miss runs a lot, and not just to close a game out. They have almost twice as many rushing attempts as passing attempts, and most of their yards and TDs come on the ground. We aren’t the only team they ran all over this year.
Next week is Alabama, and I think that will be a bigger challenge for them.

As for our game against UNC, we’ve got Miami first, and they’ll look really good getting off the bus. I’m not sure how well we match up against Miami next week. Against UNC, we have to match them score for score. Our turnover ratio helps us a lot there, but we need to get interceptions. On offense, we need to be efficient, and I think we’re more efficient with Pyron.

I hope Sims is healthy and ready for Miami next week.

I haven’t watched much of either team this year so far—a little of UNC.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Ole Miss runs a lot, and not just to close a game out. They have almost twice as many rushing attempts as passing attempts, and most of their yards and TDs come on the ground. We aren’t the only team they ran all over this year.
Next week is Alabama, and I think that will be a bigger challenge for them.

As for our game against UNC, we’ve got Miami first, and they’ll look really good getting off the bus. I’m not sure how well we match up against Miami next week. Against UNC, we have to match them score for score. Our turnover ratio helps us a lot there, but we need to get interceptions. On offense, we need to be efficient, and I think we’re more efficient with Pyron.

I hope Sims is healthy and ready for Miami next week.

I haven’t watched much of either team this year so far—a little of UNC.
I have also not watched any of Miami's games, but on paper, they should be much better than their record. It seems Miami’s starter (Van Dyke) may be out. It also seems they have been regressing through the season regardless of QB, so I’m hoping their trend continues. I mean, Duke hung 45 on them, and they only had 62 yards through the air total against FSU. It’s really puzzling because they put up nearly 500 yards passing against UNC, but only scored 24 points and lost.

slugboy

Staff member
I have also not watched any of Miami's games, but on paper, they should be much better than their record. It seems Miami’s starter (Van Dyke) may be out. It also seems they have been regressing through the season regardless of QB, so I’m hoping their trend continues. I mean, Duke hung 45 on them, and they only had 62 yards through the air total against FSU. It’s really puzzling because they put up nearly 500 yards passing against UNC, but only scored 24 points and lost.
I think Elko is a good coach for Duke, and they’re playing well. I’m sure Miami believes they should never lose to Duke, though

I don’t know what’s going on in Miami. As a wild guess, there’s either a shakeup of assistants or players or both this off season.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I don’t know what’s going on in Miami. As a wild guess, there’s either a shakeup of assistants or players or both this off season.

I'm calling you out on this. This is about a big a risk slugboy as what @kg01 takes in the recruiting forums with his recruiting "predictions". Doesn't Miami do that at the end of every season? As well as get voted into the top 25 every preseason????? ;)

slugboy

Staff member
I'm calling you out on this. This is about a big a risk slugboy as what @kg01 takes in the recruiting forums with his recruiting "predictions". Doesn't Miami do that at the end of every season? As well as get voted into the top 25 every preseason????? ;)

This year feels different because they ponied up SO MUCH dough for Cristobal, and they had hype for Van Dyke, and the season went sideways. Either the players aren’t buying in or the coaches can’t hack it, or both.

Could the answer really be “the ingredients are right, but it just needs more time to come together?” Seems doubtful
the mueller report see GIF

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
This year feels different because they ponied up SO MUCH dough for Cristobal, and they had hype for Van Dyke, and the season went sideways. Either the players aren’t buying in or the coaches can’t hack it, or both.

Could the answer really be “the ingredients are right, but it just needs more time to come together?” Seems doubtful
the mueller report see GIF
He’s gotta get his own players in and establish a new culture(if possible), they Currently have a “team” full of punks