ACC Discussion 2019

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Narduzzi adding to the ACC coaching clinic today.

Situation:
  • Pitt ball, down 7
  • 5 minutes to go
  • 4th and goal from the Penn State 1
Decision
  • Field goal attempt

Result is not the point, but if you're wondering the kicker missed it.

I posted this in the general CFB thread but feels relevant here.

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports...leem-brightwell-delaware/stories/201909160137
“Usually, you can find some kind of old football guy coach speak justification for a terrible, terrible, terrible decision in terms of win probability. This doesn’t even have that,” said Jeremy Abramson, a professor and sports analytics expert at the Information Sciences Institute at the University of Southern California. “This is absent of any kind of coherent thought process.”

FightWinDrink

Helluva Engineer
Duke +3 should have been the easiest money of the week. it's not 2004. Duke isn't fielding a D2 roster and VT is a complete dumpster fire now. Duke shouldnt have been even close to being the underdog

FightWinDrink

Helluva Engineer
Yea that was a bad bet by me. I had no idea vt was this bad.
they are the ACC team I give us the best chance to beat. they are terrible. they got lucky to beat Furman

The fan base has completely given up on Fuente and are super depressed with Foster having 1 foot in retirement. They can't afford Fuente's buy out either

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
they are the ACC team I give us the best chance to beat. they are terrible. they got lucky to beat Furman

The fan base has completely given up on Fuente and are super depressed with Foster having 1 foot in retirement. They can't afford Fuente's buy out either

Wait till UVa humiliates VT. The buyout will look good then. Regardless of the dollars.

dmel25

Jolly Good Fellow

My mom is a VT fan, has been for 25-30 years or so and she has all but given up on VT because she can't stand Fuente. She thinks he sucks and can't wait for him to go, which she is hoping is this season.

Who knows with Bud Foster leaving maybe VT will just do a clean house and get all new staff?

stech81

Helluva Engineer

Yes VT is bad but right now I have not seen anything that tells me we can beat them.

If we stick with am T Oliver QB and run the ball we can beat VT. Duke, not so sure. We just need to get back to GT running football and we may be ok. We will see tomorrow.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Don't underestimate Uva’s ability to lose to any VT team

9 years in a row or something. That's why this year's game should be the turning point. And there will be no mercy in running up the score.

That VT-Duke game was just ugly football from the 20 minutes I watched. Life is too short for bad football.

I thought about starting a thread on how weak Coastal is overall. Best is UVa at #27 by JHowell http://www.jhowell.net/cf/cf2019.htm Arguably one of the weakest divisions of the P5. Overall ACC tied for second with 4th & 5th not far behind. Take out best team in each conference and I wonder where the ACC would be?

slugboy

Staff member
For those not watching, what are you talking about?

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/duke/article234716292.html

https://gtswarm.com/threads/duke-running-the-triple-option.19050/

Wasn’t super effective the way they ran it, but they’d line up in a flexbone. It wasn’t just “we’ll adapt some principles” it was more of a “we’ll copy the formation and run it identically, or try to” approach.

+++++

While I’m at it:

(In case Twitter doesn’t show, here’s a screen shot:
361c843ce2b60e10ee9d7b613b2af8a1.jpg

)

and @GTNavyNuke I might have argued with you about the coastal last year (and I think I did), but this year it looks clearly like the weakest of the P5 divisions, and weaker than a lot of G5 conferences.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited: