ACC Discussion 2019-20

Deleted member 2897

Only circumstance where that could happen is by playing a SWAC-only schedule.

If you are expected to beat Kansas, Baylor, Gonzaga, etc. and you do, whether or not it is by the expected margin, you will be rated higher than those teams.

The KenPom spread is calculated based on strength of the teams participating.

I remember when we beat top 10 Louisville and our ranking hardly changed. Louisville once lost twice to mediocre teams in the same week and their rating hardly budged.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I remember when we beat top 10 Louisville and our ranking hardly changed. Louisville once lost twice to mediocre teams in the same week and their rating hardly budged.
I don't recall that and it would surprise me, but I'd believe it in strange scenarios e.g., there's a lot of top wins by teams in our general ranking.

More than likely I'm guessing it was a timing issue.

ETA: The win isn't/wasn't as impressive as it might seem on the surface. We were a 6 point dog at home vs. Louisville. By comparison, we were a 7 point dog @ Notre Dame.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Our team was a real spoiler down the stretch. Probably kept a couple of teams out of the NIT. Clemson has had some good wins but their record is not good enough in the conference. This may put Brunnel on a very hot seat. That is if they even care about basketball now.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
We're one of only five teams to finish above 500 in ACC play. I hope they put our 4 tourney teams into separate region.

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
Only 5 ACC teams finished above .500 in conference this season and GT was one of 'em. When was the last time GT was looking at ten teams below them in the final conference standings.

The aCc lacked the star scorers, especially at the top, but the two bottom tiers of the ACC were pretty dang strong. Again, not a lot of great scorers in the league this year, but the games were grinding, competitive and hard fought.

We beat Pitt & Clemson in our last two games because we had bucket-makers at the end and they did not. Who woulda thunk it?

Deleted member 2897

Heeeeyyyyyyyyyyyyyoooii!!!!

FSU and Virginia cut off.....5th place!

WCF4hNI.png

MiracleWhips

Ramblin' Wreck
Imagine in November if someone told you we would end acc play one spot behind dook. You’d probably slap the **** outta of them

Deleted member 2897

Virginia won 8 in a row to finish 2nd in the ACC. Their record looks like everyone else’s at the top. KenPom is #44 LOL.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Here is a list of the seniors and, imo, possible early departures from the ACC this year.

FSU - Trent Forrest (SR)
Duke - Vernon Carey, Wendell Moore, Cassius Stanley, Tre Jones
UL - Enoch (SR), Sutton(SR), McMahon (SR), Kimble (SR), Nwora
UVA - Mamadi Diakite (Sr), Braxton Key (SR)
GT - Banks (SR)
NCSU - CJ Bryce (SR), Markell Johnson (SR)
ND - John Mooney (SR), TJ Gibbs (SR), Juwan Durham (SR), Rex Pfluger (9th year senior)
Cuse - Elijah Hughes
Clemson - Tevin Mack (SR), Curran Scott(SR)
VT - Landers Nolley
Miami - Devin Vasiljevic (SR), Keith Stone (SR)
BC -Derryck Thorton (SR), Nik Popvic (SR), Jared Hamilton (SR)
Pitt - Eric Hamilton (SR)
Wake - Brandon Childress (SR), Adrien White (SR), Torry Johnson (SR)
UNC - Cole Anthony, Garrison Brooks, Brandon Robinson (SR), Justin Pierce (SR), Christian Keeling (SR)

Obviously who exactly will be leaving next year isn't set in stone, but it gives a rough idea of where things stand.

Some thoughts.

It will be interesting to see how good UL is next year with how much they are losing, especially if Nwora goes pro. I could see a very big step back for them, although they have a pretty solid class coming in.

FSU could really be a great team next year based on how good they are now and how little they lose. Forrest is a big loss himself, but they play so many players that only losing one is a pretty big deal. I expect them, Duke, and UVA to be at the top of the standings again next year.

UNC loses a lot, but they bring in a huge class. It'll be interesting to see how big a jump they make next year. Cuse could be a very good team next year, especially if Hughes returns. GT only loses one rotation player and if we somehow manage to pull Sotto we'll be set up very well. I'd say this group of 3 will probably produce at least one serious challenger to the above 3 and likely will all be NCAAT barring unexpected developments.

I expect ND and NCSU to both take a step back. I could see Clemson, Miami, VT, and Pitt taking steps forward. I expect BC and Wake to fight for the bottom again next year

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Here is a list of the seniors and, imo, possible early departures from the ACC this year.

FSU - Trent Forrest (SR)
Duke - Vernon Carey, Wendell Moore, Cassius Stanley, Tre Jones
UL - Enoch (SR), Sutton(SR), McMahon (SR), Kimble (SR), Nwora
UVA - Mamadi Diakite (Sr), Braxton Key (SR)
GT - Banks (SR)
NCSU - CJ Bryce (SR), Markell Johnson (SR)
ND - John Mooney (SR), TJ Gibbs (SR), Juwan Durham (SR), Rex Pfluger (9th year senior)
Cuse - Elijah Hughes
Clemson - Tevin Mack (SR), Curran Scott(SR)
VT - Landers Nolley
Miami - Devin Vasiljevic (SR), Keith Stone (SR)
BC -Derryck Thorton (SR), Nik Popvic (SR), Jared Hamilton (SR)
Pitt - Eric Hamilton (SR)
Wake - Brandon Childress (SR), Adrien White (SR), Torry Johnson (SR)
UNC - Cole Anthony, Garrison Brooks, Brandon Robinson (SR), Justin Pierce (SR), Christian Keeling (SR)

Obviously who exactly will be leaving next year isn't set in stone, but it gives a rough idea of where things stand.

Some thoughts.

It will be interesting to see how good UL is next year with how much they are losing, especially if Nwora goes pro. I could see a very big step back for them, although they have a pretty solid class coming in.

FSU could really be a great team next year based on how good they are now and how little they lose. Forrest is a big loss himself, but they play so many players that only losing one is a pretty big deal. I expect them, Duke, and UVA to be at the top of the standings again next year.

UNC loses a lot, but they bring in a huge class. It'll be interesting to see how big a jump they make next year. Cuse could be a very good team next year, especially if Hughes returns. GT only loses one rotation player and if we somehow manage to pull Sotto we'll be set up very well. I'd say this group of 3 will probably produce at least one serious challenger to the above 3 and likely will all be NCAAT barring unexpected developments.

I expect ND and NCSU to both take a step back. I could see Clemson, Miami, VT, and Pitt taking steps forward. I expect BC and Wake to fight for the bottom again next year
Thanks for sharing. Do you think the ACC regains its form next year in terms of NCAAT credentials?

I have a fairly myopic view beyond GT and Cuse. On the latter, it's 99% expected that Hughes goes pro. Age is a factor. If he goes, I don't see Cuse being any better than this year. More likely the same or worse. Hughes is a pro and made everyone else better.

Seth Towns is in theory an impact transfer and has UVA and Syracuse on his short list of 6.

Interested in @Peacone36's take re: ACC landscape next year too.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Thanks for sharing. Do you think the ACC regains its form next year in terms of NCAAT credentials?

To some degree yes, but I wouldn't be expecting 3#1s or 11 NCAAT teams next year but I would expect 6 or 7 NCAAT teams at least.

As it stands now I would say FSU, Duke, UVA, UNC, and GT are poised to make the NCAAT next year based on what they return/add. There are some teams like UL, Cuse (if Hughes goes pro), and NCSU which are hard to get a read on because of what they lose. You also have teams like Clemson, VT, and Pitt that you have you wondering how much of a jump they can make. GT somewhat falls into that category but IMO the way we played when healthy separates us from that group a little.

IMO there are two factors I think will play an important role for the ACC perception. The first is who returns. Jones and Brooks returning would go a long way for the perception of the conference. But the ACC also needs to avoid inexplicable early departures from some of those on the most improved list that might have aspirations of grandeur. The second is pre conference play, and that includes the NCAAT/NIT this year. If, for instance, we get all 4 teams in the NCAAT to reach the sweet 16 then it might shed a better light on the conference and get people thinking the ACC was underrated.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
BC - Don't see them moving up regardless of who a new coach might be. With Popovic departing they are really undersized. They have alot of guards though.

Clemson - I think they will be better next season. The 2 grad transfers aren't going to be huge losses imo. Nick Honor will be eligible after sitting out this year and 2 4* forwards will help.

Duke - Carey is the only definite departure. Will Jones jump?

FSU - They are likely to lose Fr Patrick Williams and So Devin Vassell to the NBA. They are always deep so I don't expect anything but a minor drop off.

GT - If all 7 rotation players return Pastner needs to have an NCAA team.

L'ville - Lose alot, but have a strong recruiting class. A couple of highly regarded FR barely played this year. Mack is a really good coach. I don't expect too much of a dropoff.

Miami - Vasiljevic is the bigger loss here. They have 5* Earl Timberlake coming in. Should be a stronger team.

NCSU - Lose Johnson, Bryce, and grad transfer Andree. Both Funderburk and Daniels are R-Jr. Do either decide to leave? They have a very strong recruiting class coming in. Whether they get solid PG play will determine how good they are.

ND - This is one team poised to take a big drop. Lose 4 out of 5 starters.

UNC - Does Brooks leave with Anthony and the JR. That will have a significant impact on them next year. They have a great recruiting class coming in and Anthony Harris coming back from Injury, but Roy tends to struggle with younger teams.

Pitt - Basically return everyone and add a good recruiting class. There are rumors that 1 or 2 of their perimeter players may transfer, something to watch. Need to get better post play and need a shooter.

Syracuse - This one is all about Hughes. Does he return or not. As Cuse mentioned he is older. If he leaves I think they stay about the same as this year. Which could mean falling back slightly as I think the conference as a whole will be stronger.

UVA - Lose Key and Diakite, but Clark returns, Woldentensae seemed to get comfortable later in the season and the FR got min. They have Sam Hauser who sat out this year after transferring from Marquette and a good FR class. I expect them to be better next season.

VT - on paper they return everyone. There were whispers that Nolley was going to go to the NBA, but his last 3rd of the season was forgettable. They have 2 more good guards coming in and Wofford big man Aluma becomes eligible. I expect them to be better than this year, but don't know how much unless Aluma can really play at an ACC level. They could run 5 guard sets.

Wake - Yuck, Besides the SR will Sarr think about leaving. He had a good Jr year. Incoming class is weak. Likely worse than last year. Fanbase is just hoping Wake eats Manning's contract and moves on. If they don't they might have 100 people in the stands.

I expect the ACC to be stronger next year. Most teams should be improved from this season (ND and Wake look like the 2 exceptions). I'm thinking 6-8 teams make the Tourney. GT needs to be one of them.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer

I have a fairly myopic view beyond GT and Cuse. On the latter, it's 99% expected that Hughes goes pro. Age is a factor. If he goes, I don't see Cuse being any better than this year. More likely the same or worse. Hughes is a pro and made everyone else better.

Seth Towns is in theory an impact transfer and has UVA and Syracuse on his short list of 6.

Interested in @Peacone36's take re: ACC landscape next year too.

I expect Miami, Pitt and Clemson to be better, while expecting Notre Dame, Louisville and Florida State (Depending on if DV leaves) to be significantly worse.

I love Isaiah Wong at Miami, I think he is a star as soon as next season, the same with Justin Champagnie at Pitt.

If we are able to land a talented big that can play right away I think we dance, assuming Jose, Mike, Moses, Jordan, Khalid, and Bubba are back.

I am going to do a "WTE" ACC look ahead for the site probably after the tournament with my full thoughts and predictions.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Chris Herren and Jairus Hamilton are transferring from BC. They might be smaller than VT next year.
Steffon Mitchell is the only player returning over 6'7 who played any minutes last year.